Question about cats and ghost tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question about cats and ghost tune

Hey everyone I got a quick question , I have a 2013 5.0 . Now I wanted to get the catless Xpipe and the bama ghost tune . I have someone that will just cut off the cats and pipe it all the way back deleting cats and mufflers . Would that work instead of getting the Xpipe ? I have the stock H right now . Would it still sound awesome ?
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It might be raspy has hell but not sure? I know the more you remove the more it gets raspy
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It will sound good at iddle. But like complete **** when on the gas
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: New York
The ghosts tune is awesome but do not use it as a daily driving tune. I asked Bama about using it as a daily driving tune and they told me they do not recommend it. It's good for going to the track, car shows or the occasional weekend cruise.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
Hey everyone I got a quick question , I have a 2013 5.0 . Now I wanted to get the catless Xpipe and the bama ghost tune . I have someone that will just cut off the cats and pipe it all the way back deleting cats and mufflers . Would that work instead of getting the Xpipe ? I have the stock H right now . Would it still sound awesome ?
what's a ghost tune
Deandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandas View Post
what's a ghost tune
Makes it sound like you have cams

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
The ghosts tune is awesome but do not use it as a daily driving tune. I asked Bama about using it as a daily driving tune and they told me they do not recommend it. It's good for going to the track, car shows or the occasional weekend cruise.
Plenty of people run it on there daily.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandas View Post
what's a ghost tune
Makes your car a fake poser... Sorry no offense.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

Didnt want to say it. But yes
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Makes it sound like you have cams

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Plenty of people run it on there daily.
Then plenty of people ignore Bama's warning of, not recommending running a ghost tune daily.

I will listen to the guys who make the tune and i will not run it daily.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
yeah and it does sound cool but i tried it and the car really runs like crap, hard to drive it that way, stalls alot, just my personal opinion
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
It's not made for performance as everyone knows so it's the same as adding new mufflers. Don't think it's being a poser. But that's my opinion. Anyways,that tune gets old after awhile. It dumps to much fuel and makes the car buck. Driving with the ghost cams and switching back is like night and day as far as drivability.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Then plenty of people ignore Bama's warning of not recommending running a ghost tune daily.
Yes bc bama is not the tuning gods rhat alot of people think. Try contacting a real tunner. Like lund or Sean at a&d. They will tell you its perfectly fine for a DD
Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yes bc bama is not the tuning gods rhat alot of people think. Try contacting a real tunner. Like lund or Sean at a&d. They will tell you its perfectly fine for a DD
AED? Some people will debate on him being a "real tuner" also. There is a huge thread on SVT with people putting him on blast for not knowing his ****.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

AED? Some people will debate on him being a "real tuner" also. There is a huge thread on SVT with people putting him on blast for not knowing his ****.
I would take AED over bama any day. Personally im not a fan of email tunes at all. But, bama is at the bottom. With lund up top.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Yes I know of the threads about AED on there. My thoughts are still that email tunes are junk.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

Bama is perfect for the masses who daily drive or are still adding bolt ons. More aggressive.......Lund or JPC,IMO. Who tuned yours,Rap?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bama is perfect for the masses who daily drive or are still adding bolt ons. More aggressive.......Lund or JPC,IMO. Who tuned yours,Rap?
Lethal performance out in san atonio. They built my motor and tune my car.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Lethal performance out in san atonio. They built my motor and tune my car.
Don't they do Lund remote tuning? I know Traci @ Maximum Velocity does.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't they do Lund remote tuning? I know Traci @ Maximum Velocity does.
No just maximum velocity. They are a good shop also. There is 3 real good ones out here. Lethal performance. Maximum velocity. And south texas performance.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

I'm going to do the remote tuning with MVP one of these days,lol
Old 10-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm going to do the remote tuning with MVP one of these days,lol
They are a good shop
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have had a Jon Lund 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune on my 2011 GT for two summers now. No driveability issues at all- no bucking or stalling whatsoever. It does burn more gas, for sure, but my car is just a toy- driven on weekends, and not a DD. Fwiw, when I bought the GCT from Lund (through Lethal Performance), they included a 93 octane custom tune (with a smooth idle) for my car at no extra charge. This way, if I want to take a road trip I can put the smooth idle tune on the car and get better gas mileage with it. Call me a poser if you want, but the thing sounds sick, and always draws a crowd at shows.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Bellski , where do you get the Lund tune from ? A website or did you get it at shop? And how much ?
jaredGTneelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I got the Jon Lund 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune from Lethal Performance. It was $200.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

I would take AED over bama any day. Personally im not a fan of email tunes at all. But, bama is at the bottom. With lund up top.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Yes I know of the threads about AED on there. My thoughts are still that email tunes are junk.
Email tunes are certainly not junk and in fact provide similar/same power gains as a custom dyno tune for vehicles with bolt on mods. After having my car dyno with three different companies email tunes, Steeda, Bama and MPT I spoke with the dyno tune operator about a custom dyno tune. After seeing my dyno results the operator advised a custom dyno tune wouldn't give me any better power numbers than what I was already getting from my current email tunes based on me having bolt on mods. Sure, a custom dyno tune may of gotten me 2 to 3 more HP and torque gains he said but nothing worth the cost of such custom dyno tune. There is only so much safe HP and torque one can get out of a motor and the email tunes get that and a custom dyno tune would get no better numbers.

Now when having a supercharger or turbo charger installed , that's totally different but email tunes are certainly not junk nor is Bama tunes. I have a dyno sheet to back my opinion and statement up about bama not being junk.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredGTneelley View Post
Any type of catless exhaust will work for the ghost cam tune. It doesn't require a specific mid-pipe or headers. Bama only requires a manual trans and no catalytic converters. Needless to say, you'll be perfectly fine with the exhaust system you originally listed.

Lots of our customer's love the Bama Cam tune and others don't feel it's for them. It's really about preference really. The good new is, we don't charge extra for the Bama Cam tune with our Free Tunes for Life program. If you're a member, you can give the Bama Cam tune a shot for free and see if you like it. If not- simple switch back to our Street or Race tune!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Email tunes are certainly not junk and in fact provide similar/same power gains as a custom dyno tune for vehicles with bolt on mods. After having my car dyno with three different companies email tunes, Steeda, Bama and MPT I spoke with the dyno tune operator about a custom dyno tune. After seeing my dyno results the operator advised a custom dyno tune wouldn't give me any better power numbers than what I was already getting from my current email tunes based on me having bolt on mods. Sure, a custom dyno tune may of gotten me 2 to 3 more HP and torque gains he said but nothing worth the cost of such custom dyno tune. There is only so much safe HP and torque one can get out of a motor and the email tunes get that and a custom dyno tune would get no better numbers.

Now when having a supercharger or turbo charger installed , that's totally different but email tunes are certainly not junk nor is Bama tunes. I have a dyno sheet to back my opinion and statement up about bama not being junk.
Im not talking about power. Everyone gets caught up in dyno #'s its unreal. Email tunes are junk IMO.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Im not talking about power. Everyone gets caught up in dyno #'s its unreal. Email tunes are junk IMO.
Just curious, what's junk about email tunes? So forget dyno numbers. A custom dyno tune is to provide the availability of the car to gain its peak performance within safe levels. Is it not?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Email tunes are fine for somebody to drive on the street with every day that has just bolt-ons. If you start boosting your right email tunes are not worth it but the average person is not boosting
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Email tunes are junk IMO.
Not if you know how to do your own data logging which I'm pretty sure you don't.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Email tunes are fine for somebody to drive on the street with every day that has just bolt-ons. If you start boosting your right email tunes are not worth it but the average person is not boosting
That was my point exactly.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Not if you know how to do your own data logging which I'm pretty sure you don't.
I have way to much money in my car to trust a email tune let alone a data log.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Some people like them others dont. My opinion is if you cheap out on tunes it will bite you in the ***.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have way to much money in my car to trust a email tune let alone a data log. ---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ---------- Some people like them others dont. My opinion is if you cheap out on tunes it will bite you in the ***.
We all agree you do since your running nitrous most of us have just bolt ons and there is nothing wrong with an email tune for bolt ons it's still better than a stock tune on a chip
Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
We all agree you do since your running nitrous most of us have just bolt ons and there is nothing wrong with an email tune for bolt ons it's still better than a stock tune on a chip
I would just go with someone along the lines of lund, vmp, brenspeed. Vs bama. As bama is a caned tune. Lund vmp are better tunes more for your specific car. Call lund and ask his opinion on a bama tune
Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would just go with someone along the lines of lund, vmp, brenspeed. Vs bama. As bama is a caned tune. Lund vmp are better tunes more for your specific car. Call lund and ask his opinion on a bama tune
Of corse he is going to bama is one of his biggest competitors why would he say this is why they are better than me
Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

My car was tuned with a email tune the day it drove off the lot. Not anymore I went to custom dyno tune when my valves got burnt up at 1,000 miles on the car. I have ran bama, brenspeed, lund back in those first 1,000 miles. Lund is the best. Brenspeed is good. And well I dont like bama at all.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Now lund is not as quick of a turn around on tunes as bama. If you get his personal email from him he will help you out in every way he can. If you go through his shops it will take longer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT