MT82 Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
MT82 Questions

Couple of things Ive noticed so far. There have been a handful of times when Ive been locked out of third gear, Id have to put it back in 2nd or 4th and then to 3rd again. Also, when I first take off in the car, shifting feels a bit clunky...once it warms up it shifts fine. Is this normal? This is my first manual car. Its a 2014 gt, only 5k miles so far.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Seems like from what I hear, the stock shifters are pretty crappy. Could it just be that? Im trying to get any issues resolved before getting a blower put on.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
These transmissions hate the cold.. Let it warm up first by shifting between 1-2k rpms until it warms and u will be fine
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
These transmissions hate the cold.. Let it warm up first by shifting between 1-2k rpms until it warms and u will be fine
Well, I live in Louisiana so not sure about the cold. What about the third gear issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
+1 on shifter upgrade. Should be ur 1st mod. I bought the xl18 tranny additive and will put it in this weekend to avoid any future issues.y 14gt has 2k and no issues so far.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well the mt-82 is notoriously a little notchy from 1st to 2nd. Also 3rd gear lockout also happened to me (2013 v6) so I replaced the garbage factory shifter bracket and replaced the dual clutch tranny fluid with Royal Purple syncomax and the notchy shifting is still a little notchy, especially in the fall and winter when the temp drops, but is overall improved. As for the shifter bracket it is night and day, no more lock out into third. If its the same bracket in the 5.0s its a must replaced, or just change the shifter to a mgw.Hope this helps a little.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Well the mt-82 is notoriously a little notchy from 1st to 2nd. Also 3rd gear lockout also happened to me (2013 v6) so I replaced the garbage factory shifter bracket and replaced the dual clutch tranny fluid with Royal Purple syncomax and the notchy shifting is still a little notchy, especially in the fall and winter when the temp drops, but is overall improved. As for the shifter bracket it is night and day, no more lock out into third. If its the same bracket in the 5.0s its a must replacement! Hope this helps a little.
Get an MGW shifter.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Get an MGW shifter.
+1, MGW FTW. Lol
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 on shifter upgrade. Should be ur 1st mod. I bought the xl18 tranny additive and will put it in this weekend to avoid any future issues.y 14gt has 2k and no issues so far.
Well I was looking at the MGW, but I dont want any issues with warranty. Id rather not have to uninstall it if there is a transmission issue.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Well I was looking at the MGW, but I dont want any issues with warranty. Id rather not have to uninstall it if there is a transmission issue.
Take it to the dealer first. Once they rule out the tranny then you can install the MGW.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Take it to the dealer first. Once they rule out the tranny then you can install the MGW.
Planning on doing so in the next week, however the 3rd gear lockout only happened a handful of times and from my understanding you have to be able to reproduce the problem with their technician
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Planning on doing so in the next week, however the 3rd gear lockout only happened a handful of times and from my understanding you have to be able to reproduce the problem with their technician
Its the ****ty shifter bracket that will lock you out most of the time. Here's the link of the crap shifter but more importantly the absolute garbage bracket! Changing the bracket makes a huge difference and won't affect your warranty.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yup, that's what I do
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Its a combination of alot of things, ive been fighting it for the last 6 months, getting locked out of gears is a pita...! but I finally have figured it out, most of it anyways.... I have the Mgw shifter and that helps alot, but believe it or not the problem lies in the motor mounts and tranny mounts too, the engine and tranny flexs under high rpms and locks me out of gear all the time, the only way i noticed this was by putting in the BMR K member with poly mounts, now my shifts go into gear even under high rpms, I just installed the k member last weekend and I love shifting again,,,, I also checked my tranny mount and it was a pos, so I stiffened that up also...my car has never shifted this good even when it was brand new..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

1) you are about to put a blower on the car but you are worried about the shifter voiding your warranty :/ lol

2) I have a MGW on my MT-82 and I am having my tranny pulled next week and having the fifth gear synchro replaced under warranty. Also recently had the trans fluid replaced under TSB with the MGW installed.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I didn't want to go into the k-member thing, but was thinking... Upgrade to (performance or race) engine mounts and the Whiteline tranny mount insert. Reckon that will help diminish engine/tranny torque flexing? My axlebacks will drown out any NVH that may occur.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Its the ****ty shifter bracket that will lock you out most of the time. Here's the link of the crap shifter but more importantly the absolute garbage bracket! Changing the bracket makes a huge difference and won't affect your warranty.
Yup. +1. I had the same problem with mine. I really dont mind the stock shifter and didn't want to possibly void my warranty, so i decided just to go with a Barton 2-post bracket. Biggest bang for your buck $100 will get you. It made such a huge difference. Since installing, the 2-3 shift problem has occurred maybe twice in over 10k miles.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The fluid change will help the cold shifts and should be done at no charge at your dealership (tsb). After you change the fluid then swap the shifter and bracket, that will keep everything inline.
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post
The fluid change will help the cold shifts and should be done at no charge at your dealership (tsb). After you change the fluid then swap the shifter and bracket, that will keep everything inline.
The TSB fluid didn't do sh1t for mine lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
1) you are about to put a blower on the car but you are worried about the shifter voiding your warranty :/ lol

2) I have a MGW on my MT-82 and I am having my tranny pulled next week and having the fifth gear synchro replaced under warranty. Also recently had the trans fluid replaced under TSB with the MGW installed.
You can get a full powertrain warranty with the Roush blower

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post
I thought they changed the fluid already on the 13-14's?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You can get a full powertrain warranty with the Roush blower

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

I thought they changed the fluid already on the 13-14's?
+1, I brought my 13 in and the said it was already done for the 13 up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT