Storing for the winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Storing for the winter

It's my first time storing a car for the winter so does anyone have any tips and do I need to do anything to the convertible top? Should I cover the car ?
Rjg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Cover it, put a battery tender on it, and buy plenty of decon.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Cover it, put a battery tender on it, and buy plenty of decon.
That's about it but I'll add that I pull my battery and bring it inside in the warm and keep a battery tender on it. Moth balls outside the car and scented dryer sheets inside the car to keep mice out. And definitely change the oil before storage.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When ppl store their car for the winter. I'm assuming its in places that get lots of snow right?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah - make sure you do something to keep the mice out - when I lived in the country, those little bastards would sometimes get into the car overnight if I accidentally left a granola bar (sealed in the package) in there. Come out in the morning and find little tiny pieces of wrapper everywhere and my dad has had them eat wiring on his car and it's his daily driver and he's in the surburbs.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
When ppl store their car for the winter. I'm assuming its in places that get lots of snow right?
It's not so much the snow, it's the salt an other chemicals they put on the roads that'll eat the body off a car. You will start getting rust after about 6 yrs. You can almost time it to your warranty running out.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
It's not so much the snow, it's the salt an other chemicals they put on the roads that'll eat the body off a car. You will start getting rust after about 6 yrs. You can almost time it to your warranty running out.

So that's what it is. I was just under the impression it was the difficulty of driving a sports car on those roads. So is it like winterizing a boat? No fuel in the tank stuff like that?
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Hmmm, I live in KC where we usually get 35 Or so inches of snow a winter (I know not too much) and they're salt happy here, but I drove my old stang every winter for 11 years and had zero rust.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So what about people that are storing it inside. I just bought my winter vehicle and the stang stays in the carpeted garage that is heated. I just bought some more croftgate products to make it all clean and GYTUP suggested a car cover. I know get the oil changed but should it be stored with a full tank of gas or little gas?! This is my first year storing too.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
So what about people that are storing it inside. I just bought my winter vehicle and the stang stays in the carpeted garage that is heated. I just bought some more croftgate products to make it all clean and GYTUP suggested a car cover. I know get the oil changed but should it be stored with a full tank of gas or little gas?! This is my first year storing too.
In your case there's no need to keep the tank full. My garage is heated as well and I never keep the gas tank full.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I put my stang over at my grandmas house starting December 1st. I've cleaned out the car, full interior detail, as to not have mice tryin' to sneak in lookin for food crumbs or something. I've invested in Decon, and some traps.

You all are talking about the battery? Battery tender? I'm not quite sure what that is. What fo they run? I've got no car cover. But, i figure a wash and double coat of wax should help protect from too much dust. Nobody really goes in her garage, so nothing should be disturbing/kickin up more dust.

Also, should i be worried about flat spots on my tires? Or would it take longer than a few months for them to do that?

How much gas should i have in the car? And should i use a fuel stabilizer?

First time I'm putting the car in storage, so i also need as much help as i can get.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
In your case there's no need to keep the tank full. My garage is heated as well and I never keep the gas tank full.
Wonderful thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Definitely add stabil to the fuel. You want believe what ethanol will do to that car after sitting for an extended period of time.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

this is what I do for mine in a un-attached garage in CT, it's more than needed but not too much work or $.

start with a 1/4 or less tank of gas than add Stable (be sure to use the funnel in the trunk or it'll spill) then fill it with premium. You want to do this to get Stable in both sides of the split tank, and premium seems to have a better shelf life.

If you are due for an oil change do it B4 storage, the OLM will count time in storage.

Wash & wax & cover. I bought a semi-custom cover at a big box store (Burge? made in USA for less than $75)

I put extra air in the tires (40 psi) and park on folded cardboard to prevent flat spotting (not much of an issue with modern tires but easy enough to do.

cover the cowl intake and exhaust with painters tape (mice)

I use peppermint and spearmint oil on cotton balls to deter mice (renew monthly) smells nice and works for me, Bounce is popular but a friend had them build a nest out of it in his car.

I leave the windows cracked a bit cause of the auto index windows but have been told it's not needed.

either use a battery tender or charge the battery 1x a month for a few hours...do NOT overcharge!

when starting after storage (and I don't start it till I take it out..other may suggest starting pick yours) I pull the fuel pump relay to let it crank for two 10 second cycles to get parts rotating before it sees fuel/wear to get oil moving.

none of this is hard nor expensive. It may not be needed but as I said simple/cheap. I will say the Stable, Battery, and Critters are important the rest is just recommended but not needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT