245's vs 275's - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
But that's a completely different car. Completely different suspension. Different sized wheels. Different wheel wells. Different lug pattern. Different wheel offset and backspacing. Non electric steering, and different section of the forum. Not trying to be rude or anything but we are talking about 10-14s. ---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ---------- With lowering springs and stock suspension 305s are never going to happen. You'll never clear the strut without completely custom wheels
I know, I was just giving a different perspective. Ask Alrefire what his plans are for his suspension soon, with what he will be running he will have 305s all around. He has an 10+ It is doable with the right set up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
No it has a complete track set up with coil overs made to fit wider tires all the way around. It looks beast actually.
For starters, your standard Coilover won't fit. What yore referring to is my future plan.. It's called SLA suspension It's a double a arm. Short-long arm... same style suspension on corvettes (notice their wide tires) It allows you to get more contact patch with less negative camber. Also, it allows te use of 305 ***tires up front. Griggs also offers a rear shock relocation kit.. Allows 315s ***in the rear.. Anyone else have questions? I'm doing this after turbo... Probably 2-3 years..
*** wider tires will fit
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But that's a completely different car. Completely different suspension. Different sized wheels. Different wheel wells. Different lug pattern. Different wheel offset and backspacing. Non electric steering, and different section of the forum. Not trying to be rude or anything but we are talking about 10-14s. ---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ---------- With lowering springs and stock suspension 305s are never going to happen. You'll never clear the strut without completely custom wheels
Custom wheels?!?!?
What are you thinking?
No matter what the inner shape of the wheel is, you have a circle that is 8,9,10,11 inches wide.... If you've got a strut that goes in the strut towers. Your wheels will hit it if they're too wide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Custom wheels?!?!?
What are you thinking?
No matter what the inner shape of the wheel is, you have a circle that is 8,9,10,11 inches wide.... If you've got a strut that goes in the strut towers. Your wheels will hit it if they're too wide
Not true. You may offset the inner lip of the wheel by increasing the the back spacing of the hub. Making the wheel deeper and keep the inner lip of the wheel further away from the strut
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not true. You may offset the inner lip of the wheel by increasing the the back spacing of the hub. Making the wheel deeper and keep the inner lip of the wheel further away from the strut
You can only do that to a certain point... You'll either hit the inner fender (strut assembly), or the outer fender... Pick you poison.
The SLA front suspension eliminates your strut tower, allowing for a much, much wider tire up front.
Also, it allows you to run less camber and more contact patch, meaning you can go faster into turns and dissipate heat much quicker.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

When competing, it's recommended to run 3* of camber to get optimum contact patch at a hard turn. The other tire, however, will be at 6* of negative camber.. Which heats up A LOT quicker, and can accelerate tire wear (plus the tires aren't rated for that kind of heat)
The good thing about SLA is it allows more flexibility on each side.
You get the same contact patch as a macpherson strut setup with 3* of negative camber, except with only 1.5*
That means, more contact patch and less heat with less camber.
Plus, you can run 305s (under stock sheet metal) with SLA front suspension, good luck trying to accomplish that with a traditional Coilover setup.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
You can only do that to a certain point... You'll either hit the inner fender (strut assembly), or the outer fender... Pick you poison.
The SLA front suspension eliminates your strut tower, allowing for a much, much wider tire up front.
Also, it allows you to run less camber and more contact patch, meaning you can go faster into turns and dissipate heat much quicker.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

When competing, it's recommended to run 3* of camber to get optimum contact patch at a hard turn. The other tire, however, will be at 6* of negative camber.. Which heats up A LOT quicker, and can accelerate tire wear (plus the tires aren't rated for that kind of heat)
You get the same contact patch as a macpherson strut setup with 3* of negative camber, except with only 1.5*
Plus, you can run 305s (under stock sheet metal) with SLA front suspension, good luck trying to accomplish that with a traditional Coilover setup.
OK I'll get my 305s and prove you wrong :p
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
OK I'll get my 305s and prove you wrong :p
Do it!
And turn your wheel all the way :p
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Do it!
And turn your wheel all the way :p
Gotcha
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Coil overs don't compare to SLA in that aspect. I was more less stating that coil overs are probably an easier approach to fitting bigger wheel/tire combos. You are right about the SLA set-up, but it's $$$.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Coil overs don't compare to SLA in that aspect. I was more less stating that coil overs are probably an easier approach to fitting bigger wheel/tire combos. You are right about the SLA set-up, but it's $$$.
Agreed, but I thought we were arguing how to cram wider tires up front :p
Coilovers may give you a couple extra mm of tires, but SLA is the way to go for wide tires :p
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed, but I thought we were arguing how to cram wider tires up front :p
Coilovers may give you a couple extra mm of tires, but SLA is the way to go for wide tires :p
Both are viable options but I would keep SLA for track cars probably. 305s up front would be weird on a daily driver lol. SLA allows for huge wheel up front
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Both are viable options but I would keep SLA for track cars probably. 305s up front would be weird on a daily driver lol. SLA allows for huge wheel up front
You get a better ride since you run softer springs with it. Just good for thought :p

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT