Headers - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
Ok. So the mid pipes come in H and X. I'm assuming that's a preference thing right? I'm assuming installing headers requires the engine to be taken out?
Yes X-pipes and H-pipes. It's just a preference thing. No the engine doesn't have to come out but you have to remove the motor mounts one at a time and raise the engine on each side to get the headers in. It's a tight fit in there.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangreazon50 View Post
So what I'm grabbing from parts of this thread is that power-wise it doesn't make sense to get long tubes AND the o/r x-pipe? I know the sound would change but getting one versus getting both won't help? I'm also seeing/hearing that h-pipes produce and deeper rumble (which is what I'm looking for). I was looking at getting BBK longtubes, o/r x-pipe, and GT500 axelbacks to get power and a deep, not too raspy, consistent sound. Is there a flaw in this?
I sell you a bbk shorty xpipe brand new never used 200 shipped
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Ok. So the mid pipes come in H and X. I'm assuming that's a preference thing right? I'm assuming installing headers requires the engine to be taken out?
The engine doesn't have to come out to install headers. The shop that you said you were going to use should know that.
NoSlo5oH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Ill be installing Borla XR-1 Long tube headers on my GT over the winter in my garage. I've looked into LTH installs in depth this past month and it doesn't seem too overly complicated and engine removal is not necessary. You will however need to carefully prop the engine ON THE SIDE of the oil pan with a jack because u will be removing the motor mounts 1 side at a time. Seems like the drivers side will need the steering rod loosened and moved out of the way along with the motor mount. As for the passanger side, you'll need to remove the motor mount, starter and possibly the AC compressor.

As for price, I found new Borla LT's for $795 shipped on amazon and I bought my Borla x-pipe for $224 shipped. So $1019.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

I recently swapped out my stock H-pipe for the Borla X-pipe and I can't say im overly pleased with the result. Im sure I netted a couple HP by ridding myself of the choke points on the factory H-pipe but I was disappointed by how quite and finely tuned my car sounded afterward. I miss the burbley note that follows after you let off the gas. For those that say H-pipe is for that great muscle car sound and X-pipe is for that exotic sound, that couldn't be truer.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO View Post
Ill be installing Borla XR-1 Long tube headers on my GT over the winter in my garage. I've looked into LTH installs in depth this past month and it doesn't seem too overly complicated and engine removal is not necessary. You will however need to carefully prop the engine ON THE SIDE of the oil pan with a jack because u will be removing the motor mounts 1 side at a time. Seems like the drivers side will need the steering rod loosened and moved out of the way along with the motor mount. As for the passanger side, you'll need to remove the motor mount, starter and possibly the AC compressor. As for price, I found new Borla LT's for $795 shipped on amazon and I bought my Borla x-pipe for $224 shipped. So $1019.

I'm debating on doing the work myself. One thing I have come to learn is now and days you can find lots of people that can give you a "how to". Social Media has saved me and lots of ppl money on so many projects. I'm a mechanical engineer so taking something apart and putting it back together doesn't scare me. I just want to make sure I do things the right way and have the proper tools necessary. All that said. When removing the motor mounts do I need to make sure the engine is secured with something else besides the jack? Like something along the lines of a jack stand? Also would it be better to do the work on a lift?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When removing the motor mounts do I need to make sure the engine is secured with something else besides the jack? Like something along the lines of a jack stand? Also would it be better to do the work on a lift?
A trolley jack if the cars on jacks or a pole jack if the cars on a lift should do. Your gonna wanna work on just 1 side at a time. So use ur pole jack to support the engine with a small wooden 2x4 block on the corner of the oil pan closest to the header your working on. Remove only that sides motor mount. Install the header and reinstall the motor mount then repeat for the other side.

If i could work on a lift i would but my garage will have to do so ill be using a trolley jack and 2 maybe 4 jackstands.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #113
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Really? I experienced it buddy. So STFU

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Im about sick of some of yall on here
Let's see if you can take some criticism?

You bring it on yourself bud... You have arguments with a lot of people on here. In the past week I've seen at least 8 different arguments with 8 different people. It's your holier than thou attitude and my car this and my car that. Your likeabillity takes a hit each and every day.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A trolley jack if the cars on jacks or a pole jack if the cars on a lift should do. Your gonna wanna work on just 1 side at a time. So use ur pole jack to support the engine with a small wooden 2x4 block on the corner of the oil pan closest to the header your working on. Remove only that sides motor mount. Install the header and reinstall the motor mount then repeat for the other side. If i could work on a lift i would but my garage will have to do so ill be using a trolley jack and 2 maybe 4 jackstands.

A block? That won't damage the engine?

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Let's see if you can take some criticism? You bring it on yourself bud... You have arguments with a lot of people on here. In the past week I've seen at least 8 different arguments with 8 different people. It's your holier than thou attitude and my car this and my car that. Your likeabillity takes a hit each and every day.
I'm not trying to get into any argument. But can one person experience a different problem with a car and another person not see the same results as the next?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #115
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'm not trying to get into any argument. But can one person experience a different problem with a car and another person not see the same results as the next?
Sure they can. But Rapinator stated he was getting real tired of some of the people on here and my quote to him was telling him why. He's usually in an argument with someone.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

You guys are crazy arguing about boost with long tubes. You're supercharger is nothing but a air compressor. You lower the restrictions on your engine by adding things like larger intakes and headers. Your engine will still spin the blower to the same rpm as before, and the supercharger can only make so much boost at any given rpm. The boost is just a measurement of the air present in the intake system that's being compressed. Lessen the restriction and your guage will show less on the exhaust side. Lower restriction on the intake side and the guage will show higher. Either way you guy, horsepower will be gained. If you make 18psi, then slap on long tubes, and the guage only shows 16.5 you will still have gained a generous amount of HP/tq. It's up to you at that point if you want to spin the blower harder to make up your "lost boost".

This affect of long tubes has no relevance when it comes to nitrous. Nitrous cools your engine considerably, and exhaust heat scavenging is nowhere near as important. It also burns quick and clean, and if you have it tuned right HUGE power gains can be safely had. Long tubes are not going to net HUGE gains on these engines over the stock/slightly modified exhaust. You already have "headers" on the car from the factory. The cats are the only real restriction in the exhaust flow and the data proves it. Otherwise cars with an O/R mid pipe would be no comparison to a car with long tubes and the same modifications. When you add boost that's a completely different monster.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I recently swapped out my stock H-pipe for the Borla X-pipe and I can't say im overly pleased with the result. Im sure I netted a couple HP by ridding myself of the choke points on the factory H-pipe but I was disappointed by how quite and finely tuned my car sounded afterward. I miss the burbley note that follows after you let off the gas. For those that say H-pipe is for that great muscle car sound and X-pipe is for that exotic sound, that couldn't be truer.
If you want the "burbley" sound back, cut your resonators out.
2013Coyote5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Coyote5.0 View Post
If you want the "burbley" sound back, cut your resonators out.
Noted . Still gotta get some decent over the axel pipes. Hopefully that works.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Quote:
A block? That won't damage the engine?
No, the wooden block will act like a cushion between the jack and the oil pan. Way better than metal on metal.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I'm debating on doing the work myself. One thing I have come to learn is now and days you can find lots of people that can give you a "how to". Social Media has saved me and lots of ppl money on so many projects. I'm a mechanical engineer so taking something apart and putting it back together doesn't scare me. I just want to make sure I do things the right way and have the proper tools necessary. All that said. When removing the motor mounts do I need to make sure the engine is secured with something else besides the jack? Like something along the lines of a jack stand? Also would it be better to do the work on a lift?
I did my LT's in my driveway on jackstands and it really is not hard at all its just tight, and yes you can jack the the engine up with the jack I jacked it from where the tranny met the block and it was fine, the hardest parts is getting the cat bolts out, but even thats not too hard, I did mine in a day by myself and with air tools could of been done in half the time.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let's see if you can take some criticism?

You bring it on yourself bud... You have arguments with a lot of people on here. In the past week I've seen at least 8 different arguments with 8 different people. It's your holier than thou attitude and my car this and my car that. Your likeabillity takes a hit each and every day.
I dont say my car this and my car that. So if u dont like something dont read it
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #121
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

I dont say my car this and my car that. So if u dont like something dont read it
Yep knew it. Can't take the criticism. Don't worry I ignore "most" of what you say.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep knew it. Can't take the criticism. Don't worry I ignore "most" of what you say.
Cool bud
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT