Lowering the drivers Seat - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Lowering the drivers Seat

I'm a tall fellow, and I have headroom but I find the steering wheel is a bit to close to me, and frankly I sit higher in the car than is necessary. I understand why the seats in our cars are so high, to provide visibility over the hood and dash, but being 6'7 that isn't a problem.

I've searched every forum I can and checked quite a lot of vendors, i'm not finding anything so far.

I was hoping to find a bracket that will bolt my factory recaro to the floor, lowering the seat.

If there is no product like this out there, I want to see what other people have done to gain headroom/knee room. Even with the decent headroom, with a helmet on i'm touching the headliner (standard roof)
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You should have adjustable seats :/ you should be able to lower it manually or auto with the power adjuster
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
You should have adjustable seats :/ you should be able to lower it manually or auto with the power adjuster
Yes... the seat is all the way down and back.

Was hoping to find people who have modified the seat base brackets to accommodate those of us with hulk-like proportions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Might consider the Bondra Clutch pedal extender. It will allow you to put the seat further back (if you can figure out a way), which will get the steering wheel out of your chest, & still maintain full pedal stroke. Just a thought.
graystone2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by graystone2013 View Post
Might consider the Bondra Clutch pedal extender. It will allow you to put the seat further back (if you can figure out a way), which will get the steering wheel out of your chest, & still maintain full pedal stroke. Just a thought.
Lol, the guy's 6'7"
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #6

I actually may try the seat rail extenders just to see if it allows me a better upright seating position, and to be honest with how far the throw of this clutch is, even I could see need for a clutch pedal extension if I was seated far enough back.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Used to see a 67 around town years ago that had the front seats removed . The guy somehow drove it from the back seat. I was a kid so I don't know exactly how he did it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Used to see a 67 around town years ago that had the front seats removed . The guy somehow drove it from the back seat. I was a kid so I don't know exactly how he did it.
Whoa that was probably 7'5" Shawn Bradley you saw...
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have had my seat out and it wouldnt b that big of a job to cut the rear brackets and take maybe like a 1/2 inchout and weld them back, granted you gotto have tools or pay someone, im tall too and I feel like im up high also
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post
I have had my seat out and it wouldnt b that big of a job to cut the rear brackets and take maybe like a 1/2 inchout and weld them back, granted you gotto have tools or pay someone, im tall too and I feel like im up high also
Thank you, I'm going to pull mine and take a look. Even 1/2 of drop at the back would go a long way.

Thankfully I do have the tools for the job, and a good welder who takes payment in the finest ales.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It's interesting to think why you'd even buy the car if you can't comfortably sit in it.
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post
It's interesting to think why you'd even buy the car if you can't comfortably sit in it.
I am comfy as can be, but there is a difference between comfy and feeling like your too high....my comfy was thrown out the window the day I bought my car.....poly bushings everywhere and stiff lowering springs , sway bars, I didnt buy my car for comfort..
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw64 View Post

I am comfy as can be, but there is a difference between comfy and feeling like your too high....my comfy was thrown out the window the day I bought my car.....poly bushings everywhere and stiff lowering springs , sway bars, I didnt buy my car for comfort..
So true but my Recaros are comfy
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #14

Yes, as said above I am talking about lowering it for preference and optimal racing seat position, this isn't an 'i don't fit' issue. I fit fine and am very comfortable day to day. In fact it is actually the only car I've owned that I can sit in for 6 hours+ with no back stiffness. That's actually why I'm so interested in lowering the stock seating height instead of just swapping to an aftermarket setup because aftermarket seats are (in my experience) just not this good at being comfortable and supportive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT