Rear End Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rear End Noise

Hey there i was wondering if anyone had any idea of what my problem could me.

Here it goes, whenever i go over bumps a certain way the rear right end makes a banging sound no matter what i do, of course i have to being going at a higher speed limit like 10 kms over or more. When i go the speed limit it doesn't do it. I've taken it to ford and they replaced a rear linkage or some sort (It's been awhile since i can remember) and that stopped the squeeking in the rear end but hasn't stopped the banging. I figure it must be the suspension as it only happens when i hit bumps and when the shocks and springs compress, but tonight i had to slam on my brakes as an idiot cut me off and it was like the ABS kicked in and was banging as it does what it does. I've looked underneath and everything looks fine and it's only coming from the rear passenger side. I can feel the bang from inside the cab easily.

If anyone has any idea what it could be or has ran into the same problem that would be greatly appreciated as i will be taking it into ford for the second time now. Thanks!
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had a similar thing on my 96 SVT Cobra. I had my mechanic check the rear suspension and they couldn't find anything. It got worse. I took it back and they found a loose mount on the rear sway bar. Also check that your spare tire, jack, etc are secured tight. Other than that see if you can get it on a lift and push, pull, or even tap on components with a rubber mallett. If you can't do that try jack stands. Any chance it's coming from the flip down rear seats? A speaker or Mach 460-1000 Amp?

That should give you plenty to look at. Oh almost forgot loose exhaust hangers?

Good luck, keep us posted.

One radical thing a guy posted was he had a friend ride in the trunk trying to isolate the sound.

Have someone squat low by a speed bump when you go over it and watch and listen.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It defineately sounds like it's undercarriage, I was thinking maybe the exhaust piping loose that goes over the rear axle but i would probably here it flapping around if it was that loose. Other friends think it's the exhaust but I'm sure it's gotto be suspension cause it only does it on that corner and it only happens when i hit bumps. The 5.0s don't come with spares just a tire pump and tire sealant can, that's bolted down. I'm pretty sure it's not the seat either or speakers you can feel it through the floor for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My loose sway bar had my guys stumped for awhile. Check that, also if you have a panhard bar or look at the upper and lower control arms. Could be a shock going bad. The outer tube hitting the inner. But sounds more substantial than that.

I missed the part about the high speed so skip the part about the friend in trunk or speed bump, lol.
perhaps friend in rear seat could feel it and help pin it down. At least you know it's on one side.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think when i had taken it in it was something about the panhard and a control arm. But after like i said it stopped squeeking but still makes a bad bang.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it listens to Ricky Martin "She Bangs". Bad joke
Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
I had a similar thing on my 96 SVT Cobra. I had my mechanic check the rear suspension and they couldn't find anything. It got worse. I took it back and they found a loose mount on the rear sway bar. Also check that your spare tire, jack, etc are secured tight. Other than that see if you can get it on a lift and push, pull, or even tap on components with a rubber mallett. If you can't do that try jack stands. Any chance it's coming from the flip down rear seats? A speaker or Mach 460-1000 Amp?

That should give you plenty to look at. Oh almost forgot loose exhaust hangers?

Good luck, keep us posted.

One radical thing a guy posted was he had a friend ride in the trunk trying to isolate the sound.

Have someone squat low by a speed bump when you go over it and watch and listen.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.
Definitely sounds like something is loose. Worked on a car in high school that had a similar complaint that no shop could fix or figure out. Rubber mallet with some keen eyes(experienced shop teacher) helped us find a loose sway bar if I remember correctly. The suspension can easily hide issues when Jay sitting still.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Maybe it listens to Ricky Martin "She Bangs". Bad joke
Dude 1997 called, it wants it's joke back! Lmao!!!!!
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

take a look for witness marks on the frame where the bump stops might be hitting it. That'll make a sound like you describe.

Dead blow hammer is your friend here, too, like has been mentioned.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
+1 for sway bar, mine was banging before I replaced it, I found it by hitting it by hand around all 4 links and you can tell when they are solid and when there is play in it, had to hit it pretty hard though
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the dealer found it was the sway bar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT