Bama tune octane question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 73
Bama tune octane question

I've asked this before but have lost the answer.
Is an 87 octane Bama tune beneficial cost/performance wise over the factory tune using 93 octane ?
Thanks.
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
1lowGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3,903
Yes

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Factory tune with 93 serves no purpose it's just wasting money really.
__________________
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Sure does. I tune for 93. Not that much more for better quality gas going into your car.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
Yes

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Factory tune with 93 serves no purpose it's just wasting money really.
Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?[COLOR="Silver"]
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
If you wanted to save money on gas with 87 octane you should have bought a Honda.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?
Not to mention if anyone is worried about wasting the extra $5. Why in Gods name would anyone buy a GT. If wasting money on premium fuel is a concern then buy a V6.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cornelius
Region: Oregon
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Read your owners manual. Ford recommends high octane in the coyotes. Most likely nothing will happen running 87 but if it does and the root cause was low 87 octane kiss your warrantee good bye. But, then it really does not matter seeing how the car is tuned. So the above would be for someone who does not have a tune and runs 87. FYI You are only saving about $5 on every fill up using 87. That is if you fill up at the 50 mile low fuel warning. Is the $5 savings really worth any future problems or a possible sluggish running motor?[COLOR="Silver"]
What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty.

Directly from the 2012 manual
Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

And directly from the 2014 manual
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with
octane posted on pump below 87.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post

What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty.

Directly from the 2012 manual
Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

And directly from the 2014 manual
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with
octane posted on pump below 87.
I stand corrected. I would never give false info on purpose. I'm one who read all my vehicle owners manuals and I thought my GT manual said high octane. When in fact it was my motorcycles manual that stated minimum of 91.[COLOR="Silver"]
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
The motor defiantly runs better with 93 octane on a stock tune. I do run 87 in winter and have had no problems.
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Your engines will advance timing when it detects higher octane fuel, it will make more power with a factory tune but tuning is where the true advantage of running higher octane lies. Putting higher octane like 93 is not a waste and does hold some benefits like making more power. Running 87 will not harm the engine.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post

What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty.

Directly from the 2012 manual
Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

And directly from the 2014 manual
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with
octane posted on pump below 87.
You left out the next sentence which says running premium will improve performance. Yes regular is recommended, but premium gives better performance. It's an 8 hp increase between regular and premium.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

You left out the next sentence which says running premium will improve performance. Yes regular is recommended, but premium gives better performance. It's an 8 hp increase between regular and premium.
Lol, you beat me too it. Lol. Correct sir!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by skramblr View Post
What manual are you reading? Ford recommends 87 Octane. Please don't give out inaccurate advice. It will not void your warranty. Directly from the 2012 manual Octane recommendations “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. And directly from the 2014 manual Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Do not use fuels with octane posted on pump below 87.
The 5.0 makes more power with 93 compared to 87, without even a tune.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lol, you beat me too it. Lol. Correct sir!
he beat me to, I only use 89 or higher in mine.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
wstefek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yorkville
Region: Illinois
Posts: 40
I run 89 octane and have no issues.
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
JDM
Registered Member
Regular
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beaumont
Region: Texas
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
If you wanted to save money on gas with 87 octane you should have bought a Honda.

Ha Ha Ha!!!! Excellent point!!!
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
he beat me to, I only use 89 or higher in mine.
I've had issues running 87 in mine. Just seems to want to stall down low and doesn't seem to have any kind of get up and go & what feels like surging at times. Only worked well for a long drive back home constant 70-75mph. In my experience, I'd stick with 93 of you're doing anything but long distance highway driving.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
I've had issues running 87 in mine. Just seems to want to stall down low and doesn't seem to have any kind of get up and go & what feels like surging at times. Only worked well for a long drive back home constant 70-75mph. In my experience, I'd stick with 93 of you're doing anything but long distance highway driving.
I stay away from 87, 89 or higher, no lower than 89
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I stay away from 87, 89 or higher, no lower than 89
Sorry yea that's what i meant. Stick to 91/93. Switching back and forth its a bad idea also.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
Sorry yea that's what i meant. Stick to 91/93. Switching back and forth its a bad idea also.
I've been doing 89 for 3 pill ups, 93 for 1, when gas is up in price, when it's low-ish for here, 93,93 etc
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I've been doing 89 for 3 pill ups, 93 for 1, when gas is up in price, when it's low-ish for here, 93,93 etc
I went from 93 to 87. Had all kinds the issues then.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
I went from 93 to 87. Had all kinds the issues then.
I don't think your ever supposed to go up it down more than 1 grade of gas at a time. So that's probably why
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I don't think your ever supposed to go up it down more than 1 grade of gas at a time. So that's probably why
But aren't you?!
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post

But aren't you?!
I don't know about that. Then again I've never seen another engine other than the coyote rated for the 87 and 93 octane. I would assume the ecm would adjust for the change in octane, but I'm not sure how long that takes.
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
But aren't you?!
no, I'm not going MORE than 1 grade if gas, I'm going up or down 1 grade, from 89 to 93 and back, I wouldn't knowingly run 87 to 93, or 93 to 87
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
no, I'm not going MORE than 1 grade if gas, I'm going up or down 1 grade, from 89 to 93 and back, I wouldn't knowingly run 87 to 93, or 93 to 87
Can you tell the difference between the grades of gas?
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
Can you tell the difference between the grades of gas?
not really, the engine does seem a little more live at 93 octane, other than that, and the HP max of 420, no.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
You left out the next sentence which says running premium will improve performance. Yes regular is recommended, but premium gives better performance. It's an 8 hp increase between regular and premium.
So for roughly 5 bucks more every fill up you get 8 more hp... That's good bang for your buck right there!
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
no, I'm not going MORE than 1 grade if gas, I'm going up or down 1 grade, from 89 to 93 and back, I wouldn't knowingly run 87 to 93, or 93 to 87
O ok
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Your engines will advance timing when it detects higher octane fuel, it will make more power with a factory tune but tuning is where the true advantage of running higher octane lies. Putting higher octane like 93 is not a waste and does hold some benefits like making more power. Running 87 will not harm the engine.
Dead on. Nicely said..
2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I don't think your ever supposed to go up it down more than 1 grade of gas at a time. So that's probably why
You can run a tank of 87 down, fill up with 93/91, whatever is in your area. Your car will just advance or ****** timing depending on what grade you putting in.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 View Post

Dead on. Nicely said..
That I agree with, but what is in question is switching between 87 and 93 and vice versa from tank to tank of gas. Is that a bad idea?
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
I've asked this before but have lost the answer.
Is an 87 octane Bama tune beneficial cost/performance wise over the factory tune using 93 octane ?
Thanks.
Yes. A Mustang with a 87 Bama tune installed, will make more power than a Mustang with a factory tune and 93 Octane. You'll also notice more torque, acceleration, drive ability, gas mileage, throttle response, shift points (if auto) and much more over your stock tune!

I always run 93 octane in my car, even when I was stock. If you're looking for the most beneficial gains, I would recommend running a Bama 93 Race tune! This is going to be the most powerful and aggressive tune that we offer.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or you can give the Bama team a call and they'll gladly hook you up. You can reach them at the contact information in my signature!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
These guys mix different octane gas on purpose.

Code Red Shelby!!!
http://youtu.be/tDHX9GQwQcE
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
JDM
Registered Member
Regular
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beaumont
Region: Texas
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Your engines will advance timing when it detects higher octane fuel, it will make more power with a factory tune but tuning is where the true advantage of running higher octane lies. Putting higher octane like 93 is not a waste and does hold some benefits like making more power. Running 87 will not harm the engine.
+2
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.