Boss Intake Manifold - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Boss Intake Manifold

Hey everyone. I hope I can get some answers here. I have already done just about everything to my stang except a supercharger since it would cost a pretty penny. Everything I have is in my sig. Would you recommend getting a Boss intake manifold with my setup? I have read way too many mixed reviews and can't find any good supporting evidence...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Someone is probably going to say use search as they always do. But depends. You will loose tourque. I got mine specifically just for the "look" and to be able to spin to 8000. The stock mani falls at around 6500.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I say if you want it get it. You will gain a little hp and loose tq
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Someone is probably going to say use search as they always do. But depends. You will loose tourque. I got mine specifically just for the "look" and to be able to spin to 8000. The stock mani falls at around 6500.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Thank you for your response. Did you have to replace your internals to be able to spin to 8000? I would love to be able to do that, but replacing internals looks pretty pricey too (when labor is factored in).
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post

Thank you for your response. Did you have to replace your internals to be able to spin to 8000? I would love to be able to do that, but replacing internals looks pretty pricey too (when labor is factored in).
Yes I have a built motor. On stock internalls I would not spin past 7600.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Just installed my Boss manifold a few days ago, that very slight TQ loss gave the car more balance if anything... I have less wheel spin and above 5k this thing is fierce, but I've only done less than 50 miles with the setup, I'd have to get a good feel for it at the track... Its not for everybody tho, if its your DD and your mostly in traffic and your rpms don't ever go over 4k then it may be a waste of $$
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Just installed my Boss manifold a few days ago, that very slight TQ loss gave the car more balance if anything... I have less wheel spin and above 5k this thing is fierce, but I've only done less than 50 miles with the setup, I'd have to get a good feel for it at the track... Its not for everybody tho, if its your DD and your mostly in traffic and your rpms don't ever go over 4k then it may be a waste of $$
Thats why you get it for the look if you want. Bc honestly if your car never gets past 4k then everything you do to it would be a waste of money performance wise.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you. That is kind of what I was expecting. I don't mind shelling out the money, but I am looking for what I can expect. A smoother curve would be nice, and less wheel spin too. I can spin with 1 and 2, so maybe this will help balance it out, as you said.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Thats why you get it for the look if you want. Bc honestly if your car never gets past 4k then everything you do to it would be a waste of money performance wise.
It is my daily driver, but I do drive spirited on the weekends and appreciate any on-ramp to the highway.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you. That is kind of what I was expecting. I don't mind shelling out the money, but I am looking for what I can expect. A smoother curve would be nice, and less wheel spin too. I can spin with 1 and 2, so maybe this will help balance it out, as you said.
Do u have 3.73s? If u have anything less than that u may feel more TQ loss...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you don't mid me asking...what internals did you go with and how much would it cost? I would love to swap to forged internals to allow me some room to play.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There is also alot of people going back to the stock mani also. Bc there has been nobody to prove that they got faster at the track with "just" the addition of the boss mani.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do u have 3.73s? If u have anything less than that u may feel more TQ loss...
Currently I have 3.31. I was thinking the long tubes would offset some of the tq loss. I would like to get 3.73, but I read a lot of mixed reviews about them too. Especially if I go with a SC in the future.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you don't mid me asking...what internals did you go with and how much would it cost? I would love to swap to forged internals to allow me some room to play.
Wiseco pistons. Manley rods. Around 4k
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Currently I have 3.31. I was thinking the long tubes would offset some of the tq loss. I would like to get 3.73, but I read a lot of mixed reviews about them too. Especially if I go with a SC in the future.
With 3.31s u may be digging yourself out of a hole a little longer with Boss, I'm not sure how well it will do with a SC unless u do them at the same time... As far as forged internals, I think u can spin the motor up to 7600 w/o issues with stock internals... I'm only going on 1st experience, I haven't had enough seat time with new setup yet...
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wiseco pistons. Manley rods. Around 4k
I looked at those before. Did you see many improvements after the swap? I was wondering if that may get rid of the slight engine rattle everyone complains about...

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
With 3.31s u may be digging yourself out of a hole a little longer with Boss, I'm not sure how well it will do with a SC unless u do them at the same time... As far as forged internals, I think u can spin the motor up to 7600 w/o issues with stock internals... I'm only going on 1st experience, I haven't had enough seat time with new setup yet...
I may go ahead and go with 3.73 as well. Then I can actually use 6th gear on the road instead of the engine feeling bogged down. I wonder if anyone has gone with 3.55 and the boss mani?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I looked at those before. Did you see many improvements after the swap? I was wondering if that may get rid of the slight engine rattle everyone complains about...
Nothing as far as actual driving. Kept compression ratio same as stock. You wont notice anything by going forged. Its just to withstand the power/ abuse

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

I still have 3.31's with my boss. I kept mine bc I am spraying so much nitrous I like to be able to hold each gear longer.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing as far as actual driving. Kept compression ratio same as stock. You wont notice anything by going forged. Its just to withstand the power/ abuse
Ok. Makes sense. I'll have to look more into it. I wouldn't mind some more piece of mind.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I looked at those before. Did you see many improvements after the swap? I was wondering if that may get rid of the slight engine rattle everyone complains about... ---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ---------- I may go ahead and go with 3.73 as well. Then I can actually use 6th gear on the road instead of the engine feeling bogged down. I wonder if anyone has gone with 3.55 and the boss mani?
I'm sure that would be a perfect setup if your going to SC soon
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. Makes sense. I'll have to look more into it. I wouldn't mind some more piece of mind.
The weak point in the stock motor is the pistons. They have really thin ring glands. And they bust. This is what happened on mine. Piston 2 and 4.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I've had my boss manifold for almost 2 years. I've got the rev limiter set at 7,800 on stock internals and 3.73's. I've never taken it to the track. I more less bought it for the looks and as op says, spirited weekend driving. I haven't had any issues yet. As far as gains, I couldn't tell ya. My butt dyno is not that sensitive.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Like others say its mostly for looks... But being able to spin your motor above 6800 is a huge plus (didn't put on the foam insulators for looks yet since I'm still testing everything out)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-531383238.png
Views:	163
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	131628  
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Like others say its mostly for looks... But being able to spin your motor above 6800 is a huge plus (didn't put on the foam insulators for looks yet since I'm still testing everything out)
just because your car can make power at the higher Rpms doesn't mean you should :p the boss has different heads and forged internals for a reason. Changing the intake manifold isn't enough to say you can turn 8500 Rpms safely
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
just because your car can make power at the higher Rpms doesn't mean you should :p the boss has different heads and forged internals for a reason. Changing the intake manifold isn't enough to say you can turn 8500 Rpms safely
True!! I am aware, I use Bama and the rev limiter is set to 7600... I will never take it there, I would shift 7000-7200 which I heard is the sweet spot...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True!! I am aware, I use Bama and the rev limiter is set to 7600... I will never take it there, I would shift 7000-7200 which I heard is the sweet spot...
No the sweet spot for the boss is 7500
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ok here's my 2 cents. Gtstyle2 and I out the Boss IM on at about the same time. We both like it for what it does. He's got 3.73 and I got 3.31.

I feel more power/torque loss than he does in the low end. On the highway I could half throttle before and gain some momentum fairly quickly. But now its not as peppy to gain speed. Stock IM feels much stouter for regular driving on 3.31 gears than the 10 or so torque you supposedly lose on the low end.

I'm putting in 3.73 and adjustable UCA next paycheck. I would have done it this paycheck but some bimbo brunette rear ended me this past week so I'm out $500 to get my bumper repaired while my ins comp files against her ins to reimburse my deductible.

But bottom line...

1.) if you don't intend to swap to 3.73 this may not be the best setup for you. I'm happy with it or with the stocker.

2.) if your going FI then you may want to stay with 3.31 or go 3.73 with the tremec which is another $4-5K. You may want to get it because of the higher flow capacity.

3.) get it if you want to show car it. But if you don't enter it to shows then don't bother because how many times do you think you're gonna pop the hood for people? I've popped the hood ONE time since I've had my car to show the engine which other than CAI and boss im looks/is completely stock.

But having said that... Man 2nd gear pulls me well past 70mph and this baby does pull better on the high end. But for DD stick with stock IM

Of course you won't listen as I didn't listen and you'll get it. Then you'll have a part that will likely get you a speeding ticket in order to extract the most out of it.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Ok here's my 2 cents. Gtstyle2 and I out the Boss IM on at about the same time. We both like it for what it does. He's got 3.73 and I got 3.31.

I feel more power/torque loss than he does in the low end. On the highway I could half throttle before and gain some momentum fairly quickly. But now its not as peppy to gain speed. Stock IM feels much stouter for regular driving on 3.31 gears than the 10 or so torque you supposedly lose on the low end.

I'm putting in 3.73 and adjustable UCA next paycheck. I would have done it this paycheck but some bimbo brunette rear ended me this past week so I'm out $500 to get my bumper repaired while my ins comp files against her ins to reimburse my deductible.

But bottom line...

1.) if you don't intend to swap to 3.73 this may not be the best setup for you. I'm happy with it or with the stocker.

2.) if your going FI then you may want to stay with 3.31 or go 3.73 with the tremec which is another $4-5K. You may want to get it because of the higher flow capacity.

3.) get it if you want to show car it. But if you don't enter it to shows then don't bother because how many times do you think you're gonna pop the hood for people? I've popped the hood ONE time since I've had my car to show the engine which other than CAI and boss im looks/is completely stock.

But having said that... Man 2nd gear pulls me well past 70mph and this baby does pull better on the high end. But for DD stick with stock IM

Of course you won't listen as I didn't listen and you'll get it. Then you'll have a part that will likely get you a speeding ticket in order to extract the most out of it.
Oh yeah... One word ESCORT.

Well two words generically: RADAR DETECTOR

Get it if ya ain't got it
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

But bottom line...

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Oh yeah... One word ESCORT.

Well two words generically: RADAR DETECTOR

Get it if ya ain't got it

Thank you for all the input! You pretty much read my mind. I probably will get it, but will hope not to get a speeding ticket. lol. I think I may try the 3.55s when I put the intake on. I have heard that 3.73s are just too much for a supercharger.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thank you for all the input! You pretty much read my mind. I probably will get it, but will hope not to get a speeding ticket. lol. I think I may try the 3.55s when I put the intake on. I have heard that 3.73s are just too much for a supercharger.
Yeah 3.73 is it enough gears for an SC but if you get the Tremec its got shorter gears or so I heard. Tremec plus 3.31 is probably too tall but mated to 3.73 maybe good.

Benefit is you get a beefy transmission (I refuse to call it a tranny lol) but costs a lot of money.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Correction: 3.73 is not enough gears

Tremec I heard has taller gears not shorter

Sorry stoopid iPhone keypad sux
Old 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just took it out for a run (been working too much this week to button everything up and test run) even with 3.73s it's not a kick in the pants feeling, I'm saying as far as adding a SC is concerned... But 3.55 with Boss IM would be a perfect combo, I may go with the Vortech setup in a very distant future when I have this bad boy paid off!! But right now this setup feels a lot more balanced
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2502103606.png
Views:	239
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	131654   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4211345363.png
Views:	155
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	131655  

Name:	image-709524983.png
Views:	126
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	131656  
Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just took it out for a run (been working too much this week to button everything up and test run) even with 3.73s it's not a kick in the pants feeling, I'm saying as far as adding a SC is concerned... But 3.55 with Boss IM would be a perfect combo, I may go with the Vortech setup in a very distant future when I have this bad boy paid off!! But right now this setup feels a lot more balanced
Get paxton over vortech. And if you run a centri I would put a 75 shot with it bc tourque sucks with the centri
Old 10-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get paxton over vortech. And if you run a centri I would put a 75 shot with it bc tourque sucks with the centri
Even with 3.73s??
Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Even with 3.73s??
Yes. The centri makes good hp just lacks in tq pretty bad. Thats where a 75 shot will take carw of you
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I've got 555lbs, wouldn't really say that sucks
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

*care
Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. The centri makes good hp just lacks in tq pretty bad. Thats where a 75 shot will take carw of you
Ok, but I'm trying not to have to go the route of changing internals to squeeze every bit of hp... I just kinda want the best of both worlds of street/strip and being able to handle like its on rails... Basically enough to dig myself out of a hold

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Hole*
Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you think I should go with 3.55s and the Boss IM?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So you think I should go with 3.55s and the Boss IM?
I think he's saying 3.55 + Boss IM + SC because 3.73 would be too short and 3.55 is a good compromise until you do the SC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT