MT-82 Fluid swap today and... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
MT-82 Fluid swap today and...

LSS, I done the fluid swap to Amsoil MTF and had a accidental mess but still had enough to do it think goodness. Don't even want to talk about it. I cussed and pitched a **** fit but I'm cool.
I had 3 quarts and it holds 2.7. After measuring what came out it was about 2.5 to 2.6 but the other little bit just probably stayed in. Car was a Tad higher in back than it was front.
For those who have done it.....Has anybody bent a 90* on (I used a Q-tip..LOL) whatever you used to stick in and see how far down from bottom of the fill plug to the oil level when you finished?????? I have heard a few say they were about 1/2" from bottom of fill plug and were certain that they had it right. I assume some have checked before draining too so it probably is right. Mine is that or 3/4" at most.
I am very impressed so far but I will know after cranking and driving off on a cool morning without letting it warm up. I had that little crunch into 2nd and little into third until tranny got warm. The MGW is great but not for that problem. I put it off for a long ,long time to see what people found to work the best.
Anybody thinking of doing it and need a good low profile hex bit in 3/8" drive or a set let me know. Have low profile of the 1/4" drive to. The fill and drain are both 8mm. The drain is not a problem but the fill is a tight area. I am including pic's of what is Ideal for you if you are thinking of doing it. I am a tool man for a living so I have a truck full of tools. Mobile automotive tool man. Not a for sale thread or nothing really. Just offering the guys a place to get things easy. Lifetime warranty as well. Just send it to me and I will send you new one. Doubt you ever broke this but just talking about other possible tools.
I recommend using 3/8 drive if it's never been out. Tight from factory, but they only recommend 26 FT. LBS on tighting back up. Not a lot.

The blue box is a 1/4" Dr. metric set. I have the 3/8" in Metric sets too. Should have took a pic of that set too. These are nice low profile/stubby. I can do individual 8mm Hex in either size Drive, individual or sets as I said. Of course sets are always cheaper way to go if you gonna end up needing several sizes. Thin head 3/8 drive ratchets are sweet to. especially in mid length.
Anyway, has anybody checked the level as I mentioned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	853.4 KB
ID:	134714   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	134716  

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	134717   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	134718  

2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
From my understanding. The car should be level and the fluid should come to the bottom of the fill hole. And that should be exactly 2.7. There's no way to over fill it. I've checked mine a few times and it's always right there at the bottom. Has not ever changed.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Since one can't put their finger in the fill hole, what's the best way of checking fluid in between? If low or not? I added 2.7 in but not even my pinky fits in the fill
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have read elsewhere that it should be about 1/2" below fill plug......Just pull the plug and bend a 90* on whatever you feel safe with using to get a check. I used a Q-tip. I first cut up a clothes hanger but it was hard to read before it run on it. Q-tip worked good. Filling all the way flush to bottom of fill plug I understand is to much and warns to not overfill. If it warns not to overfill and you go till it runs out fill hole how would ya overfill?? I figured I would see where others people level was at. My car was very close to complete level. It may have 2.6 back in but I do not think it is or would be a issue.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I have read elsewhere that it should be about 1/2" below fill plug......Just pull the plug and bend a 90* on whatever you feel safe with using to get a check. I used a Q-tip. I first cut up a clothes hanger but it was hard to read before it run on it. Q-tip worked good. Filling all the way flush to bottom of fill plug I understand is to much and warns to not overfill. If it warns not to overfill and you go till it runs out fill hole how would ya overfill?? I figured I would see where others people level was at. My car was very close to complete level. It may have 2.6 back in but I do not think it is or would be a issue.
Yea I'm about the same level but I could possible be a hair lower, I'd rather underfill by a hair than overfill.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea I'm about the same level but I could possible be a hair lower, I'd rather underfill by a hair than overfill.
ME TOO! You checked yours? That's where it should be according to several others I talked to now.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ME TOO! You checked yours? That's where it should be according to several others I talked to now.
Honestly I didn't, I just drained on level surface (a lift) and added about 2.7 qts like the manual specified for the GT. I tried to put my pinky thru the fill with no luck, it didn't occur to me to use something to slide in to check the level since I added the correct amount... But, it was done back in April, so if like to check the fluid and make sure I still have enough
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly I didn't, I just drained on level surface (a lift) and added about 2.7 qts like the manual specified for the GT. I tried to put my pinky thru the fill with no luck, it didn't occur to me to use something to slide in to check the level since I added the correct amount... But, it was done back in April, so if like to check the fluid and make sure I still have enough
gtstyles,
If you do it sometime let me know where you are at too. I just read another board where a guy says he's about 1/2" also. That's 3
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Since one can't put their finger in the fill hole, what's the best way of checking fluid in between? If low or not? I added 2.7 in but not even my pinky fits in the fill
bent pipe cleaner....the fluid leaves a real visible mark on it (as opposed to a piece of wire)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't think you could overfill because if you do it'll just run right back out the fill hole?
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
I didn't think you could overfill because if you do it'll just run right back out the fill hole?
If u check the manual, u will see what were talking about
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

This is what we mean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-108303285.png
Views:	274
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	134804  
Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I Cranked my car at 5:30 this morning and pulled right off so I could see if it really helped. It's the heat for the fix!! No Doubt about it. No notchiness at all.

Thanks for posting that GTstyles. Clears all the debate up for good on that.

Here is more options for those doing this who are doing the fix and may need something..... These type you can put on the box end of a combo wrench or gearwrench. Gets in real tight places with Low profile options like today. The second pic is of torx made same as the Hex. Just some options in case you guys ever need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	134809   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	988.9 KB
ID:	134810  

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is what we mean
Man, they couldn't make that convenient for us could they?
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I Cranked my car at 5:30 this morning and pulled right off so I could see if it really helped. It's the heat for the fix!! No Doubt about it. No notchiness at all. Thanks for posting that GTstyles. Clears all the debate up for good on that. Here is more options for those doing this who are doing the fix and may need something..... These type you can put on the box end of a combo wrench or gearwrench. Gets in real tight places with Low profile options like today. The second pic is of torx made same as the Hex. Just some options in case you guys ever need.
No problem!! The notchiness will actually still be there when it get blistering cold under 30 degrees... But were still helping the trans as much as possible, trans only warms up by driving forward... After I changed my fluid, even in freezing weather, I just go around the block shifting at around 1.5k rpms and at around the 3rd stop, the notchiness goes away completely then it's like a hot knife thru butter
Old 11-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem!! The notchiness will actually still be there when it get blistering cold under 30 degrees... But were still helping the trans as much as possible, trans only warms up by driving forward... After I changed my fluid, even in freezing weather, I just go around the block shifting at around 1.5k rpms and at around the 3rd stop, the notchiness goes away completely then it's like a hot knife thru butter
Before when it was real cold I would let all the traffic coming go by so when I pull out nobody is on my ***. I would even shift 1 to 3 to 5 down the long road in one direction. By time I got to the end the car was much warmer and things were up to temp almost. As good as it felt this morning which wasn't like cold but cool it's gonna be big difference. I am looking forward to how it will do in 20-30 degree day. I am not looking forward to cold weather though. SUCKS!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT