Bama sf3/x3 worth it? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

No running lean is what causes your valves to burn up. No when I burnt up my valves it had nothing to do with the pistons. I didnt actually blow my motor up till 11,000 miles. More than likely it was my lund tune that burnt them up. I did not like my bama tunes bc they sent me about 6 revisions and they all ran like crap.
Dude, you blew your whole motor up. How? Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. Was that from the car running to lean. I was told by the dyno tune operator , many 5.0's were running to lean in the beginning because the air fuel ratio was set to high. The air fuel ratio should be 12 parts to 1. I was told it was a learning curve because the older Gt's could handle a higher air fuel ratio but not the newer motors. They should be set for 12 parts to 1 to be perfect. Not lean..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Im not on anyones. Is my car tuned my lund no. Bama no. Brenspeed no.
You seem to be telling any body that ask about bama to not use them to go with Lund like you are so it just looks like it I would rather somebody to tell me they messed up and try to fix it then me spend $200 with someone and then blow my motor cause they set the tune that messed up
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Dude, you blew your whole motor up. How? Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. Was that from the car running to lean. I was told by the dyno tune operator , many 5.0's were running to lean in the beginning because the air fuel ratio was set to high. The air fuel ratio should be 12 parts to 1. I was told it was a learning curve because the older Gt's could handle a higher air fuel ratio but not the newer motors. They should be set for 12 parts to 1 to be perfect. Not lean..
Hmmm... BAMA set mine to about 12.8-12.9 with a blip to 13 under WOT. but I hear that mid or high 13 is ok though and that optimal AF combustion is 15.

All this tells me is there are things that I'll monkey with on my car myself and things that I bring to professional monkeys to monkey with.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

Hmmm... BAMA set mine to about 12.8-12.9 with a blip to 13 under WOT. but I hear that mid or high 13 is ok though and that optimal AF combustion is 15.

All this tells me is there are things that I'll monkey with on my car myself and things that I bring to professional monkeys to monkey with.
12.8-12.9 air fuel ratio. Very interesting. My local performance shop dyno tune operator said he would set the air fuel ratio on the 11 plus 5.0's and 3.7's to only 12 parts to 1. Any higher he felt the car would run too lean and not be good for the car in long term. Yes the car would create more power running lean but felt it was not within safe levels. The command should be set for 12 parts to 1 for the air fuel ratio according to the dyno tune operator. The dyno tune operator said the models prior to 11 could handle a higher air fuel ratio but not the 11 plus models. I called bama and they told me they had my air fuel ratio commanded for 12.2 parts to 1. AM just made me a new tune after i requested so and they set the air fuel ratio for 12 parts to 1.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Dude, you blew your whole motor up. How? Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. Was that from the car running to lean. I was told by the dyno tune operator , many 5.0's were running to lean in the beginning because the air fuel ratio was set to high. The air fuel ratio should be 12 parts to 1. I was told it was a learning curve because the older Gt's could handle a higher air fuel ratio but not the newer motors. They should be set for 12 parts to 1 to be perfect. Not lean..
Yes thats why I am fully forged now. No it was bc of nitrous abuse lol. Alot of it.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Yes thats why I am fully forged now. No it was bc of nitrous abuse lol. Alot of it.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have heard nitrous can be killer on an engine.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
You seem to be telling any body that ask about bama to not use them to go with Lund like you are so it just looks like it I would rather somebody to tell me they messed up and try to fix it then me spend $200 with someone and then blow my motor cause they set the tune that messed up
Lunds tune had my car running alot better/faster. Who knows if it really was lunds who burnt it up idk. His was the most aggressive. But like I said I had 6 revisions of my bama tune they all ran like ****.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I have heard nitrous can be killer on an engine.
It was expected. It wasnt a matter of "if" it was "when" a small shot and you wont have to worry.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lunds tune had my car running alot better/faster. Who knows if it really was lunds who burnt it up idk. His was the most aggressive. But like I said I had 6 revisions of my bama tune they all ran like ****.
I'm sorry you had a bad bama tune mine has run great in my car never had a problem with it

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lunds tune had my car running alot better/faster. Who knows if it really was lunds who burnt it up idk. His was the most aggressive. But like I said I had 6 revisions of my bama tune they all ran like ****. ---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ---------- It was expected. It wasnt a matter of "if" it was "when" a small shot and you wont have to worry.
I was wanting to run a 75 shot on my mach then my water pump went out so building it for a pro charger now
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
I'm sorry you had a bad bama tune mine has run great in my car never had a problem with it
Some have had good luck with them. I however did not.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

You can always add the 75 shot to the procharger. To make up for the tq
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Some have had good luck with them. I however did not.
I believe that is the same with all tunes I have seen people put up better numbers with am email tune over a dyno tune
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Lunds tune had my car running alot better/faster. Who knows if it really was lunds who burnt it up idk. His was the most aggressive. But like I said I had 6 revisions of my bama tune they all ran like ****.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------



It was expected. It wasnt a matter of "if" it was "when" a small shot and you wont have to worry.
If you don't mind me asking, how big of shots were you juicing your engine up with. I have been told a 75 shot of nitrous is fine and cause no damage to ones factory engine. No need to build the engine up
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Some have had good luck with them. I however did not. ---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ---------- You can always add the 75 shot to the procharger. To make up for the tq
The mach already has very good tq with a supercharger/pro charger people are hitting low 11s if I get there I will be happy

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how big of shots were you juicing your engine up with. I have been told a 75 shot of nitrous is fine and cause no damage to ones factory engine. No need to build the engine up
It all depends on your compression ratio on your car since they seem to change with every model/motor
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

If you don't mind me asking, how big of shots were you juicing your engine up with. I have been told a 75 shot of nitrous is fine and cause no damage to ones factory engine. No need to build the engine up
It went boom on a 200 shot. I ran about 10 bottles in it with the 150 prior to that. She is now on a 300 shot
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It went boom on a 200 shot. I ran about 10 bottles in it with the 150 prior to that. She is now on a 300 shot
Holy f*ck no wonder you had a problem at that shot it was only matter of time
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Holy f*ck no wonder you had a problem at that shot it was only matter of time
Yes it was. Maybe I wanted to make her go boom lol. Wife told me the only way I could buy my manley rods/ wiseco pistons if the motor went it was very expected to happen.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

12.8-12.9 air fuel ratio. Very interesting. My local performance shop dyno tune operator said he would set the air fuel ratio on the 11 plus 5.0's and 3.7's to only 12 parts to 1. Any higher he felt the car would run too lean and not be good for the car in long term. Yes the car would create more power running lean but felt it was not within safe levels. The command should be set for 12 parts to 1 for the air fuel ratio according to the dyno tune operator. The dyno tune operator said the models prior to 11 could handle a higher air fuel ratio but not the 11 plus models. I called bama and they told me they had my air fuel ratio commanded for 12.2 parts to 1. AM just made me a new tune after i requested so and they set the air fuel ratio for 12 parts to 1.
I'm gonna have to recheck the AF now after I get my car back from the shop after it got butt banged on the highway during. Rush hour traffic. It might be 11.8-11.9. All these numbers are making me see blurs.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

It went boom on a 200 shot. I ran about 10 bottles in it with the 150 prior to that. She is now on a 300 shot
200 shot on factory engine. Darn bro. Lol. I think you need forged internals for that and a 300 shot. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
[QUOTE="Rapinator126;1828040"] Yes it was. Maybe I wanted to make her go boom lol. Wife told me the only way I could buy my manley rods/ wiseco pistons if the motor went it was very expected to happen.[/QUOTE
Well that's one way to to do it lol what numbers are you running on your 5.0
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
12.0 at full throttle is perfect on a 5.0. 13.ish to 14 at cruising. 11.8 and below is a tad rich

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

200 shot on factory engine. Darn bro. Lol. I think you need forged internals for that and a 300 shot. Lol
Yes 150 is the safe limit on stock bottom end for a coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

I'm gonna have to recheck the AF now after I get my car back from the shop after it got butt banged on the highway during. Rush hour traffic. It might be 11.8-11.9. All these numbers are making me see blurs.
All you have to do is call bama or your tuning company. Just ask them what command did they set your air fuel ratio at wot. It should be set for 12 to 1. If its not all they have to do is change the command and send you out the new tune.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
She made 550 on a 150
A little over 600 when she went boom
Slightly over 7 with the 300 shot.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
She made 550 on a 150 A little over 600 when she went boom Slightly over 7 with the 300 shot.
That's not bad what your running in the 1/4
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
12.0 at full throttle is perfect on a 5.0. 13.ish to 14 at cruising. 11.8 and below is a tad rich

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------



Yes 150 is the safe limit on stock bottom end for a coyote.
Yep, 13 air fuel ratio at wot is too high and will run way lean. 12 parts to 1 is the money shot perfect. If its commanded for 11.9 parts to 1 it will be a hair rich but at least its not lean. Rich is better than lean..lol. that's really how a tune can jack up an engine commanding it to run to lean at wot.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
That's not bad what your running in the 1/4
Car has never seen the quarter. There is plenty of tracks that let you do roll events though.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
I would like to set it up for the track, in all honesty it just blows the tires off from a stop right now. Anything under 40 and its just a rolling burnout.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I would like to set it up for the track, in all honesty it just blows the tires off from a stop right now. Anything under 40 and its just a rolling burnout.
Sounds like you need new gears and wider tires what are you running now
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Sounds like you need new gears and wider tires what are you running now
3.31's and nto5rs. 305/35/19. It makes over 800 pounds of tq on the bottle, instantly. The bottle comes on at 3100. So the tq is instant.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
bama, brenspeed and Lund he said he put a email tune the drove it off the lot ran all 3 and at 1000 miles he burnt up his valves
Where are you getting your info?
I seen him post his ring groves broke, nothing about valves.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Where are you getting your info?
I seen him post his ring groves broke, nothing about valves.
Ring glands broke when the motor went boom at 11,000 miles. Piston #2 and #4. When the car had a little over a thousand miles I had to replace valves.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Ring glands broke when the motor went boom at 11,000 miles. Piston #2 and #4. When the car had a little over a thousand miles I had to replace valves.
My bad gray, thanks for clearing that up.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I assume you floated a valve Rap, did you upgrade the springs. Any idea what a good spring rate is at say, 650hp.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
3.31's and nto5rs. 305/35/19. It makes over 800 pounds of tq on the bottle, instantly. The bottle comes on at 3100. So the tq is instant.
Need to go with 4.10s or bigger with that power and probably at least 315 slicks
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Need to go with 4.10s or bigger with that power and probably at least 315 slicks
If I light them up with 3.31's, 4.10's would just be a smoke show.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

My bad gray, thanks for clearing that up.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I assume you floated a valve Rap, did you upgrade the springs. Any idea what a good spring rate is at say, 650hp.
Yes I have the boss 302 valve springs/ valves now. And I have no idea bud. The boss springs are what they are running on the cobra jet though
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
If I light them up with 3.31's, 4.10's would just be a smoke show.
4.10 grab a lot better then 3.31s you will be surprised
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
4.10 grab a lot better then 3.31s you will be surprised
You have to remember that with 3.31s your axle spins 1 time for every 3 1/4 turns of your drive shaft with 4.10s your axle spins once for every 4 turns of your drive shaft
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,245
Right but 4.10's and the mt82 you will not have a first gear.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:52 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.