Before i drop the money on a MGW - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Before i drop the money on a MGW

Ive been getting by lately with just a barton shift bracket, since I can turn 7500 RPMS now second gear binds and grinds, 3rd gear lockout is back, will the MGW help me? Im also going to give the white line insert a shot and the new XL 18 additive
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
From experience no it will not. The MT-82 doesn't like to engage over 7k rpm. Even though the redline is 7500 on a boss you can't shift that high. It will lock you out everytime.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
From experience no it will not. The MT-82 doesn't like to engage over 7k rpm. Even though the redline is 7500 on a boss you can't shift that high. It will lock you out everytime.
+1
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The MGW is an amazing shifter, but the problems you are experiencing are transmission problems. The MT82 is known for that (Chinese piece of junk).

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I just posted this in a different thread...;Its a combination of alot of things, ive been fighting it for the last 6 months, getting locked out of gears is a pita...! but I finally have figured it out, most of it anyways.... I have the Mgw shifter and that helps alot, but believe it or not the problem lies in the motor mounts and tranny mounts too, the engine and tranny flexs under high rpms and locks me out of gear all the time, the only way i noticed this was by putting in the BMR K member with poly mounts, now my shifts go into gear even under high rpms, I just installed the k member last weekend and I love shifting again,,,, I also checked my tranny mount and it was a pos, so I stiffened that up also...my car has never shifted this good even when it was brand new..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I just posted this in a different thread...;Its a combination of alot of things, ive been fighting it for the last 6 months, getting locked out of gears is a pita...! but I finally have figured it out, most of it anyways.... I have the Mgw shifter and that helps alot, but believe it or not the problem lies in the motor mounts and tranny mounts too, the engine and tranny flexs under high rpms and locks me out of gear all the time, the only way i noticed this was by putting in the BMR K member with poly mounts, now my shifts go into gear even under high rpms, I just installed the k member last weekend and I love shifting again,,,, I also checked my tranny mount and it was a pos, so I stiffened that up also...my car has never shifted this good even when it was brand new..
I've thought about doing this. I am thinking about an aftermarket trans brace. This post has pushed me towards possibly purchasing it
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
Please post links as to where u got them . Thanks.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The trans brace bushing from WL is on backorder, I'm supposed to get 50 of them in and from what they told me, I'm next on the list. You are right on the Motor mounts and trans bushing, too much flex coupled with a weak shift linkage will severely hinder your ability to shift under high load (acceleration), cornering and RPM. I've done a few K members with poly motor mounts and the difference is truly night and day. Added NVH, yes that goes really without saying but many did not buy a mustang to get the characteristics of a Cadillac.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The noise just makes it sound like a racecar, which it is basically, and your right the K member is night and day difference, and anyone who is on the fence shouldnt be, especially if you want to be able to shift, BMR should advertise that more in there k member that it will improve shifting dramatically..and I couldnt wait for the tranny mount thats on back order so I doctor'd my mount with window weld, which worked really well and is a ten minute job.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've thought about doing this. I am thinking about an aftermarket trans brace. This post has pushed me towards possibly purchasing it
the motor mounts I think are more the issue , but both are crap, I cant stress enough how much improvement in shifting that k member did...I was going to buy just motor mounts but they are over 200.00 bucks for those from steeda and the k member is only 440.00, yes I live 30 minutes from bmr so I get a cash discount... its a no brainer
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm one of those that was surprised how much of an improvement motor mounts were...this is in the V6. Yes, there is a good bit more NVH and the V6 flywheel decel vibe is now like mild rumble strips but for me they are a great mod.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I agree the way the car starts now is nice, im a racer and love how I can feel the car, not to mention its another 50lbs off the front end....oh the other 32 lbs was from the ac unit and all hoses and condensor,
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to add, OP I doubt anything will help grinding....shifter/mounts improve finding the proper gear NOT it engaging.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

^ exactly, all the common fixes are to help keep things in spec, which is what prevents lockouts, my issue is it grinds and binds into 2nd gear from 1st at anything near or above 7100, whats my issue? 3rd and so on will go in fine at 7500
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Here are some videos of whats happening first vid is 2-4th shifting at 7500, second vid shows grining into 2nd
Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1975OH View Post

Here are some videos of whats happening first vid is 2-4th shifting at 7500, second vid shows grining into 2nd
The MT-82 does not like to shift above 7k in any gear especially 1-2. At the strip I had to shift at 6-6.5k from 1-2
Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The MT-82 does not like to shift above 7k in any gear especially 1-2. At the strip I had to shift at 6-6.5k from 1-2
So my chinawear isn't broken?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So my chinawear isn't broken?
Lmao no
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm mine shifts like butter at 7400rpm 1-2. Don overall these shifts probably over 100 times ever since owning the car... Yeah 100 times should be a good guess.

Hmmmm.... If warranty is in tact.... But if your asking this question then probably not then.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Hmmm mine shifts like butter at 7400rpm 1-2. Don overall these shifts probably over 100 times ever since owning the car... Yeah 100 times should be a good guess.

Hmmmm.... If warranty is in tact.... But if your asking this question then probably not then.
Lol do you have the 5.0? Cuz the torque is really the issue. The MT-82 is on its max torque limit from the factory
Old 10-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just to chime in, got my 3.73s installed today and I am enable to engage 2nd at high rpms...SO FAR lol, any idea why? Less stress on the trans?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just to chime in, got my 3.73s installed today and I am enable to engage 2nd at high rpms...SO FAR lol, any idea why? Less stress on the trans?
Most likely. I have the 3.73s as well. I'm interested to know he great ratio of the guy that says he can shift at 7400 (DallasStang77)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

+1 I've road in my buddies 2012 5.0 and anything over 7000 rpm he has problems
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

+1 I've road in my buddies 2012 5.0 and anything over 7000 rpm he has problems
What gears does he have?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

What gears does he have?
I think 3.55s ill have to ask him again

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

I think 3.55s ill have to ask him again
He had some other trouble with his trans he took it to ford I don't know what the problem was tho
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT