Is a CAI worth it? I added new parts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Is a CAI worth it? I added new parts

So I put on the Jeg cat deletes and a Bama Tune to go with the flowmaster american thunder cat-back I added last month. To commemorate the 1,000 mile mark on the GT.

Would there be any noticeable gain by adding a CAI? I know the 5.0 has one already, but it seems the reviews says its worth it.
lwevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwevert View Post
So I put on the Jeg cat deletes and a Bama Tune to go with the flowmaster american thunder cat-back I added last month. To commemorate the 1,000 mile mark on the GT.

Would there be any noticeable gain by adding a CAI? I know the 5.0 has one already, but it seems the reviews says its worth it.
Not worth it performance wise. They look good but that's about it. I wouldn't waste the money, use it elsewhere
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Not worth it performance wise. They look good but that's about it. I wouldn't waste the money, use it elsewhere
+1. I'd start on the suspension next
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to get some rubber next. looking at the XXR 521's 18x9 in front and 18x10 in the back.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
A good CAI will get you a few extra HP with a different tune. The CAI's are basically for looks, sound, and uninformed bragging rights.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

These are for sounds mostly. Unless you drive around town without a hood which solves another problem with an aftermarket CAI.

Whenever you see dyno run results that show +10HP gains and whatnot with a CAI its because the shops run the dynos indoors which is automatically cooler than outside (unless its winter time then it'll be warmer) and they have the hood popped open with a couple of fans blowing over the CAI and engine.

With an open air CAI you will just end up sucking up hot engine air. Even with their compartments that supposedly seal in the CAI its far from an airtight seal. You can gauge the inlet temperature you'll see that the stocker will stay cooler a bit longer than the CAI. With the CAI the inlet temp goes up almost immediately.

But I love my CAI cuz of the sound.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1.... Not worth it at all....Spend on other things. I had a JLT CF CAI for about a year and sold it to buy more suspension mods. I actually ran a tad quicker with stock air box. Now all that is debatable based on different day and DA and on and on. IMO don't buy now. If you want it for looks do it later
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sound advice everyone. I'll look at getting some suspension and rubber. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Sound advice everyone. I'll look at getting some suspension and rubber. Thanks.
Good decision! I just replaced my lower control arms with Steeda ones. I could not believe how weak and worthless the stock ones were. I have the track pack, which is supposed to be upgraded control arms. You would never be able to tell they were upgraded at all. Most of my wheel hop is gone and my launches are 10 times better. Upgrade your suspension to be able to actually put the power you have to the ground before adding power mods. You won't be disappointed.
Crewchief15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Is your car lowered yet? If I replace the lower controls do I have to replace anything else?

I'm stationed in Hawaii until january so I am waiting to order wheels until I get to Florida. Shipping is too Damn expensive to the island
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Is your car lowered yet? If I replace the lower controls do I have to replace anything else? I'm stationed in Hawaii until january so I am waiting to order wheels until I get to Florida. Shipping is too Damn expensive to the island
Nope! I'm not lowered yet. They are a direct replacement part. However, if you do lower your car, you will need to get relocation brackets for your lower control arms. That being said, you do not need relo brackets for stock rode height. If you do lower it, pay attention to which relocation brackets you buy. Most have to be welded on but there are some that are bolt on. More knowledgable people on this site will be able to point you in the right direction.
Crewchief15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get the steeda lca's ordered tonight.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

It sounds like you're definitely off to a good start with your 5.0! Deleting the cats, opening up the rest of the exhaust and throwing a Bama custom tune on there is definitely a great start.

"Is a CAI worth it" is one of the most commonly asked questions on the forums. I think it really comes down to what you're after. A CAI is not going to wow you with gains of 15+ RWHP. However, you'll definitely notice a slight increase in power and torque, throttle response and engine noise! Last but not least, if you take your Mustang to shows this is a must have IMO. I went with an AIRAID CF Intake on my 2011 GT and have absolutely no complaints! Looks great, sounds incredible and I definitely noticed a difference on the butt dyno.

I do agree with everyone here saying that modifying your suspension may be more benefical. A set of Lower Springs, Upper and Lower Control arms, Pan Hard bar, 1-piece driveshaft etc.. are all great mods for the 2011 Mustangs! I picked up 4-5 tenths at the track just from the listed suspension mods.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

It sounds like you're definitely off to a good start with your 5.0! Deleting the cats, opening up the rest of the exhaust and throwing a Bama custom tune on there is definitely a great start.

"Is a CAI worth it" is one of the most commonly asked questions on the forums. I think it really comes down to what you're after. A CAI is not going to wow you with gains of 15+ RWHP. However, you'll definitely notice a slight increase in power and torque, throttle response and engine noise! Last but not least, if you take your Mustang to shows this is a must have IMO. I went with an AIRAID CF Intake on my 2011 GT and have absolutely no complaints! Looks great, sounds incredible and I definitely noticed a difference on the butt dyno.

I do agree with everyone here saying that modifying your suspension may be more benefical. A set of Lower Springs, Upper and Lower Control arms, Pan Hard bar, 1-piece driveshaft etc.. are all great mods for the 2011 Mustangs! I picked up 4-5 tenths at the track just from the listed suspension mods.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Two things that I don't think people ever really bring up when talking about CAI though and Dan is right.

1.) CAI will give you some gains but this is usually throughout the entire bandwidth

2.) Mods are cumulative effect in that its not about simply one mod you do but the entire picture. So the +2-5hp that you may gain from a CAI plus cat deletes plus headers plus catback plus Boss intake plus tunes would give you about 420-425whp which is about +60whp more than stock. Automatics will have lower HP than manuals though not sure which you have.

Bottom line. It's your money do what you like and just have fun.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and as a measure of whether some mod is "worth it" or not you can figure out the HP per dollar gain. And then compare it to some other part.
CAI with 4WHP @$200 = $50 per WHP

Car delete pipes with 12whp @ $200 = $16.67 per WHP

Catback with 4WHP @$700 = $175 per WHP
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and since a lot of people would readily blast out "just get a supercharger or turbocharger" the dollars per WHP is something like 153WHP at $8500 = $55.56 per WHP so technically... The CAI is at least on orders of about as worth it as a supercharger on a dollars per HP basis.

*based in the 675HP roush supercharger kit and factoring in 15% loss at 573whp - 420whp = 153whp

Of course other factors will affect overall all HP gains minus any discounts or deals or fall off the truck laymedown deals you find...
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Oh and since a lot of people would readily blast out "just get a supercharger or turbocharger" the dollars per WHP is something like 153WHP at $8500 = $55.56 per WHP so technically... The CAI is at least on orders of about as worth it as a supercharger on a dollars per HP basis. *based in the 675HP roush supercharger kit and factoring in 15% loss at 573whp - 420whp = 153whp Of course other factors will affect overall all HP gains minus any discounts or deals or fall off the truck laymedown deals you find...
Or get the same kit from VMP for $5999.99. Don't really know where you pulled the outrageous price of $8500 from? Add in the fact that you subtracted 420whp instead of 357 (according to your assumed 15% drivetrain loss). These cars have 420 crank hp! Once your solution is corrected you come up with an extra 216.75 whp at a price of $27.68 per hp. So you were a tad bit off!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey Dallasstang let's compare fairly, 420hp - 15% = 357hp. / 675 - 15% = 573 / so 573 - 357 = 216 / so that leaves $ 8500.00 • 216hp = $39.35 per hp.
FlGtPrem013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlGtPrem013 View Post
Hey Dallasstang let's compare fairly, 420hp - 15% = 357hp. / 675 - 15% = 573 / so 573 - 357 = 216 / so that leaves $ 8500.00 • 216hp = $39.35 per hp.
I was using the assumption

1.) based on my previous list of bolt on mods netting about 420whp

2.) $6,999 from AM (http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...er-1114gt.html) which I did make a disclaimer actual HP is subjected to other factors and discounts and price breaks and differences.

3.) Assuming $1500 for installation in the high end. Plus perhaps clutch to handle the power

I can't remember the video when AM dyno ran the SC install if it had other mods but I'm assuming that it did have other mods. So I did take the liberty of "assuming" the starting point of at least a full exhaust system on their car that they tested. These coyotes run anywhere from 400-433(gtstyles2) from just the mods I listed so I made the assumption of those first.

Based on the most likely case scenario that people won't usually go from stock to a SC application so its whatever the final whp is minus the current dyno reading.

If however AM's supercharged car was completely stock with stock exhaust and manifold and intake then you can say 573whp - 360whp. But since I'm assuming everyone will have some sort of mod prior to the SC then my calculation is applicable in my example.

I'm at work can't watch the video of the dyno runs. Gonna get in trouble. But interesting question. If someone has ever installed a roush 675hp SC into a STOCK GT with no other mods I'd love to know if it returns 573whp or not.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Apologies they ran a Helion single turbo kit ($6,294.99 http://www.americanmuscle.com/hellion-turbo-11gt.html)

Still can't watch the video yet but checking out the complete list of things they have on it by Stage 4 its not a stocker.

Hmmm never thought of installing FI onto a stock car. Is that possible or even possibly safe with just a tune?

Damn can't wait to get off work.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I love my roush CAI. It does make a difference in sound. In cold weather it seem to be worth a few hp. Not a high HP increase but looks nicer at the car show. Without a tune it's prob only worth 5rwp at best.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
"Is a CAI worth it" ... Last but not least, if you take your Mustang to shows this is a must have IMO.
Agreed. I like the looks of Roush and JLT.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
boo my sig for results through the factory airbox....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to order a CAI I'm the next few weeks. I'm going to look for a used one first. My plan is an eventual SC. Probably some time next year when I get done with trAining and get to San Antonio.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Even with their compartments that supposedly seal in the CAI its far from an airtight seal.
Not true with the AEM intake. Main reason i went with the AEM intake was that it creates a completely sealed compartment separate from engine bay heat and sucks its air through the factory snorkel hole. My inlet temperatures stay almost exactly as cool as the outside temperature. Only trade off was that the sealed box deadens the throaty roar of the intake quite a bit. Can't really hear it over the exhaust anyways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2333155608.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	134311
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO View Post
Not true with the AEM intake. Main reason i went with the AEM intake was that it creates a completely sealed compartment separate from engine bay heat and sucks its air through the factory snorkel hole. My inlet temperatures stay almost exactly as cool as the outside temperature. Only trade off was that the sealed box deadens the throaty roar of the intake quite a bit. Can't really hear it over the exhaust anyways.
Very nice. But does the aluminum pipe soak up heat? I know my AirAid plastic soaks heat but not sure if metal and plastic radiates heat or transfers heat more or less or the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very nice. But does the aluminum pipe soak up heat? I know my AirAid plastic soaks heat but not sure if metal and plastic radiates heat or transfers heat more or less or the same.
I heard that the air is flowing through the tubes on our intakes far too fast for it to soak up a noticeable amount of heat. I guess it makes sense when u think about it but dont quote me on it.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

Agreed. I like the looks of Roush and JLT.
I take mine to the drag strip and it seems to help. In very hot weather it prob is not gaining any hp.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Looks good, I never seen that intake on a Coyote... Now u gotta get rid of that tapeworm to compliment the look!! Is that a "no tune" intake?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
So basically it's a flashy stock air box lmao
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol don't make him feel bad. I'm pretty sure it's got a cone filter and flows more cnc
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I had similar AEM intake in my old Evo X. I changed it to the AGP CAI after a few months.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
High volume cone filter inside.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Looks good, I never seen that intake on a Coyote... Now u gotta get rid of that tapeworm to compliment the look!! Is that a "no tune" intake?
Yea no tune needed but its Bama tuned anyways. The tapeworm is the only means audible delight within the cabin, but yea kinda hideous.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol don't make him feel bad. I'm pretty sure it's got a cone filter and flows more cnc
Nah My feelings are definitely not hurt lol its actually a pretty sweet intake. Like i said im getting factory air box inlet temperatures with higher flow volume to boot. But yea theres a giant oval shaped cone filter within the box with a flow meter dial on the outside to tell u when the filter needs cleaning. Its actually a pretty big box too with plenty of room around the filter to inhale from every angle.

I tested it with the top off but inlet temperatures SOARED to over 130 degrees at idle and not much lower when driving. This was on a 70 degree day and the car felt like a slug. Needless to say the it remains sealed from now on.

Another reason i like the intake is because no one seems to have it. I can open up my hood at a mustang meet and odds are good my setup will be unique.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another reason i like the intake is because no one seems to have it. I can open up my hood at a mustang meet and odds are good my setup will be unique.
Not any more... Lol!!!
SystemCritical is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai