Bama tune octane question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Bama tune octane question

I've asked this before but have lost the answer.
Is an 87 octane Bama tune beneficial cost/performance wise over the factory tune using 93 octane ?
Thanks.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yes

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Factory tune with 93 serves no purpose it's just wasting money really.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sure does. I tune for 93. Not that much more for better quality gas going into your car.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Yes

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Factory tune with 93 serves no purpose it's just wasting money really.
Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?[COLOR="Silver"]
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you wanted to save money on gas with 87 octane you should have bought a Honda.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?
Not to mention if anyone is worried about wasting the extra $5. Why in Gods name would anyone buy a GT. If wasting money on premium fuel is a concern then buy a V6.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?[COLOR="Silver"]
What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty.

Directly from the 2012 manual
Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

And directly from the 2014 manual
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with
octane posted on pump below 87.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post

What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty.

Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

I stand corrected. I would never give false info on purpose. I'm one who read all my vehicle owners manuals and I thought my GT manual said high octane. When in fact it was my motorcycles manual that stated minimum of 91.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The motor defiantly runs better with 93 octane on a stock tune. I do run 87 in winter and have had no problems.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Your engines will advance timing when it detects higher octane fuel, it will make more power with a factory tune but tuning is where the true advantage of running higher octane lies. Putting higher octane like 93 is not a waste and does hold some benefits like making more power. Running 87 will not harm the engine.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You left out the next sentence which says running premium will improve performance. Yes regular is recommended, but premium gives better performance. It's an 8 hp increase between regular and premium.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

You left out the next sentence which says running premium will improve performance. Yes regular is recommended, but premium gives better performance. It's an 8 hp increase between regular and premium.
Lol, you beat me too it. Lol. Correct sir!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty. Directly from the 2012 manual Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. And directly from the 2014 manual Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with octane posted on pump below 87.
The 5.0 makes more power with 93 compared to 87, without even a tune.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lol, you beat me too it. Lol. Correct sir!
he beat me to, I only use 89 or higher in mine.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I run 89 octane and have no issues.
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
If you wanted to save money on gas with 87 octane you should have bought a Honda.

Ha Ha Ha!!!! Excellent point!!!
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
he beat me to, I only use 89 or higher in mine.
I've had issues running 87 in mine. Just seems to want to stall down low and doesn't seem to have any kind of get up and go & what feels like surging at times. Only worked well for a long drive back home constant 70-75mph. In my experience, I'd stick with 93 of you're doing anything but long distance highway driving.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
I've had issues running 87 in mine. Just seems to want to stall down low and doesn't seem to have any kind of get up and go & what feels like surging at times. Only worked well for a long drive back home constant 70-75mph. In my experience, I'd stick with 93 of you're doing anything but long distance highway driving.
I stay away from 87, 89 or higher, no lower than 89
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I stay away from 87, 89 or higher, no lower than 89
Sorry yea that's what i meant. Stick to 91/93. Switching back and forth its a bad idea also.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry yea that's what i meant. Stick to 91/93. Switching back and forth its a bad idea also.
I've been doing 89 for 3 pill ups, 93 for 1, when gas is up in price, when it's low-ish for here, 93,93 etc
Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been doing 89 for 3 pill ups, 93 for 1, when gas is up in price, when it's low-ish for here, 93,93 etc
I went from 93 to 87. Had all kinds the issues then.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went from 93 to 87. Had all kinds the issues then.
I don't think your ever supposed to go up it down more than 1 grade of gas at a time. So that's probably why
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think your ever supposed to go up it down more than 1 grade of gas at a time. So that's probably why
But aren't you?!
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

But aren't you?!
I don't know about that. Then again I've never seen another engine other than the coyote rated for the 87 and 93 octane. I would assume the ecm would adjust for the change in octane, but I'm not sure how long that takes.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
But aren't you?!
no, I'm not going MORE than 1 grade if gas, I'm going up or down 1 grade, from 89 to 93 and back, I wouldn't knowingly run 87 to 93, or 93 to 87
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no, I'm not going MORE than 1 grade if gas, I'm going up or down 1 grade, from 89 to 93 and back, I wouldn't knowingly run 87 to 93, or 93 to 87
Can you tell the difference between the grades of gas?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you tell the difference between the grades of gas?
not really, the engine does seem a little more live at 93 octane, other than that, and the HP max of 420, no.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
So for roughly 5 bucks more every fill up you get 8 more hp... That's good bang for your buck right there!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
O ok
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your engines will advance timing when it detects higher octane fuel, it will make more power with a factory tune but tuning is where the true advantage of running higher octane lies. Putting higher octane like 93 is not a waste and does hold some benefits like making more power. Running 87 will not harm the engine.
Dead on. Nicely said..
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can run a tank of 87 down, fill up with 93/91, whatever is in your area. Your car will just advance or ****** timing depending on what grade you putting in.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post

Dead on. Nicely said..
That I agree with, but what is in question is switching between 87 and 93 and vice versa from tank to tank of gas. Is that a bad idea?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I've asked this before but have lost the answer.
Is an 87 octane Bama tune beneficial cost/performance wise over the factory tune using 93 octane ?
Thanks.
Yes. A Mustang with a 87 Bama tune installed, will make more power than a Mustang with a factory tune and 93 Octane. You'll also notice more torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response, shift points (if auto) and much more over your stock tune!

I always run 93 octane in my car, even when I was stock. If you're looking for the most beneficial gains, I would recommend running a Bama 93 Race tune! This is going to be the most powerful and aggressive tune that we offer.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or you can give the Bama team a call and they'll gladly hook you up. You can reach them at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
These guys mix different octane gas on purpose.

Code Red Shelby!!!
http://youtu.be/tDHX9GQwQcE
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+2
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT