Want to lower my car! Need Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Want to lower my car! Need Help!

I have 2014 gt and I want to lower it. My buddy has lowering springs from his 13 that he traded in. Can I just use the lowering springs or do I need other parts as well?
Mustang32Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Camber plates . You will need them. There are lots of threads here that tell you all the parts needed if you want to do it right . Good luck with ur setup.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Camber plates, or gt500 strut mounts. The stock mounts are not reusable and must be replaced. You have the option of getting gt500 mounts with camber bolts, or just get a nice set of cc plates, like the maximum motorsports or steedas. You may also need an adjustable panhard bar, as the rear will tend to shift when you lower the car. If you want to do it correctly, you will also need an adjustable UCA to correct your pinion angle.

Lcas and relo brackets will also help with wheelhop, since after you drop the car, the stock lcas will be off, and angled up, essentially floating the rear tire. Relo brackets will correct the lca angle, and plant the tire down.

IMO, if you're going to lower the car, do it right the first time. You will also want to look into new shocks and struts. As the stock dampeners will ride like crap if lowered, and probably wont last all that long.

Technically you can lower it without all those extra parts, but you will still have a weak, out of spec setup, terrible riding vehicle. Some will disagree with me im sure, but I've experienced both setups in person. Hence the reason I've done all supporting mods on my car.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Throwing in my $0.02 but I would argue the camber plates depending on the amount of drop you are going to do. I am running the Roush Suspension kit and did not need camber plates or bolts. However that is about an inch drop all the way around so my guess is anymore then they would be necessary. If you are going for performance then I agree with Evil2014GT, you will need all that stuff. If you are going strictly for looks then you can get away with just springs, struts, and an adjustable panhard bar. Your rear end will kick out no matter what and you need to get that centered. Good luck with your setup, hope this helps.
vans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a Brembo car with the Eibach Pro-Kit. I am buying new tires up front because my tires wore out. I've been told the Camber Bolts will bring the alignment within spec. Anyone else use just the camber bolts?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang32Bill View Post
I have 2014 gt and I want to lower it. My buddy has lowering springs from his 13 that he traded in. Can I just use the lowering springs or do I need other parts as well?
If you are lowering more than 1 1/2" you will need camber plates and pan hard rod. If you are not lowering more than 1 1/2" camber bolts and the pan hard rod is all you need.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks for all the help!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Camber plates, or gt500 strut mounts. The stock mounts are not reusable and must be replaced. You have the option of getting gt500 mounts with camber bolts, or just get a nice set of cc plates, like the maximum motorsports or steedas. You may also need an adjustable panhard bar, as the rear will tend to shift when you lower the car. If you want to do it correctly, you will also need an adjustable UCA to correct your pinion angle. Lcas and relo brackets will also help with wheelhop, since after you drop the car, the stock lcas will be off, and angled up, essentially floating the rear tire. Relo brackets will correct the lca angle, and plant the tire down. IMO, if you're going to lower the car, do it right the first time. You will also want to look into new shocks and struts. As the stock dampeners will ride like crap if lowered, and probably wont last all that long. Technically you can lower it without all those extra parts, but you will still have a weak, out of spec setup, terrible riding vehicle. Some will disagree with me im sure, but I've experienced both setups in person. Hence the reason I've done all supporting mods on my car.
Is there any company that sells allllll this as a kit? That would make my life a lot easier since I'm looking too wet my car as well.
Staytru06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staytru06 View Post

Is there any company that sells allllll this as a kit? That would make my life a lot easier since I'm looking too wet my car as well.
Pm jayman33, he'll put you a good kit together.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Sweet thanks man
Staytru06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Ford racing has a good complete selection for most Mustangs. For example:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=23039
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'd personally stay away from a single company suspension kit. Ford makes some decent springs (not hard to do) but they're dampers... along with Eibach are poor at best. They actually have a hard time supporting their own springs. Yes, better than stuff but there is much better out there, and at a better price.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Look into Steeda for sway bars and such. Their argument of having welded ends versus the industry standard of stamped ends really is interesting. And they're not priced too badly.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can I just get camber bolts? Instead of plates?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
........ See Evil2014GT's post

Quote:
Camber plates, or gt500 strut mounts. The stock mounts are not reusable and must be replaced. You have the option of getting gt500 mounts with camber bolts, or just get a nice set of cc plates, like the maximum motorsports or steedas. You may also need an adjustable panhard bar, as the rear will tend to shift when you lower the car. If you want to do it correctly, you will also need an adjustable UCA to correct your pinion angle.

Lcas and relo brackets will also help with wheelhop, since after you drop the car, the stock lcas will be off, and angled up, essentially floating the rear tire. Relo brackets will correct the lca angle, and plant the tire down.

IMO, if you're going to lower the car, do it right the first time. You will also want to look into new shocks and struts. As the stock dampeners will ride like crap if lowered, and probably wont last all that long.

Technically you can lower it without all those extra parts, but you will still have a weak, out of spec setup, terrible riding vehicle. Some will disagree with me im sure, but I've experienced both setups in person. Hence the reason I've done all supporting mods on my car.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote:
........ Also see vans5oh post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans5oh View Post
Throwing in my $0.02 but I would argue the camber plates depending on the amount of drop you are going to do. I am running the Roush Suspension kit and did not need camber plates or bolts. However that is about an inch drop all the way around so my guess is anymore then they would be necessary. If you are going for performance then I agree with Evil2014GT, you will need all that stuff. If you are going strictly for looks then you can get away with just springs, struts, and an adjustable panhard bar. Your rear end will kick out no matter what and you need to get that centered. Good luck with your setup, hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
........ and Gizmo's (aka dobypaw) post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
If you are lowering more than 1 1/2" you will need camber plates and pan hard rod. If you are not lowering more than 1 1/2" camber bolts and the pan hard rod is all you need.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Admittedly I don't have direct experience with the Ford racing suspension, though I am considering it and will research it more before I make any decision. At the end of the day i like to see a well engineered "system" that's been proven to work on the track, like Ford did with the Boss 302. There are a lot of guys who hack a way bit by bit without a full understanding of the ramifications of each component (like changing springs to lower the car but not changing the panhard bar so your rear wheels are not aligned and not being able to get a good front alignment wihout adding the adjustable camber plates). However, if you really know what your doing, then going about it piecemeal is perfectly fine as it always depends on your objectives, street,strip, road course, or just plain looks (and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't really screw up the handling and start wearing tires,etc).

I stole the quote below from American Muscle's suspension 101 series which is a pretty good guidline covering all the basics.

Panhard Bar

When changing from a four-link suspension to a three-link suspension, Ford used a panhard bar. This change results in an additional consideration for owners of these cars. With a panhard bar, as the rear axle rises and falls, movement is in a slight arc instead of completely vertical. This arc also comes into play as the car is lowered, and the result is that the rear end will shift slightly to one side as the car is lowered. The solution to this shift, is an adjustable panhard bar to replace the fixed length factory bar. This allows the rear end to be properly centered again, once the vehicle is lowered.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/suspen...ide-part3.html
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, getting the basics from AM is fine but that's about all you'll get. Don't know of many competitions they've won, or any remarks on road racing. If you want details concerning each part, go to a company that does a lot with suspensions, I typically relate this comment to tuning as well.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Yes, getting the basics from AM is fine but that's about all you'll get. Don't know of many competitions they've won, or any remarks on road racing. If you want details concerning each part, go to a company that does a lot with suspensions, I typically relate this comment to tuning as well.
Im happy with my setup, but I wish i knew about jayman33's shop before i bought it all. I probably could have saved alot of money and headaches hahaha. I did do a lot of research before buying, and ended up with what i wanted, but really all it would have taken was a PM to jayman. Even though, personally, i have always received excellent customer service from AM, there were quite a few questions they could not answer with 100% certainty when ordering a few of my suspension parts, which is why i ended up buying alot of it from Maximum motorsports. They do have fairly knowledgeable associates, but they have a pretty broad spectrum of info, and are not what I would consider "experts" on any one specific. Going with someone like jayman33, i would feel very comfortable with his ability to give me the correct info.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im happy with my setup, but I wish i knew about jayman33's shop before i bought it all. I probably could have saved alot of money and headaches hahaha. I did do a lot of research before buying, and ended up with what i wanted, but really all it would have taken was a PM to jayman. Even though, personally, i have always received excellent customer service from AM, there were quite a few questions they could not answer with 100% certainty when ordering a few of my suspension parts, which is why i ended up buying alot of it from Maximum motorsports. They do have fairly knowledgeable associates, but they have a pretty broad spectrum of info, and are not what I would consider "experts" on any one specific. Going with someone like jayman33, i would feel very comfortable with his ability to give me the correct info.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't suppose your shop is in the northeast?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Don't suppose your shop is in the northeast?
He's in North Carolina but is helping me out too. I didn't realize BMR was 45 min away from me so I will be giving them a call this weekend.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whats the drop? What springs exactly?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jason,
Whats up!? You still in NC? I thought you may have gone to Germany. I texted you a few weeks ago for some things. I ended up a couple days later addressing one for decent deal, but rather do my business with you. I still need something. I used the number I have always had and it matched the one from site. Did you get it?

OP...sorry to jack thread....This dude is good people and excellent choice to buy from. Will lead you in right direction.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Jason,
Whats up!? You still in NC? I thought you may have gone to Germany. I texted you a few weeks ago for some things. I ended up a couple days later addressing one for decent deal, but rather do my business with you. I still need something. I used the number I have always had and it matched the one from site. Did you get it?

OP...sorry to jack thread....This dude is good people and excellent choice to buy from. Will lead you in right direction.

Yeah bro, I PCSed to Germany for 2 years. Dan Schaub has my number while I'm gone with John Wyatt and Greg Hazlett running the physical portion while as well. Gotta love the military We found land in Fayetteville next to the Airport and will be building hopefully soon, I'm working on tuning and have been for awhile however, I won't offer the tuning side of this business until I know full well I can handle the pressure and completely understand every tuning aspect to every modification. Building engines, suspension work, superchargers.... I can handle, tuning is a totally different ball game!!

Sorry to thread jack, lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah bro, I PCSed to Germany for 2 years. Dan Schaub has my number while I'm gone with John Wyatt and Greg Hazlett running the physical portion while as well. Gotta love the military We found land in Fayetteville next to the Airport and will be building hopefully soon, I'm working on tuning and have been for awhile however, I won't offer the tuning side of this business until I know full well I can handle the pressure and completely understand every tuning aspect to every modification. Building engines, suspension work, superchargers.... I can handle, tuning is a totally different ball game!!

Sorry to thread jack, lol.
You got that right on Tuning. It's for sure one thing that requires thinking outside the box. I was wondering ....Like damn what is up with Jason?! I Bought some amsoil MTF last night from Greg. I been needing stuff and bought a few things but I prefer to deal with ya. I texted about the Dual Aeroforce/SOS but ended up getting a pretty good deal. I thought I had a Damn good deal locked down on a Metco UCA/UCM today but it was missing piece's and I been thru that **** before and just said nah. I think after getting a local buddy who sold his car to sell me his 1-piece alum DS, I will just wait till Black Friday to get the UCA/UCM. Gonna need some good diff. oil soon when I do it I am gonna do it all and put a catch can for the axle.
Anyway, brother you be smooth and hold it down. Stay safe and kicking ***. You still got the Boss-right? Hope so!
I'm keeping some TSW wheels I had for sale the last couple days on some boards. Closing the other at 9pm, and just gonna do a custom color. Work it out with a customer.
Do you have your car stored or over there? Be glad to see ya home and safe. Like to stop by and if you get a shop you need to let me know.
Peace and brother love man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT