Data logging help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Data logging help

Ok. So from what I've read is you have to download a program to your computer first to even data log. What is the website. I've been to sct and could find it and have been to vmp's website. A little help fellow members. Also. I searched and found a old thread with a website. Copied and pasted the website and it wouldn't open. So now I'm confused a little. Thanks in advance.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Google SCT livelink and you'll find the SCT web link.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yeah you will have to go to the SCT device you got and as you click you will see it. Good luck. I have done many but a heads up....Do you have a good laptop?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh. Decent?? Lol. It's was a good one back in 2010.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Ugh. Decent?? Lol. It's was a good one back in 2010.
Not apple right? If it's 2010 you should be ok unless it's a junker. It's at least a dual processor?? Are you DL for your tuner? Have you already found which PID's to log for him? Just thinking
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 10-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Not apple right? If it's 2010 you should be ok unless it's a junker. It's at least a dual processor?? Are you DL for your tuner? Have you already found which PID's to log for him? Just thinking
Just lost me brother..lol have a Dual processor. Yes. Data logging for tuner, yes. Don't know what pid's are.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Just lost me brother..lol have a Dual processor. Yes. Data logging for tuner, yes. Don't know what pid's are.
Back n a stang, could you do a basic write up on stuff needed to do data logging? I'm just as lost to what a pid is
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
you need a tuner box (like SCT) or a device like a dashhawk. If you have a device you can datalog directly and watch the results. With a tuner you need to select the things you want to log (that's what PIDs are "parameter identification")

You datalog, upload to laptop, send to your tuner and he/she makes the necessary changes.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm no Guru about tuning, but I know you need a decent laptop and you need to download livelink. Once you are in car you will follow the instructions. You tuner will be plugged up to OBDII port and a USB from tuner to laptop. The one end of USB looks like one for a printer. You guys and average person who has SCT, Laptop have all this.
As for PID's it means(Proportional, integral, derivative) What I was asking in layman terms is did your tuner tell you what all he wanted you to (X) select for the log? I just know that unless SCT has got better with it, which I am sure they have, if you select to many things to monitor (log or record) it will hiccup or just simply not record something that you selected. I had all types of issues with it couple years ago. I've had 5 laptops in my car and one brand new one over this...LOL! Had me nuts and I felt like I had a Damn NSA program in my car. It's really not hard or that big a deal and you guys should have no trouble. What my exp. amounted to was helping SCT work out some bugs on there end. They have been really good to me at SCT though and have always got good results with issues. Talking about things other than data logging as well.
Anyway fellows I haven't done any logging in a long time so I would say it will go smooth. I do seem to think selecting no more than necessary at a time makes for best results. Your tuner is probably very aware of Livelinks current abilities. GL and keep us posted of results.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
you need a tuner box (like SCT) or a device like a dashhawk. If you have a device you can datalog directly and watch the results. With a tuner you need to select the things you want to log (that's what PIDs are "parameter identification")

You datalog, upload to laptop, send to your tuner and he/she makes the necessary changes.
Yeah Livelink is better than most other remote options. The consistency/speed make it more accurate and you get the whole constant recording for the period of it.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

PID mean Parameter Identification, always has, since OBD II was introduced.

Here's a list of all the other OBD II acronyms in common use:

OBD-II Acronyms and Jargon

People talk in jargon and it's good to have a dictionary on hand in this biz. I teach munchkins automotive tech and this is a big part of it these days.

Datalogging is straightforward enough, no matter what you use. Just pick the PIDs you want, generally I pick to start (on an N/A car) commanded and actual AFR, RPM and knock sensor value. Don't pick too many at once, even if your interface can handle it, as the graph gets very busy, quickly

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok. Well here is my deal. My tune drastically changed my mpg's. Which shouldn't have that much. So I'm going to data log so I can send in for a revise. I have a sct device.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
PID mean Parameter Identification, always has, since OBD II was introduced. Here's a list of all the other OBD II acronyms in common use: OBD-II Acronyms and Jargon People talk in jargon and it's good to have a dictionary on hand in this biz. I teach munchkins automotive tech and this is a big part of it these days. Datalogging is straightforward enough, no matter what you use. Just pick the PIDs you want, generally I pick to start (on an N/A car) commanded and actual AFR, RPM and knock sensor value. Don't pick too many at once, even if your interface can handle it, as the graph gets very busy, quickly
Having son trouble here guys. Guess I'm one of those people that don't really get this computer stuff. I'm here. But can't seem to find anything on afr, rpm, and knock sensor value.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2227846171.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	134062  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

email sent on the datalogging process.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Having son trouble here guys. Guess I'm one of those people that don't really get this computer stuff. I'm here. But can't seem to find anything on afr, rpm, and knock sensor value.
Very hard to read this, maybe I'm getting old. What software is this and what device? is it possible you aren't up to date on the latest software revision and you're just getting very basic PIDs?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very hard to read this, maybe I'm getting old. What software is this and what device? is it possible you aren't up to date on the latest software revision and you're just getting very basic PIDs?
Sorry. Looks really clear from my phone. But I can zoom in on it. So that's why. But jayman hooked me up. Sent me a link with everything I needed to log for vmp to set me straight. Just emailed them my stuff. And although I'm not certain (got pissed and pretty much clicked everything on the screen yesterday). It might not have been up to date. But I plugged in my tuner to the PC like regular earlier last week and it said that it was. Maybe it wasn't up to date for the data logging?? Idk. Anyways. Thanks guys. And especially jayman for emailing me exactly what I needed. Hopefully vmp with haven't revised tune soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT