Change engine oil - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Ford added an extra quart to the 5.0 (8 quarts) and to the 3.7 (7 quarts) to allow extended oil life (up to 10K). To the OP; if you were not hard on the engine (A.K.A., doing "spirited" runs), then get it checked out. The oil monitor is pretty darn accurate. Most can easily see 8 to 10K between changes with the semi-synthetic, and longer with full synthetic.

The only problem with the oil monitor is that it has no idea as to what oil you are using (full verses semi synthetic), andn you cannot program the oil type being used. The oil monitor is programmed for semi-synthetic, and as mentioned, it has parameters built in to look at time, and driving type (stop/go, highway, RPM range, etc). All these play a part as to the "oil life" remaining.

If you use full synthetic, and want to go past the oil monitors recommended change parameters, you'll have to calculate the oil change manually, or reset the monitor around it's 50% reading.
My 11 3.7 only takes 6 quarts oil NOT 7. I wonder why yours takes 7 quarts? Hummmmmmmm! You really may want to look at why your dealership is putting in 7 quarts oil.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If it were my car I would change it. I check my oil weekly and it is a good habit to get into. Driving style and conditions can affect your oil.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
agreed!
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My local Ford service dealer told me that Ford uses a synthetic blend and recommends an oil change every 3-5K for my 2014 GT. I've never used synthetic or a blend before, just regular fossil fuels and I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles in every car I've ever owned. I also think its worth $30 to change oil as recommended by the manufacturer. Its cheap insurance.
Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT View Post
My local Ford service dealer told me that Ford uses a synthetic blend and recommends an oil change every 3-5K for my 2014 GT. I've never used synthetic or a blend before, just regular fossil fuels and I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles in every car I've ever owned. I also think its worth $30 to change oil as recommended by the manufacturer. Its cheap insurance.
Sounds good to me bro. Works for me.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I am to Old school...

I am just to old school to go 7500 miles on an oil change.
Lets say 15,000
At 7500 miles it would cost 64$
At 5000 miles it would cost 96$ ( extra 32$)
At 3000 miles it would cost 160$ (extra 96$)

Not checking your oil in between and getting a blown engine or messed up rings.
PRICELESS ...or about 8000$ for a used motor..

But really, Yes, you save maybe 96$ a year but then you damage your motor if you don’t look to see what dirt in the oil. Oil changes make you stop and look at what is going on with the car. Also Construction and or dirt roads have lots of road dust. It does get in the oil. I have seen it. Now for the do-it-yourselfer’s.. I have worked for a few OEM's and have worked with the engineers. ( I am not an engineer) They showed me in the lab....Oil filters really don’t need to be changed every 3000 miles. They are good for 10,000 miles (If not loaded with dirt). and they filter better after 1250 miles.
So for years I have changed the oil every 3000 - 4500 miles (I check the oil if looking and smeeling ok I push it a little), but only changed the filters every other oil change. This not only saves me a little money but it also makes it more of a reason to drop the oil without reason. I even tell me kids when they don’t change the oil like they should.
"You mean you can’t even so down for 10 minutes to undo the drain plug, drain oil, screw the plug in and add oil before you leave!" This was after I found out my daughter went 15,000 miles without changing oil and wondering why the car seemed to not run right?
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT