Change engine oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Change engine oil

Car says it's time for a change, however I changed it only 4,590 miles ago. Our 8 quart oil pans ahold allow 10k mile oil changes. I planned on doing it around 7. Do I trust the gauge and do it now?
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Check the manual, depending on driving style you can go anywhere from 5k - 10k miles before you change.

I had to check mine after calling bull***** when the dealership told me to come back at 7500
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know the recommendations, my gauge shows 10% oil life after only 4500 miles. Do I trust it or roll with the recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just take a look at your oil, if its dirty I would go ahead and change it. Imo sooner is better. I always change at 3000 miles, no dirty oil is gonna stay in my car
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Region: North Carolina
I believe there was an earlier TSB that addressed the reprogramming of the OLM. It was suppose to address the system cycling through the countdown too quickly. It is conceivable that you went through it in just under 5k though. Taking the advances in motor oil into mind, I take care of my car but no way am I am going to change it haphazardly.
sloppymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the OLM counts time too. If it's been over 9-10 months I would change it. There also is the possibility it was never reset. Mine is a toy about 6k year I do it every 9 months...opinions vary on this but if you do it this way it's 4 x in 3 years rather than th 3x that Ford suggests. The 1 extra change every 3 yrs makes me feel better and ain't excessive.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It was reset. Drive 1k miles a month. Oil change was just over 4 months ago.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Yea definitely take a look at the dipstick, I was around 4500k since my last oil change and I was about a qt low and oil was really dirty. So I just changed it
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Toy
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
Car says it's time for a change, however I changed it only 4,590 miles ago. Our 8 quart oil pans ahold allow 10k mile oil changes. I planned on doing it around 7. Do I trust the gauge and do it now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
I know the recommendations, my gauge shows 10% oil life after only 4500 miles. Do I trust it or roll with the recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
Just take a look at your oil, if its dirty I would go ahead and change it. Imo sooner is better. I always change at 3000 miles, no dirty oil is gonna stay in my car
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
Yea definitely take a look at the dipstick, I was around 4500k since my last oil change and I was about a qt low and oil was really dirty. So I just changed it

Look at the dipstick and see if it's dirty....lol. What a statement .

First off you should never have dirt in the motor as it will scar the cylinder walls and it's time to change the air filter. You can never see the dirt unless you have some kind of x ray vision which I'm doubting.

Second, do you know what oil Ford used when they did the 10k oil change interval. I doubt it. So that would mean you have no idea how the motor was used, load conditions (acceleration, stop and go, and on), humidity, elevation, cold start ups, hot start ups, and revving the motor in neutral because you think it sounds cool.

The oil that you drain out of the pan is not "bad" per say. The additives are only broken down and only in the upper 80% of the oil has been used. Oil is oil but different companies have different additives. There are only a few companies that make a full synthetic oil, the rest is a blend. That oil life guage is just a dummy guage and nothing more. I wouldn't go by it. I would have my oil analyzed by a lab. I send the oil in on my F250 and street bike. I will be doing the car soon. So before you tell someone to pull the dipstick and see if it's dirty, think if your even making sense to your self first. BTW, heat changes oil to the darker color.
Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I changed out at 1000 miles the first time and about 4500 every time since. My dealer charges $32.99 out the door for filter and oil. That's a bargin!
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstefek View Post
I changed out at 1000 miles the first time and about 4500 every time since. My dealer charges $32.99 out the door for filter and oil. That's a bargin!
Make sure ur dealer is adding the entire 8 qts!! Lol, that's a steal, they're literally losing money
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My dealer does every Ford vehicle they sell for that price! That's a great deal! They're not losing money, not making a lot either but it gets you into their dealership every few months.
wstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
When in doubt change it out. It's cheap insurance
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have the 8 quart fill in my GT too. With only 1900 miles on it the oil life monitor says 9%. I looked at the oil and it is light brown, no where close to black. Anyone run across a defective monitoring system, there's no way an oil change is needed imo.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Change engine oil

There is no "monitoring" of the oil real time. Just a timer based on miles.

It was never set right from the get go.

Just change the oil based on the recommendations in the manual based on driving habits/environment.

Then reset the oil life per the manual at that time.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

George, as I said B4 the OLM will count in storage, if the car has been sitting on the lot for close to a year it is possible it needs a change. If that is the case I would change it out but I would plead my case to the dealer for a freebie. Just make sure they change the oil and don't just reset the OLM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Just change it every 5k. If you plan keeping that car that is. If you dont really care, follow the OLM.

Semi blend at the Ford dealership I work at is only 29.95 for a change. No brainer imo.
ksnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Change engine oil

😳 my dealership offers $12.95 as long as I own the car!
zeus.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys stupid question but should I check the oil level wen the engine os warm or cold?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mattthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegreat View Post
Hey guys stupid question but should I check the oil level wen the engine os warm or cold?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Cold
zeus.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
cold... easier to read as the oil will be kinda dark..
if its hot or warm.. then the oil is all throughout the engine....
if you just drove let the car sit for a bit so all the oil drains back down then check it.. hope that makes sense...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I just changed the oil in my 14 GT for the first time last week and I had 4,700+ miles on the car and the OLM was at 43%. My car was built in Feb. 2013 and sat on the dealer's lot for 6 months before I bought it. I think the OLM was at 97-98 % when I bought the car.

Wayne
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I was wondering, my dealer wants me to bring mine in every 3,000 miles for an oil change and every other change, rotate the tires. It costs 53.00 for an oil change there. They said I need to do that for the warranty. I don't understand why it has to be done so often for the warranty when the manual says a lot more miles (cant remember exactly) but are the just BS'ing me or is that required for the warranty. Also, mine was used and was no bought at a ford dealership. The oil was only changed one time so far and they did know to put 8 quarts in and they use cam 2 or something like that. My dad told me he always changed oil on his cars his self with a warranty, I thought you could not change it yourself and have a warranty. I have always changed my own oil but I also never had a warranty. Thanks guys.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
I was wondering, my dealer wants me to bring mine in every 3,000 miles for an oil change and every other change, rotate the tires. It costs 53.00 for an oil change there. They said I need to do that for the warranty. I don't understand why it has to be done so often for the warranty when the manual says a lot more miles (cant remember exactly) but are the just BS'ing me or is that required for the warranty. Also, mine was used and was no bought at a ford dealership. The oil was only changed one time so far and they did know to put 8 quarts in and they use cam 2 or something like that. My dad told me he always changed oil on his cars his self with a warranty, I thought you could not change it yourself and have a warranty. I have always changed my own oil but I also never had a warranty. Thanks guys.
They're just trying to bully you into spending more money. There is no need to change the oil at 3000 miles and if you want to do it yourself go ahead and do it. I'm also not a believer in tire rotations.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Only reason you would change oil that much is if you were running e85.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Change engine oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
They're just trying to bully you into spending more money. There is no need to change the oil at 3000 miles and if you want to do it yourself go ahead and do it. I'm also not a believer in tire rotations.

On my vehicles, I used to just move my back tires to the front, buy new back tires and wait until the front ones needed to be replaced and do that all over again. I now rotate tires on my vehicles. Reason being, I got caught on one car doing that. The manufacturer stopped making my tires. Now I have two tires with quite a bit of life left but I will be purchasing four instead of two because I want all of my tires to match.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

If you do take your car to a Ford dealer, make sure you bring in "The Works" coupon. Sometimes they mail them to you, or you can download them from the website. They are always available.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I think we should all just change the oil every 1,000 mile intervals. That way you keep it super fresh !
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I firmly believe in changing my oil every 3000 miles. Guarantees there's no dirty junk in my motor. My dad has a 99 super duty with the 5.4 and has changed the oil every 3000 miles since he bought it and its close to topping 300, 000 miles. Which I think is quite impressive, we've yet to replace anything but an altenator and a few coil packs then just routine maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post
I firmly believe in changing my oil every 3000 miles. Guarantees there's no dirty junk in my motor. My dad has a 99 super duty with the 5.4 and has changed the oil every 3000 miles since he bought it and its close to topping 300, 000 miles. Which I think is quite impressive, we've yet to replace anything but an altenator and a few coil packs then just routine maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Could of easily gone 5k oil change intervals and still have 300k miles and no issues.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 AM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Has anyone here ever had an oil related problem with any of their cars? Probably not. An acquaintance of mine had a Volvo and never changed the oil. He just added more when it needed it. It had over 100K miles when he sold it.

Motor oil is so over hyped it's insane. That being said, I do use Amsoil Signature, and change it every year.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnapp View Post
Just change it every 5k. If you plan keeping that car that is. If you dont really care, follow the OLM.

Semi blend at the Ford dealership I work at is only 29.95 for a change. No brainer imo.
Ford added an extra quart to the 5.0 (8 quarts) and to the 3.7 (7 quarts) to allow extended oil life (up to 10K). To the OP; if you were not hard on the engine (A.K.A., doing "spirited" runs), then get it checked out. The oil monitor is pretty darn accurate. Most can easily see 8 to 10K between changes with the semi-synthetic, and longer with full synthetic.

The only problem with the oil monitor is that it has no idea as to what oil you are using (full verses semi synthetic), andn you cannot program the oil type being used. The oil monitor is programmed for semi-synthetic, and as mentioned, it has parameters built in to look at time, and driving type (stop/go, highway, RPM range, etc). All these play a part as to the "oil life" remaining.

If you use full synthetic, and want to go past the oil monitors recommended change parameters, you'll have to calculate the oil change manually, or reset the monitor around it's 50% reading.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The 3.7 does not take 7 quarts it takes 6 qt. dont want anyone over filling there cars with oil!
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on 6 qts in the 3.7
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Also more oil doesn't mean longer oil life, because all new ford say u can go 7.5k safely in the owners manual for oil change and fusions, edges, etc take any where from 4-6.5 qt. the reason u can go long between service intervals in todays time is due to motors have less friction due to materials and clearance in builds and also cause today oil is so refined with additives and cleaners
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT