First oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: California
First oil change

I have a 2013 GT with the track pack .... I got my first oil change at the dealer today....they put 5w20 in the car ....Even though my cap said 5w50 which has been covered by a billet cap lol... The tech said all new GT's get 5w20 , he even went to the parts counter and they told him 5w20 according to my VIn....what do up guys think ??
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
I have a 2013 GT with the track pack .... I got my first oil change at the dealer today....they put 5w20 in the car ....Even though my cap said 5w50 which has been covered by a billet cap lol... The tech said all new GT's get 5w20 , he even went to the parts counter and they told him 5w20 according to my VIn....what do up guys think ??
This has been debated several times. They recommend 5w50 for track pack cars bc it's assumed that it'll take more abuse. You'll be fine with 5w20
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would make them change it again, I take whatever the cap says very seriously
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I would make them change it again, I take whatever the cap says very seriously
well the dealer did change the oil so if anything happens they are at fault
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I would slap the dealer lol they of all people should NOT do that. The car works ok with 5w20. 5w30 is way better.

I have a track pack like you. To stay as close to spec as possible I switched to 10w40 royal purple high performance street.

You can always go to 5w30 royal purple hps. They prob put motor craft on your car which is the ****tiest oil cause alot of sheering in ur engine.

If you can read my threads on oil. There's a nice link to testing that has been done on all oils.

It's either amzoil or RP. Everything else is garbage. Also the only reason our cars take 5w50 is because they assume we will track the car, which if u don't then u really don't need a viscosity like that. 5w30 is just fine. I'm just paranoid lol and don't forget our cars take 8.5 quarts not 8
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

It's either amzoil or RP. Everything else is garbage.
Bold statement. Redline is great oil as well.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post

Bold statement. Redline is great oil as well.
Good, but not as good as the other two I mentioned. Atleast according to the various studies I've read. And believe me I read for 40 hours before changing my oil lol I have issues and I'm paranoid, only want the absolute best for me ride
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:

Good, but not as good as the other two I mentioned. Atleast according to the various studies I've read. And believe me I read for 40 hours before changing my oil lol I have issues and I'm paranoid, only want the absolute best for me ride
You would be fine with motorcraft full synthetic as well. Pretty much any synthetic will be fine unless you plan on 10,000 miles oil change increments.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Road Trip!

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Road Trip!

So I checked my owners manual and it calls for a full synthetic blend of 5w50 since I have the track package.....I called the dealer and let the service manager know the situation..he's going to research it and call me back......maybe it will blow up and I can get a Boss or something lol....
Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When I got my 11 GT new, Coyotes were still a new thing, I took it to the dealer for the complimentary oil change and they put in 6 qts of oil... I was just pissed and never let anybody but me change the oil after... They just go by a certain protocol and I doubt they even checked the level, at least I noticed b4 I took off... But yea I would bring it back to them ASAP and put what's recommended
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
When I got my 11 GT new, Coyotes were still a new thing, I took it to the dealer for the complimentary oil change and they put in 6 qts of oil... I was just pissed and never let anybody but me change the oil after... They just go by a certain protocol and I doubt they even checked the level, at least I noticed b4 I took off... But yea I would bring it back to them ASAP and put what's recommended
He put in eight quarts and showed me the reading so that was good....what pisses me off is that I told them what it needed and they still effed it up....so I figured well the dealer should know what's best right ....wrong..... The service manager called me back and asked me if I have a Shelby lmao .....because that's the only Stang that comes with 5w50 .....smh....he's calling Detroit tomorrow to confirm what I'm telling him....wow...
Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
He put in eight quarts and showed me the reading so that was good....what pisses me off is that I told them what it needed and they still effed it up....so I figured well the dealer should know what's best right ....wrong..... The service manager called me back and asked me if I have a Shelby lmao .....because that's the only Stang that comes with 5w50 .....smh....he's calling Detroit tomorrow to confirm what I'm telling him....wow...
That's ridiculous man, if they sell track pack GT's, they should know the right oil to put in... A Shelby, really, that really makes me wonder about the dealer, tell him to look at the trunk for Shelby lettering, you'll probably confuse him.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol I think your billet cap is what screwed everything up!! Honestly anyone can make that mistake, the rule of thumb is to add 5w20 on a modern new car
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

This is why I change my own oil.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yea so do I, I've worked at a jiffy lube thru high school for like 7 years and I just feel no one would take the proper precautions like let most the oil out, wipe the area with excess oil, not over tighten plug, etc. whenever I do my own change, it's my bonding time with the car and I make sure everthing is done impeccably
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
What's the owner's manual say? Oil filler caps are generic and knowing the engine is assembled in the same plant where the F150 engines are built, there's no guarantee the correct cap was put on the car. However, if your VIN has a call out for that grade oil, then there's your answer. Does the door jam sticker list the grade?
MMVEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yea so do I, I've worked at a jiffy lube thru high school for like 7 years and I just feel no one would take the proper precautions like let most the oil out, wipe the area with excess oil, not over tighten plug, etc. whenever I do my own change, it's my bonding time with the car and I make sure everthing is done impeccably
Don't even get me started on over tightening the plug. Our minivan got taken in for an oil change before. The next time we did it ourselves (first time I changed a cars oil) and me and my dad for the life of us could not get that plug out. They torqued it so ****ing hard that we stripped the **** out of it when taking it off.

HID end all thread
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Amen!!!! Don't let them touch ur ride again!!!! Do it urself so u knw it's done right!!! And ditto the amsoil or royal purple. I've read a lot of good stuff bout redline as well. Bottom line is those 3 are in a totally different league than motorcraft (yes even their so-called FULL synthetic). Their full synthetic is like high school AA football vs professional NFL football. Their both football but in totally different leagues!
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
Amen!!!! Don't let them touch ur ride again!!!! Do it urself so u knw it's done right!!! And ditto the amsoil or royal purple. I've read a lot of good stuff bout redline as well. Bottom line is those 3 are in a totally different league than motorcraft (yes even their so-called FULL synthetic). Their full synthetic is like high school AA football vs professional NFL football. Their both football but in totally different leagues!
I've always used Mobile 1 Synthetic and it works great.

HID end all thread
Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Lol I think your billet cap is what screwed everything up!! Honestly anyone can make that mistake, the rule of thumb is to add 5w20 on a modern new car
I know huh stupid billet chrome ...me and my love for chrome lol...

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
It was complimentary so I let them do it ...who knew huh ??? I can change it myself but the thought of laying under the car doesn't go over well with me....I have a little **** Jack but my cousin has a nice size one I can borrow....

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
What's the owner's manual say? Oil filler caps are generic and knowing the engine is assembled in the same plant where the F150 engines are built, there's no guarantee the correct cap was put on the car. However, if your VIN has a call out for that grade oil, then there's your answer. Does the door jam sticker list the grade?

Owners manual is generic ...but it says 5.0 liter with track pack takes 5w50 full synthetic ...page 297 lol...
Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Rhino ramps are your best friend when it comes to changing oil, no guess work on lifting points and safety stand points, plus your wheels technically don't leave the ground... Best of both worlds!!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Rhino ramps are your best friend when it comes to changing oil, no guess work on lifting points and safety stand points, plus your wheels technically don't leave the ground... Best of both worlds!!
Rhino ramps, what are those?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Those look sweet and amazon has them for like forty bucks..I'm going to have to order those...
Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know huh stupid billet chrome ...me and my love for chrome lol... ---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ---------- It was complimentary so I let them do it ...who knew huh ??? I can change it myself but the thought of laying under the car doesn't go over well with me....I have a little **** Jack but my cousin has a nice size one I can borrow.... ---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ---------- Owners manual is generic ...but it says 5.0 liter with track pack takes 5w50 full synthetic ...page 297 lol...
Stick with the owners manual--you have something in writing telling you what's recommended. As for changing your own oil, now that the dealer did the first service, I'd start doing it on your own. You can take your time and get a chance to look at the underbody thoroughly every few months. Plus you know what's going in and that the right amount of oil is being replaced. You also get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Think of doing your own maintenance as touching a woman--not just any chick, but YOUR woman. Do you want some other dude putting his hands on your lady? Not me....
Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

This thread proves you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Oh well.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
This thread proves you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Oh well.
I should of read your thread first Darkside
Old 10-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I should of read your thread first Darkside
Just tryen to help bud. People will give you their opinions, what you need is the facts. Nothing more.
Good luck
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
The high end Amsoil and all Redline are true synthetics. The purple stuff is refined from dino crude ground oil....? But it is purple...
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
The high end Amsoil and all Redline are true synthetics. The purple stuff is refined from dino crude ground oil....? But it is purple...
You can add Mobil 1 to that list. As far as 'testing' goes, I've actually done the testing following the ASTM procedure and we used certified test apparatus...no matter what anyone tells you, Mobil 1 is one of the top three synthetics especially for the price.

The purple stuff is nice cause of the color I guess...
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMVEC View Post
You can add Mobil 1 to that list. As far as 'testing' goes, I've actually done the testing following the ASTM procedure and we used certified test apparatus...no matter what anyone tells you, Mobil 1 is one of the top three synthetics especially for the price.
Not all of Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, only the extended performance. The rest is not.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Not all of Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, only the extended performance. The rest is not.
I use the extended performance, how close to a true synthetic would u say that is??
Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I use the extended performance, how close to a true synthetic would u say that is??
Very close and for the money a good choice. How much are you paying per quart?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, you're completely right...the extended performance is also approved for use by Audi/VW and other foreign brands for performance and quality .
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very close and for the money a good choice. How much are you paying per quart?
At Walmart I got the 5 qt jug for like $29 and then 3 single qts for about $7.50 a piece... I only do about 3-5k a year driving, so as a rule of thumb I change once a year

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT