Engine knocking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Engine knocking

Ok guys, before I take this into the dealer.

I have a bad knocking/ticking coming from the bottom of the engine. I was driving onto a highway and began to accelerate. Once I got near 100 km my car was hesitating to accelerate. Next the engine light was flashing and a weird sound coming from my exhaust. I was able to get home before anything bad could happen. Car has 56000 kms it's been well maintained, was seeing if anyone has had this problem or have an idea on what it might be? Input greatly appreciated thanks
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
How's the oil level? Are u tuned??
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Doesn't sound good. Definitely check the oil to start off. Hopefully you aren't tuned.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
How's the oil level? Are u tuned??
Was going to ask the same thing. Check your oil level and if your tuned datalog it. You could be running to much timing and the computer could only pull so much. If the timing is that high it could cause an audible knock
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's stock, no tune at all. Spoke to a buddy who owns a performance shop and specializes in mustangs, he says he thinks it could be tensioners
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well found out today i blew 2 main bearings and oil pan only had 2 litres of oil left in it, awaiting on ford to see if it's under warranty
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Why would you let the oil get so low? Who did the last oil change and how many miles since it was done?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't allow it to get that low, last oil changed was 7000 kms ago. I was about to take it in for an oil changed. Fords manual says every 8000 km for an oil change, I didn't know that the engine burned that much oil. I've always changed my oil on time sometimes a few 1000 kms before the interval and never had problems with low oil
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The mileage isn't a problem with going that long but have you checked it at all since the last oil change?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, I've owned 3 mustangs and never check the oil on them. I do regular maintenance i have yet to own a vehicle where you have to check it especially a new one. I don't drive it too hard or drag race it or race at all so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Nope, I've owned 3 mustangs and never check the oil on them. I do regular maintenance i have yet to own a vehicle where you have to check it especially a new one. I don't drive it too hard or drag race it or race at all so it shouldn't be a problem.
Your right it shouldn't be a problem. But, to never check your oil in any kind of internal combustion engine, new or not, is just foolish.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
My Dad always told me check all your fluid levels under the hood once every month. 25 years ago he told me that and I have never had issue with any of my cars. Better to be safe than sorry. Not to mention you will find a problem long before it becomes a headache.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Ouch...This cannot end well... I think I will go down and check my oil level right now, again..
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've own numerous new vehicles and out around 100,000 kms on each one without checking the oil, never had a problem ever. I checked it when it was knocking and couldn't get an accurate reading on it. Hence why there was only 2 litres and why I couldn't get a good reading. There's no leaks in or around the engine so the oil is either burning or blowing by somewhere.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well i Discovered most of my oil has been leaking through an aftermarket Oil pressure gauge for a long time now. After getting the oil changed, just while leaving for a road trip, same thing you said about 100km in and climbing suddenly I heard the noise clicking away, goes away for a second, then noticed the pressure was wayyyy too low for this speed, and deaccelerating brought it up but only a few points. Pulled over and found the motor had ZERO oil left!!! And Apparently it has been leaking on the driveway too litle bits at a time. The scary thing is, it was leaking little by little for much longer before i got it, evident in the old shifet boot which is soaked by oil and is harder than rock. Only after I got the change done had it sped up the menstrual curse. Now i have to find out how much damage the engine took from that.
Pirate Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I've own numerous new vehicles and out around 100,000 kms on each one without checking the oil, never had a problem ever. I checked it when it was knocking and couldn't get an accurate reading on it. Hence why there was only 2 litres and why I couldn't get a good reading. There's no leaks in or around the engine so the oil is either burning or blowing by somewhere.

What was the outcome of this?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT