Headers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
So what I'm grabbing from parts of this thread is that power-wise it doesn't make sense to get long tubes AND the o/r x-pipe? I know the sound would change but getting one versus getting both won't help? I'm also seeing/hearing that h-pipes produce and deeper rumble (which is what I'm looking for). I was looking at getting BBK longtubes, o/r x-pipe, and GT500 axelbacks to get power and a deep, not too raspy, consistent sound. Is there a flaw in this?
If you want deep sound. Go with the offroad H pipe. X pipe will rasp some.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
So what I'm grabbing from parts of this thread is that power-wise it doesn't make sense to get long tubes AND the o/r x-pipe? I know the sound would change but getting one versus getting both won't help? I'm also seeing/hearing that h-pipes produce and deeper rumble (which is what I'm looking for). I was looking at getting BBK longtubes, o/r x-pipe, and GT500 axelbacks to get power and a deep, not too raspy, consistent sound. Is there a flaw in this?
Here is a video of my son's old 2011 which had BBK long tubes, o/r x-pipe, and Pypes Pipe Bomb a/b.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=WRp-nOq-8vM
NoSlo5oH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
If you want a deeprumble more muscle car sound h pipe is the way to go if you want more nascar exotic sound go x pipe. Odious don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on headers stainless works has a company called stainless power which are very reasonable headers. Stainless power is just outsiurced to China for manufacturing I believe hence the Lower price. However stainless power is still made to the specs of stainless works. Not to mention I heard a set in person and they sound great.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH View Post
Here is a video of my son's old 2011 which had BBK long tubes, o/r x-pipe, and Pypes Pipe Bomb a/b. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c...&v=WRp-nOq-8vM

That's the sound I like. Man that think sounded mean. How much HP was he making with that setup?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes sound will change slightly. But as far as power, nothing at all really.
Its all in the tune, headers make a big difference with an F/I setup. You'll actually notice a difference on N/A setups, its not all about peak H/P dyno numbers which is what I see a lot of people talking about in here. You smooth out the entire exhaust, better scavenging, increased HP throughout the power band, etc, like I said before... its all in the tune. A tune you won't get from some of these big companies.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post

Its all in the tune, headers make a big difference with an F/I setup. You'll actually notice a difference on N/A setups, its not all about peak H/P dyno numbers which is what I see a lot of people talking about in here. You smooth out the entire exhaust, better scavenging, increased HP throughout the power band, etc, like I said before... its all in the tune. A tune you won't get from some of these big companies.
But wouldn't turbocharge applications require a custom exhaust manifold so getting a manifold sold as an NA unit be useless?

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Well I guess for supercharging its good
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
That's the sound I like. Man that think sounded mean. How much HP was he making with that setup?
He made 410 rwhp (can't remember what the torque was) with a Bama tune. I think he would have made more power had the dyno operator made the pull in 5th gear instead of 4th.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post

My car put down over 700 with the longtubes and still over 700 without them. When I put the new motor in we didnt put the longtubes back on. So ?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car put down over 700 with the longtubes and still over 700 without them. When I put the new motor in we didnt put the longtubes back on. So ?

So you are saying the long tubes are just for sound correct?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting read..but was your power and torque curve identical? I think that's what he is referring to
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So you are saying the long tubes are just for sound correct?
I only lost about 7 hp and gained tq going back to the stock ones

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

The reason I swaped back is bc. After the first of the year im going with a single turbo. And dropping the bottle down to 150-200. Going shoot for 750 with the turbo and around 900 with the botrle
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I only lost about 7 hp and gained tq going back to the stock ones ---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ---------- The reason I swaped back is bc. After the first of the year im going with a single turbo. And dropping the bottle down to 150-200. Going shoot for 750 with the turbo and around 900 with the botrle
Why wouldn't the longer tubes be better than the stock ones for the single turbo and spray?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why wouldn't the longer tubes be better than the stock ones for the single turbo and spray?
It is. He lost 7hp going back to the stocker. 7hp gain going LT.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
It is. He lost 7hp going back to the stocker. 7hp gain going LT.
That is without a turbo though. He said the reason why he went back to stock is BECAUSE he is getting one. I want to know why.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is without a turbo though. He said the reason why he went back to stock is BECAUSE he is getting one. I want to know why.
I think he just went back to test if he would lose any and how much. 7hp at 700hp is nothing and probably not worth going back to since turbos require a custom exhaust manifold.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bc with a single turbo you use your stock manifolds. You dont use longtubes for a turbo thats why
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think he just went back to test if he would lose any and how much. 7hp at 700hp is nothing and probably not worth going back to since turbos require a custom exhaust manifold.
Plus he said he gained torque which makes sense. Back pressure produces more torque than freer flowing system.

I wouldn't waste 2-3hrs reinstalling the longtubes if I just gain 7hp and lose "more" (than 7) torque.

Plus having to change the system again at the first of the year for the turbo.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Go ahead and get the headers Anthony, you will be glad you did. The sound alone is reason enough to do it.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

A single turbo will use your stock manifolds. Thats why I swaped back to them,while motor was out. That way come first of the year, all I have to do is, bolt on turbo kit
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bc with a single turbo you use your stock manifolds. You dont use longtubes for a turbo thats why
What about for a supercharger?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What about for a supercharger?
Yes longtubes will work good for a supercharger. If you want the longtubes get them man. You will be happy.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes longtubes will work good for a supercharger. If you want the longtubes get them man. You will be happy.
Will do sir. Can you go into deeper detail of how and why the stock manifold and tubes will be good for the turbo set up you are doing?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Will do sir. Can you go into deeper detail of how and why the stock manifold and tubes will be good for the turbo set up you are doing?
Bc a turbo single turbo kit from hellion/jpc is designed to hook up to your stock manifolds. The only way to run a turbo kit with longtubes would be a completely custom setup. Nobody makes a kit for a turbo to hook up to longtubes.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bc a turbo single turbo kit from hellion/jpc is designed to hook up to your stock manifolds. The only way to run a turbo kit with longtubes would be a completely custom setup. Nobody makes a kit for a turbo to hook up to longtubes.
Oh ok. I thought it was because of a more technical issue. Ok. So on the long tube subject. Ceramic costs more. I'm assuming because they are better. But is the $100-$200 difference between ceramic and the other kind really worth it?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh ok. I thought it was because of a more technical issue. Ok. So on the long tube subject. Ceramic costs more. I'm assuming because they are better. But is the $100-$200 difference between ceramic and the other kind really worth it?
Ceramic is just going to keep temps down under the hood some. Go with stainless works longtubes. One of the best out there and really good price
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Check your PM Anthony.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ceramic is just going to keep temps down under the hood some. Go with stainless works longtubes. One of the best out there and really good price
Yes sir. Now what's a catted x pipe? I think it goes after the headers right?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes sir. Now what's a catted x pipe? I think it goes after the headers right?
Yes it goes after. Its your midpipe. You can go catless or with the cats. Its called a xpipe bc of the shape.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes it goes after. Its your midpipe. You can go catless or with the cats. Its called a xpipe bc of the shape.
Lol hence why it's called an x pipe. So if it has cats then it would be street legal right? And cat less means off road which isn't street legal right?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol hence why it's called an x pipe. So if it has cats then it would be street legal right? And cat less means off road which isn't street legal right?
Yes you are right. Unless you live in cali. Then highflow cats arent legal either
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes you are right. Unless you live in cali. Then highflow cats arent legal either
Cali... Great place to live. Horrible place to drive.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cali... Great place to live. Horrible place to drive.
I have never been there, my wife want to go though.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have never been there, my wife want to go though.
Imagine Texas road rage multiplied by two to three times the people.

Traffic laws are retarded and they actually ticket for stupid laws.

A good few of my friends got tickets for turning while a pedestrian is still crossing the street. You have to wait until the pedestrian is completely on the sidewalk before you turn else you get a ticket.

Pissed me the hell off when I first moved there. You have idiots that cross the street and then they see you pull up waiting for them and they look you in the eye and actually slow down to a crawl. One guy actually fumbled for a lighter and lit his damn cigarette while crossing. Stopping to light about six feet from getting on the sidewalk.

I tell you Cali is a state of extreme sense of entitlement. Sorry any of you that's in Cali. I don't hate all of you... Just the idjut
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Imagine Texas road rage multiplied by two to three times the people.

Traffic laws are retarded and they actually ticket for stupid laws.

A good few of my friends got tickets for turning while a pedestrian is still crossing the street. You have to wait until the pedestrian is completely on the sidewalk before you turn else you get a ticket.

Pissed me the hell off when I first moved there. You have idiots that cross the street and then they see you pull up waiting for them and they look you in the eye and actually slow down to a crawl. One guy actually fumbled for a lighter and lit his damn cigarette while crossing. Stopping to light about six feet from getting on the sidewalk.

I tell you Cali is a state of extreme sense of entitlement. Sorry any of you that's in Cali. I don't hate all of you... Just the idjut
Does not sound fun at all lol
Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Sigh.... again, you are looking at peak horsepower gain and not the powerband as a whole. If you drive a dyno queen the peak HP might mean something to you, if you track your car at all especially road course it means a lot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT