Supercharger - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Running nitrous on older cars is a bit different than these new coyotes. With a good driver and at a tolerable HP level, nitrous is safer and less taxing on the engine. Superchargers run hot, there is no denying that however, for someone who doesn't take their car to the dragstrip Nitrous is not the way to go. The initial cost of Nitrous is cheaper as well but I'm a firm believer in time is money. Running it everyday will result in multiple trips, multiple payments compounding to a price that will exceed the cost of a supercharger in a short amount of time. It is a matter of preference, the argument has stemmed away from the original question though.

Rapinator has a valid argument, all things being constant nitrous will beat a supercharged car every time, turbo is a little different though. The issue I see with your argument is your delivery, teach these guys... don't belittle them. Being a teacher and mentor will resonate longer and capture the respect that you deserve.

The biggest and most important mod on higher HP cars is driver mod. Seat time and experience is of the utmost importance, not only to run faster and more consistent times but to be safer. Everyone is all HP happy and so quick to throw a blower/ nitrous on their car without having the experience, 420hp to the crank is nothing to laugh at on a 3500lbs car. My only advice would be to try and get consistent times with your stock car first before throwing 150hp at the car, but that if for a totally different thread.

Off subject but ZLwhat, didn't you run high 10's on an N/A mustang?
No it was in my lightning that I ran a high 10, but that was before more boost and e85. My 5.0 has been to the track once and ran a best of 12.84 bone stock. My 98 was procharged and it ran a 11.91 best before I blew up the motor. My fastest time so far in something I personally own is 10.18 in the lightning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
Running nitrous on older cars is a bit different than these new coyotes. With a good driver and at a tolerable HP level, nitrous is safer and less taxing on the engine. Superchargers run hot, there is no denying that however, for someone who doesn't take their car to the dragstrip Nitrous is not the way to go. The initial cost of Nitrous is cheaper as well but I'm a firm believer in time is money. Running it everyday will result in multiple trips, multiple payments compounding to a price that will exceed the cost of a supercharger in a short amount of time. It is a matter of preference, the argument has stemmed away from the original question though.

Rapinator has a valid argument, all things being constant nitrous will beat a supercharged car every time, turbo is a little different though. The issue I see with your argument is your delivery, teach these guys... don't belittle them. Being a teacher and mentor will resonate longer and capture the respect that you deserve.

The biggest and most important mod on higher HP cars is driver mod. Seat time and experience is of the utmost importance, not only to run faster and more consistent times but to be safer. Everyone is all HP happy and so quick to throw a blower/ nitrous on their car without having the experience, 420hp to the crank is nothing to laugh at on a 3500lbs car. My only advice would be to try and get consistent times with your stock car first before throwing 150hp at the car, but that if for a totally different thread. Off subject but ZLwhat, didn't you run high 10's on an N/A mustang?
+1
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Post removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14rs3roush View Post
I know you can get different size nitrous bottles, but what's the cost to refill the bottle and how long does it last?

This may be another consideration for the OP.
About a good 6-8 10 second blasts. Nitrous cost me about $25 to refill the bottle from almost empty with my 75 shot.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

How big of a bottle? Thanks for the info, I'm not too familiar with nitrous applications. Don't most places charge by the pound to refill?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

We understand that nitrous is superior to a supercharger if used correctly. But does everyone see the common denominator? Lots of people have been told the same thing. Nitrous has many more things that can go wrong with it. Makes me come to the conclusion that not very many people know how to properly install a nitrous setup. So it's like nitrous is for the gambling man and superchargers are for those of who want to be a little more safe.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
We understand that nitrous is superior to a supercharger if used correctly. But does everyone see the common denominator? Lots of people have been told the same thing. Nitrous has many more things that can go wrong with it. Makes me come to the conclusion that not very many people know how to properly install a nitrous setup. So it's like nitrous is for the gambling man and superchargers are for those of who want to be a little more safe.
Nitrous is tricky business if set up right yeah it can be safe I guess , still 25 dollars for 8 -10 seconds of boost and only 6 shots or so seems very pricey and not something that would interest me , once the bottle runs dry the guy with the BLOWN SUPERCHARGED motor will just pass the other guy with nitrous , for long trips nitrous would not be too good.

Like I said before a good 1/4 mile application that's about it but very impractical and expensive for every day street use.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

Nitrous is tricky business if set up right yeah it can be safe I guess , still 25 dollars for 8 -10 seconds of boost and only 6 shots or so seems very pricey and not something that would interest me , once the bottle runs dry the guy with the BLOWN SUPERCHARGED motor will just pass the other guy with nitrous , for long trips nitrous would not be too good.

Like I said before a good 1/4 mile application that's about it but very impractical and expensive for every day street use.
100% truth brother. Totally agree
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

If your in new Braunfels tx, and you roll up next to me you will be upset.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I love nitrous alot more than either of my supercharged mustangs.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
And for your performance shop to tell you that nitrous is a loaded bomb. Well that is ignorant and verry uneducated thing for him to say. Nitrous is not a bomb and is not flammable. Only thing that could hapen is nitrous could fuel a existing fire. Bc nitrous is oxygen thats it. So oxygen fuels a fire.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

And yes nitrous can cost as much as a supercharger. Depending on the set up you go with. Personally I have over 4k in my setup.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

So again I do not like all the miss information given in this thread. Its alot of he said she said bullcrap. Nitrous is perfectly safe if used correctly. I still cant get over a shop telling someone its a bomb lol.
Clearly you have a done right nitrous setup and works flawless. I'm not disagreeing that nitrous isn't an amazing power adder. Its bad a$$ and when done right and no problems occur , its spot on. The issue is when things go wrong with nitrous , things can go real real bad. A good , proper setup costs as much as a supercharger and surpass the price with constant refills.

For public roadway, daily driving I personally would go the root of a supercharger. The set up is much easier compared to a nitrous set up, bolt on, tune and go. When something fails and goes wrong with the supercharger its typical not as catastrophic as with nitrous can be. Nitrous is great for track applications but if someone isn't track racing , a supercharger is the way to go. Once installed, there are no refill costs with superchargers, no running out of boost.

Let me ask this question bro. If I have a nitrous setup and bottles are filled up, have a motor vehicle collision can and will the nitrous bottles explode? If I'm rear ended or T bones at higher speeds can my nitrous bottles blow up?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #186
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

All there cars had nitrous in them. I wonder how well that set up went for them. Lmao! I wonder how there insurance claim worked out after the nitrous bottles blew there ride up. Lmao
Guaranteed they were not wet systems and did not have the safety window either.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Clearly you have a done right nitrous setup and works flawless. I'm not disagreeing that nitrous isn't an amazing power adder. Its bad a$$ and when done right and no problems occur , its spot on. The issue is when things go wrong with nitrous , things can go real real bad. A good , proper setup costs as much as a supercharger and surpass the price with constant refills.

For public roadway, daily driving I personally would go the root of a supercharger. The set up is much easier compared to a nitrous set up, bolt on, tune and go. When something fails and does wrong with the supercharger its typical not as catastrophic as with nitrous can be. Nitrous is great for track applications but if someone isn't track racing , a supercharger is the way to go. Once installed, there are no refill costs with superchargers, no running out of boost.

Let me ask this question bro. If I have a nitrous setup and bottles are filled up, have a motor vehicle collision can and will the nitrous bottles explode? If I'm rear ended or T bones at higher speeds can my nitrous bottles blow up?
No the bottle will not blow up in a vehicle crash.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Guaranteed they were not wet systems and did not have the safety window either.
That I have no clue lol but clearly when ***** goes wrong with nitrous it can go really really wrong.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote:

No the bottle will not blow up in a vehicle crash.
Cool. I was just wondering bro. No sacrasim in that question. Thanks man. I didnt know.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

I already explained what hapened in those pictures. It didnt hapen on the road or the track for the ones with the *** end of the car gone. It hapened sitting in there driveway.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

The bottle pressure got over 1600 psi. And the safety blow off valve failed. Meaning it was a old bottle/ never inspected. If it was a properly working bottle that would never have happened. Just look at it this way you leave a unopened can of coke in the heat it will bust. Same thing happened to the cars with there bottles.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
100% truth brother. Totally agree

Old 11-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #191
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:

What are you talking about long trips and every day street use? The nitrous system is way safer than a supercharger for street use. Why? It can be turned off. But what I gather from your post is you are mentioning street racing without actually saying it. Sure supercharger is better on long runs against nitrous. But the only long runs could be racing on a highway. Well you do that, just stay off the street i drive on. Take it to the strip or do not race at all. The only racing you should do is 1/4 mile at a drag strip. As for street use, nitrous is way better than a super charger. Here's why, the supercharger is constantly putting unnecessary psi threw the motor the nitrous system can be turned off. Street racing is foolish and as dangerous as driving drunk.

420 hp is plenty for every day street use!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I already explained what hapened in those pictures. It didnt hapen on the road or the track for the ones with the *** end of the car gone. It hapened sitting in there driveway.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

The bottle pressure got over 1600 psi. And the safety blow off valve failed. Meaning it was a old bottle/ never inspected. If it was a properly working bottle that would never have happened. Just look at it this way you leave a unopened can of coke in the heat it will bust. Same thing happened to the cars with there bottles.
So what you are saying is that bottles have to be inspected quite often in order to make sure the safety blow off valve is working properly obviously that is a huge concern with nitrous after all it is pressurized gas...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So what you are saying is that bottles have to be inspected quite often in order to make sure the safety blow off valve is working properly obviously that is a huge concern with nitrous after all it is pressurized gas...
Every 2-3 years
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are you talking about long trips and every day street use? The nitrous system is way safer than a supercharger for street use. Why? It can be turned off. But what I gather from your post is you are mentioning street racing without actually saying it. Sure supercharger is better on long runs against nitrous. But the only long runs could be racing on a highway. Well you do that, just stay off the street i drive on. Take it to the strip or do not race at all. The only racing you should do is 1/4 mile at a drag strip. As for street use, nitrous is way better than a super charger. Here's why, the supercharger is constantly putting unnecessary psi threw the motor the nitrous system can be turned off. Street racing is foolish and as dangerous as driving drunk.

I never said that I street race you have to remember one thing , a driver can go as fast as he want's from 0 to 60 and going on long trips yes that's where a supercharger shines trough long mountain passes etc where constant boost is a must in order to have a high performance experience. And 420 hp at the crank is WEAK I wouldn't run less than 550 to 600 Hp of CONSTANT POWER for a daily driver I like to get out of the hole FAST.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #195
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
What are you talking about long trips and every day street use? The nitrous system is way safer than a supercharger for street use. Why? It can be turned off. But what I gather from your post is you are mentioning street racing without actually saying it. Sure supercharger is better on long runs against nitrous. But the only long runs could be racing on a highway. Well you do that, just stay off the street i drive on. Take it to the strip or do not race at all. The only racing you should do is 1/4 mile at a drag strip. As for street use, nitrous is way better than a super charger. Here's why, the supercharger is constantly putting unnecessary psi threw the motor the nitrous system can be turned off. Street racing is foolish and as dangerous as driving drunk. 420 hp is plenty for every day street use!
+10 that's what I've been trying to say but they don't listen lol
How is a supercharger safer on your engine when your spray is off 99%of the time?
You also have a window switch/wot switch to make sure you don't spray in the wrong rpm
There are so many safety features it's not even funny
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I never said that I street race you have to remember one thing , a driver can go as fast as he want's from 0 to 60 and going on long trips yes that's where a super charger shines trough long mountain passes etc where constant boost is a must in order to have a high performance experience. And 420 hp at the crank is WEAK I wouldn't run less than 550 to 600 Hp of CONSTANT POWER for a daily driver I like to get out of the hole FAST.
Weak? You must be a complete troll on here, honestly I believe you are
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
+10 that's what I've been trying to say but they don't listen lol
How is a supercharger safer on your engine when your spray is off 99%of the time?
You also have a window switch/wot switch to make sure you don't spray in the wrong rpm
There are so many safety features it's not even funny

A supercharged engine does not need a safety switch JUST in case you miss a shift , you can miss shifts ALL day with a SUPERCHARGED SYSTEM and NEVER have to worry about ENGINE FAILURE due to this happening .

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Weak? You must be a complete troll on here, honestly I believe you are

That's just my opinion , it doesn't mean that I'm a troll lol... you like nitrous I like superchargers , to each his own .
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #198
Road Trip!

Quote:
A supercharged engine does not need a safety switch JUST in case you miss a shift , you can miss shifts ALL day with a SUPERCHARGED SYSTEM and NEVER have to worry about ENGINE FAILURE due to this happening . ---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ---------- That's just my opinion , it doesn't mean that I'm a troll lol... you like nitrous I like superchargers , to each his own .
lol be sure to get video of you missing those shifts all day long
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

And missing shifts "all day" as you put it with a supercharger can and will damage your engine. If your are bouncing off the rev limiter
Old 11-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sounds good to me bro. Since I don't track race, I personally would go the route of supercharger because it has a endless supply of boost and never have to refill it to make the power. Just gas and go. Lol. No fuss , no muss. For the daily driver who wants a power adder, super or turbo is the way to go. For best time track applications, then nitrous is way to go.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote:

No boost is created on the engine with the pro charger supercharger system under normal driving. The system is set up for the boost to go out the vacuum under normal driving conditions. The engine does not have psi from the supercharger unless you nail it and rpm's run high. 80 mph 2,700 rpm's, no boost is tacking the engine on the pro charger system
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

I would not go back to a supercharger. Thats why I am adding the single 78mm turbo in feb-march. And will drop my 300 shot down to a 200 shot.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would not go back to a supercharger. Thats why I am adding the single 78mm turbo in feb-march. And will drop my 300 shot down to a 200 shot.
I want to see that setup. Sounds freaking bad ***. Definitely need to see some videos of you beating super charged mustangs.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

You guys are referring to supercharged cars blowing by nitrous cars when you run out of juice, but a nitrous car isn't going to run out of juice at the track. You definitely shouldn't be racing on the street with nitrous or a supercharger although its very tempting.

And btw, those cars that blew up could have done one thing that would have prevented all of that. I do this and suggest others do so as well. REMOVE the freakin bottle from the car when you don't need it in there lol. There's no need for a nitrous bottle to sit out in direct sunlight if you have no chance/need of spraying it.

Also, I'd say that I spend about $100 a year on nitrous because I only use it in the lightning for one, and two, its only to get the best times possible or to break my PB.

I won't argue nitrous vs. superchargers because its a losing battle both ways, but I do believe either car can be just as fast depending on what's done to them and who is driving. Nitrous can be just as dangerous or just as safe as a supercharger and there are safeguards for missing shifts, poor fuel, and poor driving in general that make it safer than it ever has been to go either way. It's all preference. Some people thinks its sweet to open the hood and see a blower, others want a sleeper nitrous look or like to see those hard lines running everywhere with a big shot.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post

I want to see that setup. Sounds freaking bad ***. Definitely need to see some videos of you beating super charged mustangs.
I will be going for 750-800 at tires with the turbo and close to 1000 with the bottle

Im curently a little over 7 right now with the bottle
Old 11-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I will be going for 750-800 at tires with the turbo and close to 1000 with the bottle

Im curently a little over 7 right now with the bottle
You should go for 1000+ torque and post your dyno on a diesel truck forum and laugh.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

You should go for 1000+ torque and post your dyno on a diesel truck forum and laugh.
Lmao. It will be over a 1000 tq for sure. Its 8 right now so it will hit 1000 with the bottle.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

I have basic bolt ons. My exterior is done. So the natural progression for me is to start with a power adder on the "baby" settings without building the motor. After reading through these pages I am leaning more towards the bottle for the reasons of cost and the relative ease of install vs a blower. Plus if I ever want to sell the car the nitrous system can be taken off and no one would know it was there. I can also take off the nitrous and change to a blower if I choose. That makes me feel better because I can test the waters. My .02
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post
I have basic bolt ons. My exterior is done. So the natural progression for me is to start with a power adder on the "baby" settings without building the motor. After reading through these pages I am leaning more towards the bottle for the reasons of cost and the relative ease of install vs a blower. Plus if I ever want to sell the car the nitrous system can be taken off and no one would know it was there. I can also take off the nitrous and change to a blower if I choose. That makes me feel better because I can test the waters. My .02
Just keep it at 150 or below on a stock motor. Back when I had a 150 shot I made 550 at the tires.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just keep it at 150 or below on a stock motor. Back when I had a 150 shot I made 550 at the tires.
Yeah I would go get a complete kit from nitrous express or something and start with a small nozzle and work your way up. Spraying progressively is addicting but super dangerous for a beginner. The instant torque is asking for trouble, especially on the streets.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You guys crack me up. I'm not supporting a supercharger nor am I supporting nitrous but both sides are full of sh*t!

Aftermarket Superchargers are nothing but headaches between squeeling belts, check engine lights and terrible road manners. 3-6k for anything decent enough to feel and then let the issues begin.

Nitrous can be dangerous as well with fiery backfires and sometimes stuck solenoids which can lead to holes in the pistons and all kinds of problems as well. Not to mention 45 bucks to fill a bottle that might get you 3 or 4 decent- even pressure - passes.

Building your motor to make power normally aspirated is the key to longevity, and consistent power. Start with as many cubes as you can afford and build from there. But even then, there are a ton of limitations with factory based fuel injection systems.

I tried to make my mustang feel even remotely close to my normally aspirated, carbureted big block and as soon as the power goes up, the drive-ability goes to ****. It's too bad, but it's fact.

There's my two cents. Flame away.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT