Drive shaft needed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Drive shaft needed?

I own a 12 gt and just got tuned recently from Shaun at aed (love it) and was thinking of getting slicks but not sure if I need to upgrade to 1 piece drive shaft.
Mods are CIA and o/r x pipe
Wicked_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_5.0 View Post
I own a 12 gt and just got tuned recently from Shaun at aed (love it) and was thinking of getting slicks but not sure if I need to upgrade to 1 piece drive shaft. Mods are CIA and o/r x pipe
I wouldn't say you NEED to. However, a one piece sure is beneficial. At the very least I'd say get some safety loops if u keep the stocker. I chose the DSS one and am very happy. Many good options out there.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post

I wouldn't say you NEED to. However, a one piece sure is beneficial. At the very least I'd say get some safety loops if u keep the stocker. I chose the DSS one and am very happy. Many good options out there.
Okay just wanted to get some advice. I'll probably get one because they're not too expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am in the same boat as you OP. I have a tune and cai. Dont want to do longtubes so the next bolt on upgrade would be.the dss. Only problem is is it worth it to pay 670 plus get an increase in drivetrain nvh for maybe .1 to .2 in the quarter mile? The stock two piece apparently quiets the nvh so I am still on the fence. I may end up buying it anyway in the end. Damn mod bug..
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post
I am in the same boat as you OP. I have a tune and cai. Dont want to do longtubes so the next bolt on upgrade would be.the dss. Only problem is is it worth it to pay 670 plus get an increase in drivetrain nvh for maybe .1 to .2 in the quarter mile? The stock two piece apparently quiets the nvh so I am still on the fence. I may end up buying it anyway in the end. Damn mod bug..
Yeah I know I'm going to need it in the long run but if it isn't necessary and it still is safe I would stay stock.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I actually had a DECREASE in NVH after swapping my DSS shaft in place of the stock 2-piece. Response was enhanced, and it pulls a bit better. My OEM shaft already had a tear in the coupler with only 32,000 miles on it, and strictly street tire use...
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I actually had a DECREASE in NVH after swapping my DSS shaft in place of the stock 2-piece. Response was enhanced, and it pulls a bit better. My OEM shaft already had a tear in the coupler with only 32,000 miles on it, and strictly street tire use...
Seems like everyone has great feedback for dss. Really only 32k?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_5.0 View Post
Seems like everyone has great feedback for dss. Really only 32k?
Yep, was pissed to see it, so it made my upgrade all the more justified.
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Wicked_5.0,

I don't know about you, but when I use slicks at the track I'm not exactly taking it easy that day. 6k rpm launches aren't abnormal for me at least haha.

Since it seems like you're going to be hitting the track often. I think a DSS one-piece DS is a smart idea. With those slicks, your stock DS can only take so much.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
$700 for 2 tenths is pretty cheap!
Can't wait to install mine....waiting for the rest of my parts to show and have an "install weekend!"
Troy
Btw, I paid a third of that price for a tow when I granaded my GTO's! 8v)
Old 11-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
$700 for 2 tenths is pretty cheap!
Can't wait to install mine....waiting for the rest of my parts to show and have an "install weekend!"
Troy
Btw, I paid a third of that price for a tow when I granaded my GTO's! 8v)
Idk about 2 tents but it isn't a bad idea

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT