When Switching between different brand tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
When Switching between different brand tunes

Lets say on your sct x3 you have tunes from bama and someone else, if your currently on one, can you simply flash to the other one or should you return to stock before switching brand tunes?
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I do not have an answer for your specific question, however it makes sense to me to set it back to stock and then load the different tune.

This way you will know that all of the settings are configured the way the different tune wants. Bama had me return my car to stock before I loaded an updated tune for a cai I added. It did not take long to return the car to stock and then flash it again.
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Always flash back to stock first. I think if you swap among the two and it effs up you can't get back to stock and then you're SOL.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know you can switch tunes to a different tune without flashing back to stock when they are the same brand, so I don't see why you couldn't switch tunes developed by different tuners without returning to stock. The return to stock is still going to have the same settings when it is flashed. Tunes don't just adjust settings from the current settings.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Deerslayer is correct about switching tunes and how it doesn't make a difference who calibrated each tune. However, we always suggest that you switch back to the stock tune in case an issue does occur. Then you have the stock file uploaded on the PCM and it can easily be updated or reflashed.

Setting the car back to stock is just a safety precaution that we recommend. It's not mandatory for the tuner to switch between tunes.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I know you can switch tunes to a different tune without flashing back to stock when they are the same brand, so I don't see why you couldn't switch tunes developed by different tuners without returning to stock. The return to stock is still going to have the same settings when it is flashed. Tunes don't just adjust settings from the current settings.
Not as far as I've experience but haven't tried with the newest SCT firmware but I tried twice before without returning to stock and it always locked me out. So yeah... Waste 10 minutes returning to stock or risk getting locked out which... Is NOT good.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Not as far as I've experience but haven't tried with the newest SCT firmware but I tried twice before without returning to stock and it always locked me out. So yeah... Waste 10 minutes returning to stock or risk getting locked out which... Is NOT good.
+1. Been there done that. BAMA got me out of it.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I recently switched from Brenspeed to Brookspeed for my tunes on my 13 5.0, and I didn't do anything but put the new file on my X3 and then flash it to my vehicle.

Everything is working fine.
helloWorld is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT