Front end jack point - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Front end jack point

I track my '13 GT exclusively and I need to rotate my tires right side to left which (without a lift) would require lifting the front end and rear end together with my floor jack. On the rear I use the differential housing to lift until I can get the jack stands under it. However, I can't find a good or safe place centrally on the front end to place the jack and lift to get stands under the torque boxes. Any suggestions?
BAS433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Lol jack up from the side framerails...or do rears from pumpkin and rotate...then lower it jack up side put a jack stand then jack up other side...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
I would just rotate the tires from front to back. There's no need to cross rotate them if you have a good alignment. I've only rotated the tires of my cars (and family cars) front to back and never had an issue with uneven or fast tread wear.

With only rotating front to back, you can jack up one sides at a time from the frame rail. Throw some jack stands under there for safe measure and swap the tires. It's a much quicker job if you don't have access to a lift!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Radial tires are not ment to be rotated side to side, there directional. You can do it, but the tire needs broken down and flipped so it's always turning in the same direction.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

You can jack the front-end up by the cross member/k member.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Radial tires are not ment to be rotated side to side, there directional. You can do it, but the tire needs broken down and flipped so it's always turning in the same direction.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

You can jack the front-end up by the cross member/k member.
If you do jack from the cross member, make sure you're centered on it. If you don't, you could lift unevenly, and once your front wheels are off the floor, you could be un-level, causing the car to slip or slide off the jack. Center the jack, lift it up, and get the jack-stands under the suspension. The less time on the jack, the better.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Next house I get I'm making sure its got a tall garage and I'm putting a lift there
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just a suggestion, but you can do as you wish... Be very careful jacking these new Mustangs by the center cross-member pad. If you'll notice, the center ribbed pad is not level with the frame. Going forward, its ribbed surface face is elevated. I've raised mine utilizing the center pad, but I had to ensure the jack pad was placed near the back of the ribbed surface, so my jack pad wasn't canted in relation to the cross-member pad's surface. Heaven forbid it slipped off and went into or through the oil pan.

In saving myself a potential catastrophe, I bought a pair of Rhino ramps from Wally World. My stock GT/TP front splitter clears them just fine. I now use my jack to put the car's rear on jack stands, after the front is up on ramps. I haven't had the need to jack with all 4 tires free to spin. If necessary, I could place the front on stands as well, vice ramps.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Next house I get I'm making sure its got a tall garage and I'm putting a lift there
That's the spirit!! Don't forget the floor drain! Seriously, how many of us wish wh had a floor-drain in our garage?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fader View Post

That's the spirit!! Don't forget the floor drain! Seriously, how many of us wish wh had a floor-drain in our garage?
I put a floor drain in mine, along with hot and cold water.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I put a floor drain in mine, along with hot and cold water.

Yeah, a little jealous!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Modern radials tires are not directional. Only the tread nowadays can make one directional and the sidewall will show fitment rotation direction. In the olden days of early radials it was an issue with the belting, not now.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT