MGW Short Throw Install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #1

Region: Texas
MGW Short Throw Install

Installed my MGW ST a few hours ago on my 14 GT and WOW it's like night and day.Sounds great feels great and it's machined very nicely! Install was as easy as the video from the website. 2nd to 3rd is nothing now! Any questions feel free to ask. Would 110% recommend to anyone wanting one!
Fiveoh14CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

It's by far my favorite mod on my car.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Another satisfied customer.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Same here OP. Got mine in yesterday as well. Unbelievable the difference a quality made piece makes compared to that cheap stock shifter/shifter bracket. Mgw should be a factory option. Smoother. More precision. No more nvh than stock.

I'm curious as to how many mt82 owners have switched to mgw or upgraded the shifter and or shifter bracket.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm so jealous. Mine has been home in its box for like 2 months now... Still waiting for my bro in law to make some time to help me install it I should of gone to school for mechanic!
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I'm so jealous. Mine has been home in its box for like 2 months now... Still waiting for my bro in law to make some time to help me install it I should of gone to school for mechanic!
It's really not that difficult. Take your time and follow the video posted on mgws website.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
It's really not that difficult. Take your time and follow the video posted on mgws website.
what this guy said!
Fiveoh14CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
I'm just not really confident.. I want to say I'm mechanically inclined because I work in HVAC, but I still think I'm a dumb azz half of the time I will try to do most of the shifter install myself because I want to "bond" with my car and modding it yourself is a big part of that but I really want my bro in law to be there to supervise and help if I need it.. and yes we'll definitely be guided by the MGW video.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I'm just not really confident.. I want to say I'm mechanically inclined because I work in HVAC, but I still think I'm a dumb azz half of the time I will try to do most of the shifter install myself because I want to "bond" with my car and modding it yourself is a big part of that but I really want my bro in law to be there to supervise and help if I need it.. and yes we'll definitely be guided by the MGW video.
I would say go for it and you'll realize it's not too bad. Give yourself a 3 hour window so you can go at a comfortable pace, watch the video and take breaks if need be. If you run into a small snag get on the forum and one of us will be more than glad to help ya.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Pullin the trigger on this too. This reuses the factory boot, right? Just need to buy the jam nut and collar?
Troy
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Pullin the trigger on this too. This reuses the factory boot, right? Just need to buy the jam nut and collar?
Troy
Yes, it reuses the boot. The jamb nut exposes more of the handle, it's strictly cosmetic.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thx.
Troy
Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It's time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131116_131905.png
Views:	265
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	136682
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mine arrives Monday. Can't wait
Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I posted on this before but like I said if you are going to do any mod to your Stang the most important is getting the mgw shifter
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Easily one of the best mods. Great piece of equipment that performs as advertised.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just ordered! Adding it to my growing pile!
Troy
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Easily one of the best mods. Great piece of equipment that performs as advertised.
I'm pretty sure they manufacture gun parts also. In definitely shows in the quality of craftsmanship. Good to see a mom&pop shop still in business these day's.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

MGW shifters MAKE you smile when you work them...........

Car is loosing grip in 3rd
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 11-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Just finished installing mine. Night and day difference! Can't understand why anyone who has installed one would say it's too notchy or loud. Different for sure, but such an improvement over stock.

My wife asked me, "Can't you ever leave well-enough alone?"

"Honey, if they built it right the first time...yes."
Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #21

Region: California
on my list

This is going to be a Christmas present to myself. At least I am hoping to make that happen. I am not sure I can install it myself mainly because I don't have ramps or jackstands and I think the car needs to be in the air for the install unless I watched the wrong video.

Anyway wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted feedback as this has really helped me make my decision.

Current
2012 Brembo GT
BBK Shorty Headers
Magna Flow Exhaust
Roush CAI

On the list for next year
Shifter - decided MGW
Suspension - deciding between steeda ultralights and eibach pro
Wheels - 19inch Motegi MR126 (maybe gonna stagger them)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130420_143727.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	137154
bdrec64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think the car needs to be in the air for the install unless I watched the wrong video
We did ours on jack stands. You def need jack stands or ramps though.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrec64 View Post
This is going to be a Christmas present to myself. At least I am hoping to make that happen. I am not sure I can install it myself mainly because I don't have ramps or jackstands and I think the car needs to be in the air for the install unless I watched the wrong video.

Anyway wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted feedback as this has really helped me make my decision.

Current
2012 Brembo GT
BBK Shorty Headers
Magna Flow Exhaust
Roush CAI

On the list for next year
Shifter - decided MGW
Suspension - deciding between steeda ultralights and eibach pro
Wheels - 19inch Motegi MR126 (maybe gonna stagger them)
Expect to pay 2hrs of labor. They need to watch the video, some parts are reused.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

By far my favorite mod! Love it.
Devildogstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Expect to pay 2hrs of labor. They need to watch the video, some parts are reused.
Thanks for TC. I need to find a friend here in so cal that has a garage or just drive it to my brothers in az and make it a family visit / upgrade my shifter visit
bdrec64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #26

A question for those of you who have had both the Hurst shifter and the MGW shifter. I had the Hurst shifters in my '06 GT and my '08 Shelby GT and they are positive feeling shifters, never miss a shift, but firm. How does the MGW compare to the feel of the Hurst shifter. Just bought a '14 GT and am looking at this for a first mod.. thanks for the responses...
Bretstang06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretstang06 View Post
A question for those of you who have had both the Hurst shifter and the MGW shifter. I had the Hurst shifters in my '06 GT and my '08 Shelby GT and they are positive feeling shifters, never miss a shift, but firm. How does the MGW compare to the feel of the Hurst shifter. Just bought a '14 GT and am looking at this for a first mod.. thanks for the responses...
If u do a search, Barton and MGW and the top 2 shifters for the MT82 manual trans. It's a totally different trans with a remote linkage, and that is the weak point of the trans which is the biggest problem. To answer your question of MGW vs Hurst, is like comparing Kia to Cadillac. Do yourself a favor and do it right

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Are*
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretstang06 View Post
Buy the MGW if you have the cash to do it. Happy with my $80 hurst but if I find a used MGW then it will be replaced immediately.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT