Question about cats and ghost tune - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I run a Bama tune. How is it different from a Lund tune?
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

I would just go with someone along the lines of lund, vmp, brenspeed. Vs bama. As bama is a caned tune. Lund vmp are better tunes more for your specific car. Call lund and ask his opinion on a bama tune
So what makes Lund , VMP or Brenspeed better than Bama, Steeda or MPT which I have all three and not a days trouble with any of them. I have been running bama tunes since I had just over 5,000 miles and now with 29k absolutely no issues. Certainly, if I were running nitrous I would be getting a custom dyno tune however for bolt on mods you can't beat the firmness in shifts, enhanced throttle response and increased rwhp and rwtq. A custom dyno tune will give you no better performance than of a email tune for cars with bolt on's. Besides performance, reliability is just the same with a bama, Steeda, VMP, MPT etc compared to a custom dyno tune. Just because you had an issue with bama doesn't mean there junk tunes and all email tunes are junk.

If they were that bad I doubt thousands of people would be getting email tunes.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

So what makes Lund VMP or Brenspeed better than Bama, Steeda or MPT which I have all three and not a days trouble with any of them. I have been running bama tunes since I had just over 5,000 miles and now with 29k absolutely no issues. Certainly, if I were running nitrous I would be getting a custom dyno tune however for bolt on mods you can't beat the firmness in shifts, enhanced throttle response and increased rwhp and rwtq. A custom dyno tune will give you no better performance than of a email tune for cars with bolt on's. Besides performance, reliability is just the same with a bama, Steeda, VMP, MPT etc. Just because you had an issue with bama doesn't mean there junk tunes and all email tunes are junk.

If they were that bad I doubt thousands of people would be getting email tunes.
Im not going to keep this on. If you want to keep reading about it go to svt and look at all the threads against bama

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich7072 View Post
I run a Bama tune. How is it different from a Lund tune?
Lund has diff things he can do vs bama. Parameters and such that he can fine tune compared to bama.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Thanks
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Im not going to keep this on. If you want to keep reading about it go to svt and look at all the threads against bama
No problem bro. Clearly your not a fan of bama and that's your prerogative as Bobby (cocaine) Brown would say. Your entitled to your opinion and certainly respect it. I have had bama tunes for years, never a days trouble and would certainly recommend them as well as MPT and Steeda. Long live the Queen and the mustang. Hail email tunes. Ba ha ha ha ha!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich7072 View Post
Thanks
With a quick data log the same can be easily accomplished and its no real secret. The dyno tune operator said its not rocket science tuning cars with bolt on mods. There is no secret weapon he has to making it any better than the email tunes. There is only so much safe power one can get from the engine no matter who tunes the car. As long as one goes with a reputable email tuning company the benefits will be the same as a custom dyno tune.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:

With a quick data log the same can be easily accomplished and its no real secret. The dyno tune operator said its not rocket science tuning cars with bolt on mods. There is no secret weapon he has to making it any better than the email tunes. There is only so much safe power one can get from the engine no matter who tunes the car. As long as one goes with a reputable email tuning company the benefits will be the same as a custom dyno tune.
+1

I had a Bama tune on my V6 for 24,000 miles not one issue and I ran it hard averaged around 20mpg hardly ever drove in the city. When I'm ready to tune my 5.0 I'll use the company that works with Mustangs exclusively. The day I go force induction or nitrous. I will go to Synapse the local tune shop where I live.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

+1

I had a Bama tune on my V6 for 24,000 miles not one issue and I ran it hard averaged around 20mpg hardly ever drove in the city. When I'm ready to tune my 5.0 I'll use the company that works with Mustangs exclusively. The day I go force induction or nitrous. I will go to Synapse the local tune shop where I live.
Amen bro. I also love my MPT tune along with my Steeda tune. All great , professional companies that give very similar power results and reliability. My MPT tune made the most rwhp and rwtq but Bama and Steeda were close on the heals of MPT. Lol.

Bama, Steeda and MPT are all top notch..
2011 V6,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-28-15-41-29-1.png
Views:	156
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	132656

297 rwhp and 276 rwtq.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
On the topic of the ghost cam tunes. Man it comes with downsides!! If you got a sweet exhaust it will sound old school sweet music on idle but there is places all over, thru-out the RPM range where it sounds like ****. Raspy and for sure not acceptable to me. The car was so loud when getting in it that I could be heard for miles. Cop magnet and just race car loud. You could probably quiet it down with some GT500 axle backs but then you lose the perfect loudiness to hear the cam tune when it idles. Has drivability issues also! No matter who does your tune, it's a issue. You can get it to where you can live with it but overall it's not worth it IMHO. Also keep in mind of what your state Inspection laws are and all that. I have heard that the "H" pipe is a little better option when it comes to running the ghost tune. I Was running a full Borla "S" type Catback with X. I pulled the cats and put in O/R- X and it was sweet for idle but pure **** for driving. I used it for maybe 2 months , but put my system back and sold the O/R X and haven't looked back. Went on to other mods. Had to try it, to get it out my blood.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
On the topic of the ghost cam tunes. Man it comes with downsides!! If you got a sweet exhaust it will sound old school sweet music on idle but there is places all over, thru-out the RPM range where it sounds like ****. Raspy and for sure not acceptable to me. The car was so loud when getting in it that I could be heard for miles. Cop magnet and just race car loud. You could probably quiet it down with some GT500 axle backs but then you lose the perfect loudiness to hear the cam tune when it idles. Has drivability issues also! No matter who does your tune, it's a issue. You can get it to where you can live with it but overall it's not worth it IMHO. Also keep in mind of what your state Inspection laws are and all that. I have heard that the "H" pipe is a little better option when it comes to running the ghost tune. I Was running a full Borla "S" type Catback with X. I pulled the cats and put in O/R- X and it was sweet for idle but pure **** for driving. I used it for maybe 2 months , but put my system back and sold the O/R X and haven't looked back. Went on to other mods. Had to try it, to get it out my blood.
Thank you for your wisdom. Am running s types too and was really curious about how it would be for daily driving. Now I am sure I am gonna pass on the ghost cams.
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Not sure I would want a GCT on my daily driver, but as I stated earlier, my concerns after running it on my car for 2 summers revolve around gas mileage, as my drive ability simply has not suffered. When done correctly the GCT will not affect the sound (or loudness) of your exhaust under load as the valve timing adjustment that makes the GCT lopey is only affected at idle.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
Hey everyone I got a quick question , I have a 2013 5.0 . Now I wanted to get the catless Xpipe and the bama ghost tune . I have someone that will just cut off the cats and pipe it all the way back deleting cats and mufflers . Would that work instead of getting the Xpipe ? I have the stock H right now . Would it still sound awesome ?
OP, Your question about would a ghost cam tune sound awesome with your setup , has no real answer. Its hard to define awesome when sound is really subjective. I personally am not a fan of the cam lope tune so I would tell you it will not sound awesome.

Cam lope tunes in my sole opinion are a cheezy way to try making a modern day muscle car sound like a muscle car from a period when cars had carburetors and large cams. The biggest issue for me about the cam lope tune is it doesn't make a fuel injected car sound like the old school cars and its not even close of a sound.

The cam lope tune in my opinion sounds like your car is sick and in need of repair. Its not even close to the sound of the 60's and 70's muscle cars. If you want a more 60's sounding muscle car in your modern day mustang put larger cams in, remove the fuel injection system and transfer it over to a carburetor system, if that could even be done.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
OP, Your question about would a ghost cam tune sound awesome with your setup , has no real answer. Its hard to define awesome when sound is really subjective. I personally am not a fan of the cam lope tune so I would tell you it will not sound awesome.

Cam lope tunes in my sole opinion are a cheezy way to try making a modern day muscle car sound like a muscle car from a period when cars had carburetors and large cams. The biggest issue for me about the cam lope tune is it doesn't make a fuel injected car sound like the old school cars and its not even close of a sound.

The cam lope tune in my opinion sounds like your car is sick and in need of repair. Its not even close to the sound of the 60's and 70's muscle cars. If you want a more 60's sounding muscle car in your modern day mustang put larger cams in, remove the fuel injection system and transfer it over to a carburetor system, if that could even be done.
One mans opinion.

Thank you
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellski View Post

One mans opinion.

Thank you
More than welcome and I don't want anyone to think I am trying to be disrespectful to the OP. Just offering my friendly opinion and to all the fans of cam lope, I say go for it if you like how it sounds. Just remember to remove your cats for this tune. Lol
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #50

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
Hey everyone I got a quick question , I have a 2013 5.0 . Now I wanted to get the catless Xpipe and the bama ghost tune . I have someone that will just cut off the cats and pipe it all the way back deleting cats and mufflers . Would that work instead of getting the Xpipe ? I have the stock H right now . Would it still sound awesome ?
I have a '13 GT running the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system and since it has an integrated crossover mid pipe, I opted to delete the cats. Because of how Ford bolts the cats right up against the manifolds, things like automatic exhaust cutouts do not fit. I found a test pipe kit I think at Jegs for the '13 GT and had a muffler shop do the install. So that the cat delete did not have to be permanent, I got one of the ball flange kits from Flowmaster to make the test pipes removable. Now, I use my car exclusively for the track in HPDE and intend to use it in time trial competition once I get enough seat time. I have Bama Tunes running the 93 Race tune. I did have some initial issues with jerky throttle response and hesitation while accelerating. Bama had me do a data log pull for them and it was fixed. Great support on their part. With the cats out, its loud and raspy and can be a bit irritating but I did not do it for the sound. The increased throttle response from reducing the restriction on the exhaust is dramatic and what I was looking for. Just be prepared for it to stink if you garage your car. On our cars, the cats are also mufflers so removing them will make it drastically louder. Hope that helps.
BAS433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No I really appreciate the help , I was just trying to by pass buying a 600 dollar part to remove the cats , and links on other cat deletes y'all have used
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT