Detroit Eaton Truetrac posi noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Detroit Eaton Truetrac posi noise

So I had my stock posi in my differential replaced with the Detroit Eaton posi. At same time, I had my 3.31 final gear replaced with a Ford Racing 3.73.

Two types of noise came up:
1) gear whining as speed increases. The new posi is all helical gears with no clutch
2) clunk noise at low gears when letting the clutch off or engaging it. The posi seems to have its own backlash

Note the pinion ring backlash was adjusted property. Anyone has experienced such a noise on a Detroit Eaton Truetrac? If I have to replace it with a quite and high torque rating, what would you recommend?
Alkhalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Weird...that clunking sounds more like the noise from a Detroit Locker, not a helical diff. Some backlash is to be expected but, lots of noise? I've never heard one that makes a racket of significant proportions.

Some light gear whine from 3.73s isn't unusual. Usually it's in a narrow speed range and comes and goes.

The S197 is a freaking kettle drum for transmitting any noise though, that's for sure.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I looked up the picture from their website and it looks like the helical gear version (Truetrac). I had no springs visible outside. Does the locker have springs or do they look similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkhalil View Post
I looked up the picture from their website and it looks like the helical gear version (Truetrac). I had no springs visible outside. Does the locker have springs or do they look similar?
Detroit locker is basically two castellated nuts driven together to make a spool when engaged.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #5

Region: California
I just saw this and was wondering if you have any resolution? I have about 1000 miles on a True-Trac in my 06, and it is very noisy (pop/clack/rattle) on light-no load. I had the shop check and pop the cover and we tried a heavier geal oil (non-synthetic).

It's very frustrating.

-Jim
yo_jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had it removed and back to my rebuilt stock. Noises are gone now.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #7

Quote:
I had it removed and back to my rebuilt stock. Noises are gone now.
I was afraid that was your answer! I've been thinking that, except I really like how the car feels with the True-Trac...

I don't know about you but I can't help but think I'll never buy another Eaton product.

-Jim
Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ditto. I was lucky that it was my mechanic who chose that model. He is able to return it for credit. Sorry man
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Ditto. I was lucky that it was my mechanic who chose that model. He is able to return it for credit. Sorry man
That was an expensive close call.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

this teaches me a lesson about what to source or not source for myself. Had I just let the shop do it, I'd be better off, but I would have paid several hundred dollars more. They're fine either way, in fact I expect they are happy I sourced the diff myself.

-Jim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT