suspension mod help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
suspension mod help

what kind of suspension mod would give me a smoother and more comfortable ride? I know its a mustang and not a bmw but on slightly uneven or rough roads this car feels unpleasant. I do not wish to lower my car, i believe factory height of the car is perfect. What are some main mods that will improve ride quality? ooooh and btw its a 13' gt.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Since your car is relatively new, the only thing that will make it feel more comfortable is to replace your shocks/struts/springs with air ride.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

should i get coil over or suspension kit like a eibach? are there spring out there that is an upgrade over stock but doesnt lower the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
should i get coil over or suspension kit like a eibach? are there spring out there that is an upgrade over stock but doesnt lower the car?
Adjustable shocks/struts at the softest setting is basically stock. If you don't want to lower you're car then a coilover is pointless. You're basically spending $1500 for nothing you want in the first place.

Well there is one thing you can do. Get 16" rims and run 225/55/16 or even 15" rims. Higher profile = softer ride. Narrower tires = less tread contact with road = less NVH.

BUT... Traction and handling = SHYTE
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Get some mitchlen tires, it'll ride like a dream.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Adjustable shocks/struts at the softest setting is basically stock. If you don't want to lower you're car then a coilover is pointless. You're basically spending $1500 for nothing you want in the first place.

Well there is one thing you can do. Get 16" rims and run 225/55/16 or even 15" rims. Higher profile = softer ride. Narrower tires = less tread contact with road = less NVH.

BUT... Traction and handling = SHYTE
..............so nothing basically lol, guess mustang is meant to be like tha. do these koni or eibach pro system kit makes the ride smoother or stiffer? if im not clear, i want something that will absorb road imperfection unlike stock which i can feel every single bump or unevenness of the road. If i hav to go to lowering route i will if it works.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

..............so nothing basically lol, guess mustang is meant to be like tha. do these koni or eibach pro system kit makes the ride smoother or stiffer? if im not clear, i want something that will absorb road imperfection unlike stock which i can feel every single bump or unevenness of the road. If i hav to go to lowering route i will if it works.
The kit you're talking about will drastically make your suspension system stiffer. It will make your car harsher in bumpy roads and you will feel more road imperfections. Lowering your car is one of the top 2 or 3 things you can do to make things rougher. Especially without dampers.

Lowering springs have shorter travel and higher spring rate so even though they are progressive its just a harsher ride. There's so much more to a suspension setup than just springs, shocks, and sways bars too.

In general, any suspension mod will make you're car stiffer and you will feel more road bumps and imperfections however that being said the stock suspension feels like a boat because the shocks are so soft as are the springs that it allows a more compliant ride. When you go over a wavy part of the road I'm sure you can feel the car start bouncing up and down like you're riding a wave.

Suspension mods will smooth out this by controlling the oscillations of the up and down movement. So its a smoother but stiffer ride. Safer in handling maneuvers because when making turns the more uneven the road the more it upsets the car's suspension if its soft (stock) but in a stiffer suspension you have better control over your vehicle's contact with the road. The level of stiffness required is different depending on the road conditions thus there are all sorts of adjustable mods.

I'm far from one to tell another person not to do any mods but if you seriously don't want to feel the roughness suspension mods are not good for you - ANY suspension mods... except for higher profile tires and smaller rims.

Well there is another mod you can do. It's called the Lexus mod.

Lol XD
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have zero experience with air rides. Ask soccerLuver about that. Maybe that works. But yeah it's a mustang. You don't ride a horse and expect it not to gallop and not feel it run when it does.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have zero experience with air rides. Ask soccerLuver about that. Maybe that works. But yeah it's a mustang. You don't ride a horse and expect it not to gallop and not feel it run when it does.
No air ride I have that I have ever driven is good. And that goes all the way from 18wheelers, 60ft accordian buses, show trucks, show cars, or even a low rider I got to sit in while it bounced. There are all made for one purpose in my eyes and it's on-the-go suspension adjustability or for show. It's rare you will find a car with air suspension tearing up the local road course or laying rubber at the drag strip.

IMO, coil overs and larger side walled tires are the best options. Lowering springs are much stiffer than stock, and coil overs have much better control and damper than stock springs/shocks. Plus with a coil over you can adjust your ride height if scraping curbs and speed bumps all over town isn't your thing, OR have it really low and you don't have to swap out springs every time.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The kit you're talking about will drastically make your suspension system stiffer. It will make your car harsher in bumpy roads and you will feel more road imperfections. Lowering your car is one of the top 2 or 3 things you can do to make things rougher. Especially without dampers.

Lowering springs have shorter travel and higher spring rate so even though they are progressive its just a harsher ride. There's so much more to a suspension setup than just springs, shocks, and sways bars too.

In general, any suspension mod will make you're car stiffer and you will feel more road bumps and imperfections however that being said the stock suspension feels like a boat because the shocks are so soft as are the springs that it allows a more compliant ride. When you go over a wavy part of the road I'm sure you can feel the car start bouncing up and down like you're riding a wave.

Suspension mods will smooth out this by controlling the oscillations of the up and down movement. So its a smoother but stiffer ride. Safer in handling maneuvers because when making turns the more uneven the road the more it upsets the car's suspension if its soft (stock) but in a stiffer suspension you have better control over your vehicle's contact with the road. The level of stiffness required is different depending on the road conditions thus there are all sorts of adjustable mods.

I'm far from one to tell another person not to do any mods but if you seriously don't want to feel the roughness suspension mods are not good for you - ANY suspension mods... except for higher profile tires and smaller rims.

Well there is another mod you can do. It's called the Lexus mod.

Lol XD
Thanks, that was super informative. This sucks, is live axle what makes this car ride quality so mediocre even suspension mod cant compensate for? Im guessing the upcoming 2015 mustag will have a huge suspension improvement over our stangs? I was planning to get a roush superharger after i mod my suspesion to my liking first but that plan seems to be derailing.

The suspension kit will definitely add too much roughness to the ride but will couple of mod makes the roughness noticeable? Mods such rear lower control arms, sway bar or koni shock/strut that i heard so much about making the ride better. Also i saw it in the forum somewhere about someone saying just upgrading the stock rubber bushing to something else will dramatically enhance ride quality.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks, that was super informative. This sucks, is live axle what makes this car ride quality so mediocre even suspension mod cant compensate for? Im guessing the upcoming 2015 mustag will have a huge suspension improvement over our stangs? I was planning to get a roush superharger after i mod my suspesion to my liking first but that plan seems to be derailing.

The suspension kit will definitely add too much roughness to the ride but will couple of mod makes the roughness noticeable? Mods such rear lower control arms, sway bar or koni shock/strut that i heard so much about making the ride better. Also i saw it in the forum somewhere about someone saying just upgrading the stock rubber bushing to something else will dramatically enhance ride quality.
No LCA and any upgrades to the factory rubber bushings to a poly will make it much worse in terms of a comfortable and quiet ride. With rubber there's some play on the way the components move. With poly bushings you have much less movement and will feel even some small cracks in the road that you never felt before.

And yes partially what you maybe referring to as roughness is in fact some shimmying by the live axle. That's wheel hop. Truth is even a IRS car will have some lateral instability over rough enough terrain. It's a much better suspension for road track racing and handling.

With the wheel hop you can get rid of almost 90% of it with a LCA, (adjustable if lowered) UCA, and an LCA relocation bracket. But it will be a stiff rear even with stock springs and shocks.

If you're looking for a compliant ride a stock set up is as good as you can get IMHO.

One thing I think won't make the ride much worse maybe to upgrade the sway bars. You'll get some better lateral support in corners and reduce some body roll and overall ride quality should be the same.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
OP it sounds like u got the wrong car, a sports coupe will never have the soft, spongy setup your looking for. An improvement to these cars suspension is the harder poly bushing which firm up the ride. And a supercharger with stock suspension is just a waste of $$ and pointless
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
OP it sounds like u got the wrong car, a sports coupe will never have the soft, spongy setup your looking for. An improvement to these cars suspension is the harder poly bushing which firm up the ride. And a supercharger with stock suspension is just a waste of $$ and pointless
I 2nd this. Ive upgraded the entire suspension minus a watts link and sway bars and its a bumpy ride to say the least. I wouldnt have it any other way though. I think you need to curb your expectations.
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
OP if you're curious as to how the ride changes with various suspension mods ask around to see if someone in your area with suspension mods you're looking at will give ya a ride so you can experience it first hand
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
OP if you're curious as to how the ride changes with various suspension mods ask around to see if someone in your area with suspension mods you're looking at will give ya a ride so you can experience it first hand
Lol sometimes you don't need a ride from a fire breathing dragon name Drago to know its gonna be tough, fast, and will burn your ***.

But +1 maybe OP you will decide that you can live with the rawness better than you thought you could after you see how much fun it can be.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I dont have the wrong car, i like my car most of the times. Just sometimes on rough roads im getting jerk aroud in my seat, not a pleasant feel lol. Almost a year owning it, every morning when i walk to my car the beauty of this car still stuns(lack of better word) me till this day. This is also my first car, before that drove my familys car, so i compared it to that which is apples and oranges. I dont have any friends that owns a mustang, most of them are broke lol.

I did met this guy who owns alittle shop, he has a 13' gt roush stage 3 700whp + additional mods he had on. He took me out for a joy ride and i will never forget that day lol. That car was a beast, he went wot at every light and that thing was fast like a rocket. This is the fastest car i have ever been in, i was kinda scared lol at first afraid he would lose control and kill us both. And needless to say my gt felt like a v6 eversince lol jk. I dont think he would let me drive his 70k+ car and on top of that he was very annoying trying to get me to buy everything at his shop lol.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Your problem is the Pirelli tires.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
+1000
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dont have the wrong car, i like my car most of the times. Just sometimes on rough roads im getting jerk aroud in my seat, not a pleasant feel lol. Almost a year owning it, every morning when i walk to my car the beauty of this car still stuns(lack of better word) me till this day. This is also my first car, before that drove my familys car, so i compared it to that which is apples and oranges. I dont have any friends that owns a mustang, most of them are broke lol. I did met this guy who owns alittle shop, he has a 13' gt roush stage 3 700whp + additional mods he had on. He took me out for a joy ride and i will never forget that day lol. That car was a beast, he went wot at every light and that thing was fast like a rocket. This is the fastest car i have ever been in, i was kinda scared lol at first afraid he would lose control and kill us both. And needless to say my gt felt like a v6 eversince lol jk. I dont think he would let me drive his 70k+ car and on top of that he was very annoying trying to get me to buy everything at his shop lol.
Reply. I once bought a used BENZ S500 and it drove smooth like an airplane. It had air suspension shocks in front and rear plus a pump at the engine. A system like that will solve your issue. I used to buy the shocks from Arnott. They sell them refurb'd.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I dont have the wrong car, i like my car most of the times. Just sometimes on rough roads im getting jerk aroud in my seat, not a pleasant feel lol. Almost a year owning it, every morning when i walk to my car the beauty of this car still stuns(lack of better word) me till this day. This is also my first car, before that drove my familys car, so i compared it to that which is apples and oranges. I dont have any friends that owns a mustang, most of them are broke lol.

I did met this guy who owns alittle shop, he has a 13' gt roush stage 3 700whp + additional mods he had on. He took me out for a joy ride and i will never forget that day lol. That car was a beast, he went wot at every light and that thing was fast like a rocket. This is the fastest car i have ever been in, i was kinda scared lol at first afraid he would lose control and kill us both. And needless to say my gt felt like a v6 eversince lol jk. I dont think he would let me drive his 70k+ car and on top of that he was very annoying trying to get me to buy everything at his shop lol.
Wait how old are you again? Doesn't really matter I guess but u mentioned your family's car which suggests you're young.

Man I think the supple ride of the family car pampered you too much. Dr. Stang's remedy is for you to live with a raw and powerful beast that spits out 700HP+ with tires fatter than Angelina Jolie's lips on Botox from henceforth until you have a kid or five and then and only then do you buy yourself a trailer to hitch to your by then 2,000HP+ quad turbocharged 500 shot nitrous Stang and tow them in the relative luxury of the trailer while you sling it in the Stang.

If by then you still don't think you can live with the rough rawness and manliness of a Mustang then you may then buy yourself a Lexus family wagon while betrothing your stang to your eldest so that he may learn to rough it up like a man and grow up to be able to wrestle black bears with his bare hands for bear jerky.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

All jokes aside. If you can't stand the bumps then don't even bother with any suspension mods. Not worth it. Air suspension will never make the stang a true lux car and it may very well not make your mustang perform better or worse than stock in handling which if it doesn't do anything then might as well not waste money.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Agreed Pirelli Tires that come on the Mustangs...SUCK! I pulled mine and I am running Nitto INVOS and they are sooooooooo smooth. It's not like a Cadillac, but it a hell of a lot more comfortable ride and it handles way better now. I have not run the Michelin Pilot Sports, but I hear they are outstanding. Hope this helps
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT