93 Octane vs e85 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
93 Octane vs e85

So which is better in a n/a car in hot weather like florida? Been thinking about switching to e85 after a friend of mine dynoed at bbr 450 hp 451 torque on longtubes, offroad x pipe, jlt intake and 47lb injectors manual tranny.
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Id tune for 93 (what I do)
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
E85 when tuned right acts as race gas... But you will need to change a lot of your fuel delivery for it... You will also get noticeably worse mpg with E85. (And you will also be supporting the increasing debt of the government through corn subsidies).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
E85 when tuned right acts as race gas... But you will need to change a lot of your fuel delivery for it... You will also get noticeably worse mpg with E85. (And you will also be supporting the increasing debt of the government through corn subsidies).
This from a unemployed college student? If your so GREEN, why aren't you riding a bicycle and saving the environment?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This has been beat to death at least 746^100 times, but all I'm going to say is e85 is better. I wrote books in the other threads. Maybe someone will post links to them but I'm lazy lol
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
This from a unemployed college student? If your so GREEN, why aren't you riding a bicycle and saving the environment?
I live on campus and haven't driven my car in 2 weeks...

HID end all thread
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
This has been beat to death at least 746^100 times, but all I'm going to say is e85 is better. I wrote books in the other threads. Maybe someone will post links to them but I'm lazy lol
I know man I read many threads on e85 but not comparing both, one thread only...I would have to get an sct, injectors and dyno tune so idk if 800 bucks is worth it

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post

I know man I read many threads on e85 but not comparing both, one thread only...I would have to get an sct, injectors and dyno tune so idk if 800 bucks is worth it
Which 47lb injectors do I need? Long or medium?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you are NA you might as well stick with 93 octane, but if you go FI then it would be smart to switch over.

HID end all thread
Old 10-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
E85 eats up a lot of things and drys stuff out..hard on a motor.. No bad for it just hard on it
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
E85 eats up a lot of things and drys stuff out..hard on a motor.. No bad for it just hard on it
Show me proof of that!

I've changed my oil routinely every 4000k on my lightning that uses E85 only, and the oil comes out looking brand new! Sure, I get 12mpg on the highway but I'm also making almost 600rwhp. So I spend $2/gallon or less for what is technically race gas that gives me zero detonation and a noticeable 20+HP at the wheels. And that's just from switching over.

Ozzy, these coyote motors are high compression. High compression motors are way more susceptive to detonation than low compression and they also make a good use of engine timing and cam timing. This is why we can go from non-tuned to tuned and get a noticeable HP increase. The more you wind up the motor the greater chance you have of starving it for fuel. When that happens, or when you get a ****ty batch of 93 octane you will get detonation and it will hurt your engine. Now, the average BAMA 93 octane tune is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about kill/race tunes that are aggressive and make the most out of whatever fuel you are running. At a NA level, it's imperative that you use good fuel when maximizing a set-up. Equally as much as if you were FI. So don't go off of people who don't use e85, because they are probably giving some spill they read off the Internet. I use e85...have used e85...will use e85. Atleast until race gas is just as cheap lol.

Having said all of that, get a 93 octane tune for daily duty and a e85 tune for the track.. And thank me later. Is it worth it? How much does a new engine cost? All you need is injectors an I would get injector dynamics. Here I go writing books again... Lol
Old 10-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Show me proof of that!
It turns rubber seals into jelly over time.

I've delivered E85 to gas stations by the truckload, 8,900 gallons at a time and in a matter of weeks, the rubber seals in my delivery hoses would get mushy and start leaking. Before we started delivering E85 the seals would easily last over 6 months.

Now I realize the delivery hoses on my truck will pass through a heck of a lot more E85 than a single car would in its lifetime. I'm just sharing my experience with the stuff. Oh and I've ran a couple of tanks through my FlexFuel F150 and my MPG dropped to 11 from 16.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

It turns rubber seals into jelly over time.

I've delivered E85 to gas stations by the truckload, 8,900 gallons at a time and in a matter of weeks, the rubber seals in my delivery hoses would get mushy and start leaking. Before we started delivering E85 the seals would easily last over 6 months.

Now I realize the delivery hoses on my truck will pass through a heck of a lot more E85 than a single car would in its lifetime. I'm just sharing my experience with the stuff. Oh and I've ran a couple of tanks through my FlexFuel F150 and my MPG dropped to 11 from 16.
Well I don't have any rubber seals to wear out I guess. My truck has all steel braided fuel lines. So I guess that's the difference? If I put a blower on my 5.0 I'll be running e85 in it too
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Show me proof of that!

I've changed my oil routinely every 4000k on my lightning that uses E85 only, and the oil comes out looking brand new! Sure, I get 12mpg on the highway but I'm also making almost 600rwhp. So I spend $2/gallon or less for what is technically race gas that gives me zero detonation and a noticeable 20+HP at the wheels. And that's just from switching over.

Ozzy, these coyote motors are high compression. High compression motors are way more susceptive to detonation than low compression and they also make a good use of engine timing and cam timing. This is why we can go from non-tuned to tuned and get a noticeable HP increase. The more you wind up the motor the greater chance you have of starving it for fuel. When that happens, or when you get a ****ty batch of 93 octane you will get detonation and it will hurt your engine. Now, the average BAMA 93 octane tune is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about kill/race tunes that are aggressive and make the most out of whatever fuel you are running. At a NA level, it's imperative that you use good fuel when maximizing a set-up. Equally as much as if you were FI. So don't go off of people who don't use e85, because they are probably giving some spill they read off the Internet. I use e85...have used e85...will use e85. Atleast until race gas is just as cheap lol.

Having said all of that, get a 93 octane tune for daily duty and a e85 tune for the track.. And thank me later. Is it worth it? How much does a new engine cost? All you need is injectors an I would get injector dynamics. Here I go writing books again... Lol
Thank you, your always going out of your way to help me out. I wonder if anyone will ever tune with intune diablosport in the future, bbr wont here in miami and niether does power by the hour. Kinda regretting the intune right now, but the bright side I can always have 93 from bama and now e85 from possibly bbr
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The E85 fuel around here (East central Indiana, West central Ohio) is too inconsistent.

When I ran E85 in my race quad, I was constantly changing the jetting every time I bought new fuel. As the mix was always different every week. Also, it used about 35% more fuel when on E85 vs race gas. I also had to drain the carb every time I rode it because if I let it sit for more than a day, the jet would get clogged.

I know several people with high horse power cars (up to 1250 awhp) that run E85 but they stick to only one station ( Southport Road, Meijer in Indianapolis ) and only during certain months (late spring, summer and early fall) as their E85 is very consistent on the summer blend and they have all new tanks, etc..

I have heard horror stories from some of these guys who purchased E85 elsewhere and had several issues with getting their cars running properly (water in the fuel from crappy tanks, E70 instead of E85, etc). To the point that most of them just drained their tanks and purchased fuel from their usual location.

I would ask the local hot rodders in your area about E85. It's a great fuel for making power but you need to make sure you are getting a good consistent blend. I don't have access to any decent E85 stations even though I live 3 miles from an ethanol plant. The one I mentioned in Indianapolis is over 100 miles away, so not exactly local.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

As mentioned above your looking at 15-20 whp give or take, really not worth it on NA cars IMO, boosted cars see MASSIVE gains, your better off getting a race gas tune.
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Another thing is even on 10-15% ethanol, you can't leave a motor laid up for a long time with that in it. Look up how frustrated the boating industry is with the increased ethanol in fuel. 85% ethanol will chew through the fuel system QT if left to sit.

Frankly, you'd be asking for more trouble than you've already found, for very little gain.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Show me proof of that! I've changed my oil routinely every 4000k on my lightning that uses E85 only, and the oil comes out looking brand new! Sure, I get 12mpg on the highway but I'm also making almost 600rwhp. So I spend $2/gallon or less for what is technically race gas that gives me zero detonation and a noticeable 20+HP at the wheels. And that's just from switching over. Ozzy, these coyote motors are high compression. High compression motors are way more susceptive to detonation than low compression and they also make a good use of engine timing and cam timing. This is why we can go from non-tuned to tuned and get a noticeable HP increase. The more you wind up the motor the greater chance you have of starving it for fuel. When that happens, or when you get a ****ty batch of 93 octane you will get detonation and it will hurt your engine. Now, the average BAMA 93 octane tune is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about kill/race tunes that are aggressive and make the most out of whatever fuel you are running. At a NA level, it's imperative that you use good fuel when maximizing a set-up. Equally as much as if you were FI. So don't go off of people who don't use e85, because they are probably giving some spill they read off the Internet. I use e85...have used e85...will use e85. Atleast until race gas is just as cheap lol. Having said all of that, get a 93 octane tune for daily duty and a e85 tune for the track.. And thank me later. Is it worth it? How much does a new engine cost? All you need is injectors an I would get injector dynamics. Here I go writing books again... Lol
We work on government vehicles who 90% of them run e85 the other 10% run gas or desiel.. The e85s where conning in for there 100k tune ups at 30k the gas motors look so much cleaner when we open them up and the e85 run in to problems so much more..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyLiriano View Post
So which is better in a n/a car in hot weather like florida? Been thinking about switching to e85 after a friend of mine dynoed at bbr 450 hp 451 torque on longtubes, offroad x pipe, jlt intake and 47lb injectors manual tranny.
Until I started frequenting this forum several months back I had never even heard of E85 but was always wondering what exactly Flex-fuel cars were all about. I have never seen it here in north Texas. After reading this thread my curiosity was piqued and I did a little research on ethanol. I have a 93 tune on both my V6 and 5.0 and only burn 93 octane Exxon or Shell gas. I paid $3.46/gal for it this morning. What do those of you who run E85 pay for it?
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Keep in mind if you use E85, even if it is cheaper, you're going to use at least 1/3 more fuel because of the lower energy of alcohol. Calculate that into it + the cost of conversion and the potential reliability issues long-term.

...and quit yer cryin'. 93 octane where I am is near 6 bucks a US gallon.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Keep in mind if you use E85, even if it is cheaper, you're going to use at least 1/3 more fuel because of the lower energy of alcohol. Calculate that into it + the cost of conversion and the potential reliability issues long-term. ...and quit yer cryin'. 93 octane where I am is near 6 bucks a US gallon.
6 a gallon for 93?$)$ HOLY %^+%! I thought I had it bad in S FL with 3.80ish lol but damn.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
6 a gallon for 93?$)$ HOLY %^+%! I thought I had it bad in S FL with 3.80ish lol but damn.
If.. IF.. I can find 93 it's like 420-430 a gal in nebraska
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I live on campus and haven't driven my car in 2 weeks...
Well if you haven't driven it in two weeks, you don't need a car. Sell it and donate the money to help save the corn.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Well if you haven't driven it in two weeks, you don't need a car. Sell it and donate the money to help save the corn.
I'm good lol, i'd like to keep my car. I just think of it as putting less miles on it.

HID end all thread
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I paid $2.03 a gallon for e85 today. 20 gallons for a little over $40. I get my e85 from shell exclusively and that is because it's been proven to maintain high fuel quality with the e85 I have gotten. My lightning gets driven just about every Friday but sits all week and even as much as a couple weeks when it rains but I have never had any issues with starting,pinging, stuttering, or water in fuel. Then again, I live in south Texas, and it's hot... Even in late December it's hot here. Bearing in mind I have a somewhat complete fuel system re-vamp, I'd say it does pretty good. My 20 gallon tank will get me about 215-250 miles depending on how I drive the truck. On weekends at the track I can use a half tank in a few passes lol.

This is from last weekend spinning the tires through 3rd gear -_-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3583427082.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	131441  
Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, corn sells for $4 at the local elevator. Haul it up the road to an ethanol plant and they pay $7 a bushel and there not docking for moisture.
I believe we have to support the American farmer's, but come on. I personally know at least 50 farmer's and everyone of them is millionaires.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #26

Region: Missouri
I avoid putting ethanol in my car. I even have an app that tells me where to get ethanol free gas when I'm on the road. This is why: http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...-damage-engine
Reidmi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #27

I avoid using ethanol as much as I can. I even have an app for that. This explains why:http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...-damage-engine
Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #28

Sorry for repeat. I thought first one didn't post. I'm new

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT