Gears for F/I - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Gears for F/I

I have been searching for a few hours now and I am not really finding much useful information on this. Either my searching needs improvement or this really has not been discussed a lot.

I have a 2012 GT auto, my daily driver. Currently it has the Bama tune, intake, and o/r h-pipe.

In a couple of years, once I have saved up enough, I am going to go F/I.

My question is what gears if any should I look into?

I have read that the 3.15s are decent to keep, especially since this is my daily driver. However I have also read that 3.31s seem to be the best with F/I and 3.55s seem to be the upper limit of what you would want to do.

So here is basically what I am trying to find out.

Should I stay stock or change them? If I change them should I go 3.31 or 3.55? And finally, with each answer I would like a why, as in why should I stay stock or pick the other gears?

One last question is; is it worth the $800 (best local quote I have found for all parts and labor) to go to 3.31 over 3.15 if that is what you recommend?

I guess I can throw one more question in here. This is my DD and may only see the track a few times in its life, so would looking into a torque converter instead of gears be a better option? If so, who/what should I look at?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Duck Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There's plenty of other ways to waste your money.. Like on stickers, neon lights, or a huge rpm guage with a shift light. This thread has been beaten over the head with a big ol' stick a number of times, but my suggestion for you is to get the blower first. If you get the blower and can somehow convince yourself that it's not enough then waste your money on the gears.

A torque converter that has a decent stall will yield you results on the track immediately. The streets however would provide no benefit because you shouldn't race on the street anyways.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
3.73s seem to be the gear of choice for most people, even with superchargers. The only person i recommended going from 3.31 lower is Rapinator cause he has 0 traction under 40mph when he hits the gas, but he is also at about 700 horses to the wheels and 800 ft lbs at the wheels as well. I would say go with 3.73, if you go 3.15 to 3.31 it won't make a huge difference and you will feel like you wasted that $800.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
3.73s seem to be the gear of choice for most people, even with superchargers. The only person i recommended going from 3.31 lower is Rapinator cause he has 0 traction under 40mph when he hits the gas, but he is also at about 700 horses to the wheels and 800 ft lbs at the wheels as well. I would say go with 3.73, if you go 3.15 to 3.31 it won't make a huge difference and you will feel like you wasted that $800.
Not in a automatic, and supercharged 5.0s make 600+HP with the base kits. He will be in the same boat, with no traction, even with the crappy gearing the v6s come with.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Depends on the supercharger. If its a centrifugal the boost won't be as instant as a twin screw would, thats why i say 3.73s. 3.55 at the lowest. And it will be even better for an auto than a manual because you won't have to worry about such short shifting.

HID end all thread
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Depends on the supercharger. If its a centrifugal the boost won't be as instant as a twin screw would, thats why i say 3.73s. 3.55 at the lowest. And it will be even better for an auto than a manual because you won't have to worry about such short shifting.
Might be fun on the street but 3.73 is def too much gear with a centri at the strip
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Fastest automatic coyote in the world has 3:15 gears. And so does the fastest NA automatic coyote.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
There's plenty of other ways to waste your money.. Like on stickers, neon lights, or a huge rpm guage with a shift light. This thread has been beaten over the head with a big ol' stick a number of times, but my suggestion for you is to get the blower first. If you get the blower and can somehow convince yourself that it's not enough then waste your money on the gears.

A torque converter that has a decent stall will yield you results on the track immediately. The streets however would provide no benefit because you shouldn't race on the street anyways.
Lol rpm guage...try tachometer
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post

Lol rpm guage...try tachometer
It's a joke.. Derp
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

It's a joke.. Derp
Lol doesnt matter...all that matters is that a massive tach adds at least 10 hp and for each sticker you add on your side skirts nets you 2 hp a piece...its common knowledge. I cant believe there is not a sticky on this.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Btw $800 for gears and install seems a bit high. AM has a gear kit for $250.00 or something close to that? Thats over $500 for install. Idk where your from or what shops you looked into but In chicago a gear install is about $300.00 - $400.00. Hope this helps
Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Btw $800 for gears and install seems a bit high. AM has a gear kit for $250.00 or something close to that? Thats over $500 for install. Idk where your from or what shops you looked into but In chicago a gear install is about $300.00 - $400.00. Hope this helps
Depends all on the area. That $800 is about what it would cost me also. In in Northern Cali. Shops here will charge $450 for just labor. Then there is the gears, the install kit, the rebuild kid (if yours is high miles like mine). It adds up quick.

HID end all thread
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If it means anything at all, I had 4:56s installed in my 4wd and it cost me $1000 even. The parts cost me $450-500 alone.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Skip the gears, and do a converter. But I wouldn't do either one until you actually go F/I.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol doesnt matter...all that matters is that a massive tach adds at least 10 hp and for each sticker you add on your side skirts nets you 2 hp a piece...its common knowledge. I cant believe there is not a sticky on this.
So if I add a gt500 spoiler i should get atleast 5-6 hp?if that's the case I'm putting a whole gt 500 body kit to get the most hp ha
Torchred2010gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred2010gt View Post

So if I add a gt500 spoiler i should get atleast 5-6 hp?if that's the case I'm putting a whole gt 500 body kit to get the most hp ha
What the hell... In that case a Honda driver driving a Mustang would +200hp?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Vader View Post
I have been searching for a few hours now and I am not really finding much useful information on this. Either my searching needs improvement or this really has not been discussed a lot.

I have a 2012 GT auto, my daily driver. Currently it has the Bama tune, intake, and o/r h-pipe.

In a couple of years, once I have saved up enough, I am going to go F/I.

My question is what gears if any should I look into?

I have read that the 3.15s are decent to keep, especially since this is my daily driver. However I have also read that 3.31s seem to be the best with F/I and 3.55s seem to be the upper limit of what you would want to do.

So here is basically what I am trying to find out.

Should I stay stock or change them? If I change them should I go 3.31 or 3.55? And finally, with each answer I would like a why, as in why should I stay stock or pick the other gears?

One last question is; is it worth the $800 (best local quote I have found for all parts and labor) to go to 3.31 over 3.15 if that is what you recommend?

I guess I can throw one more question in here. This is my DD and may only see the track a few times in its life, so would looking into a torque converter instead of gears be a better option? If so, who/what should I look at?

Thanks in advance for the help.
This is definitely a commonly asked question! It really comes down to what you're after with the car. Your 3.15's may be a little tall, I'd recommend going with a 3.31 or 3.55 at the lowest! This will allow you to stay in boost longer and you won't be shifting as much. If you go with a 3.73 or 4.10, you're going to have to shift every time you hit full boost!

One of our Employee's here has a 2012 Boss 302 with a 2.9 whipple. On the factory 3.73's it was a blast to drive but every time he hit full boost it was time to shift. We installed a set of 3.31's and it got noticeably faster. He was hitting full boost at a lower RPM and pulling like a freight train all the way to red line!

This is just some of my personal experience and opinion. I hope some of this information helps you with your decision! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT