c&l cold air intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
c&l cold air intake

just wondering if anyone has the c&l cai for the 2013 gt, i was gonna go air aid from american muscle because I'm not ready for a tune yet (dealer trying to screw me out of my warranty) but the air aid seems to have a lot of problems with water getting in the intake….. just wondering if the c&l would be better
Kurt_5ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The best one is the one that came stock on your car. Trust me you will see no improvement.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
As grabber said, the OEM intake works well. The only reason to get an aftermarket CAI is for looks, and sucking sound. You will gain a little more HP, but only if you have a tune for it. If you're not getting a tune, stick with the OEM. Here's my C&L:

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There's an AEM conical CAI that comes with an enclosed compartment. Made of metal. Have to think it heat soaks a bit more than the stock plastic. But does flow more tho. But a stocker with just bolt ons won't need much more than the stock air box.

Only thing with the aftermarket CAI is better throttle response I suppose. And sound. But the enclosed AEM won't have the intake induction sound like an open CAI.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ok, I've now seen this mentioned a few times that cai's don't improve over stock. How do all the videos show horsepower gains with them? Any info wld b appreciated since I'm planning to get one for Christmas!!! I'm planning on getting the JLT race cai that requires a tune. It has the enlarged maf. Will the stock air box really perform as well?
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The best one is the one that came stock on your car. Trust me you will see no improvement.
c&l claims that the cai without a tune will add up to 8hp don't know if thats true or not, only reason I'm going tuneless for now is because my dealer is giving me problems with the warranty…

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

does anyone know if the dealer could tell you had an aftermarket tune on your car if you returned it to the stock tune with the bama tuner?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It would seem to me that if u put it bk to stock and tell them a code popped up so u had autozone or someone clear it (causing the drive cycle ) u shld b good

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

I swapped mine out so many times on my 07 I cld do it in 15 minutes including the tune..... Lol
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
It would seem to me that if u put it bk to stock and tell them a code popped up so u had autozone or someone clear it (causing the drive cycle ) u shld b good

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

I swapped mine out so many times on my 07 I cld do it in 15 minutes including the tune..... Lol
the service manager at the dealer keeps telling me that as soon as he plugs my car up to his computer he can see every tune thats been done to it and every code thrown , don't know if thats true or not

south west florida area-estero, fort myers
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I've read that the only tuner that won't leave a footprint is the Diablo inTune. I'm not sure if anyone has tested it with a dealer. If you are worried about your warranty, it's best not to tune.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
SMH, I'm done wasting my breath.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, I've now seen this mentioned a few times that cai's don't improve over stock. How do all the videos show horsepower gains with them? Any info wld b appreciated since I'm planning to get one for Christmas!!! I'm planning on getting the JLT race cai that requires a tune. It has the enlarged maf. Will the stock air box really perform as well?
The videos you're watching are on the dyno with the hood open. Plus they're done in perfect weather conditions. Not exactly a fair test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_5ohh View Post
c&l claims that the cai without a tune will add up to 8hp don't know if thats true or not, only reason I'm going tuneless for now is because my dealer is giving me problems with the warranty…

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

does anyone know if the dealer could tell you had an aftermarket tune on your car if you returned it to the stock tune with the bama tuner?
Returning it to stock will do you no good with the flash counter. They will know.
Quote:

Wrong. Returning to stock will not help.
Quote:
the service manager at the dealer keeps telling me that as soon as he plugs my car up to his computer he can see every tune thats been done to it and every code thrown , don't know if thats true or not
He is correct.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The videos you're watching are on the dyno with the hood open. Plus they're done in perfect weather conditions. Not exactly a fair test.

Returning it to stock will do you no good with the flash counter. They will know.

Wrong. Returning to stock will not help.

He is correct.
thanks for the help!

south west florida area-estero, fort myers
Old 11-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I've never had to take it in to dealer do it seemed to me that would wrk. I stand corrected
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also, the stock pulls were done in exact same conditions. So if both pulls are done in set the same conditions the increase should b valid. Under less than perfect conditions u wldnt see the same results for the cai but the stock numbers wld b lower as well.... All things being equal, crappy weather or perfect, if there's an increase in power then the cai is better, correct? Jst trying to figure this out b4 I blow $ unnecessarily.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Stay with the stock CAI, if you want better looks, or sound, aftermarket is good, HP gains are negligible without a tune. But the looks & sound don't justify 300-500 for me, at least for a CAI.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Stay with the stock CAI, if you want better looks, or sound, aftermarket is good, HP gains are negligible without a tune. But the looks & sound don't justify 300-500 for me, at least for a CAI.
Correct. Search in the 2011+ section and search air filters? There is a thread called air filters? Worth the read if your considering the buy of a cai. Don't get me wrong. I will one day have one. But either a 75% off one or a used one from Craigslist. They look good. Sound good. But do not perform "better" than a regular stock filter.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Correct. Search in the 2011+ section and search air filters? There is a thread called air filters? Worth the read if your considering the buy of a cai. Don't get me wrong. I will one day have one. But either a 75% off one or a used one from Craigslist. They look good. Sound good. But do not perform "better" than a regular stock filter.
I think I was the guy who started that thread...

I'll eventually get a K&N, but not for a while.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I think I was the guy who started that thread... I'll eventually get a K&N, but not for a while.
you were. Just quoted you to say correct. Then the rest if for Ian
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
you were. Just quoted you to say correct. Then the rest if for Ian
I figured that. I wasn't meaning anything towards you, just simply stating that.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Roush CAI is just over $200 cheap for a nice look and sound.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I had planned on getting the race cai which requires a tune.... With the enlarged maf. Does that make a difference?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had planned on getting the race cai which requires a tune.... With the enlarged maf. Does that make a difference?
NO!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So it's better to keep stock airbox throw in a k&n panel filter and get a tune? Having cai with the tuner b no improvement?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Good lord you're thick headed. Stick with the stock air box and the stock filter. There are no gains even with a K&N filter. Just get a GOOD tune.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just wondering if anyone has the c&l cai for the 2013 gt, i was gonna go air aid from american muscle because I'm not ready for a tune yet (dealer trying to screw me out of my warranty) but the air aid seems to have a lot of problems with water getting in the intake….. just wondering if the c&l would be better
I just recently dyno tuned my car with airaid cai and lethal performance or x pipe. We did multiple dyno pulls and I made 12 whp from the cai alone
Wicked_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_5.0 View Post
I just recently dyno tuned my car with airaid cai and lethal performance or x pipe. We did multiple dyno pulls and I made 12 whp from the cai alone
So you did a pull with the stock intake, put on the Airraid intake and with no changes and made 12 horsepower? Post up the results but frankly be ready to be called out.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Just get the friggin K&N CAI dude lol. It's looks cool under the hood. There are negligible gains but f it. Most everyone gets one anyways just get it out of the way trollolololol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you did a pull with the stock intake, put on the Airraid intake and with no changes and made 12 horsepower? Post up the results but frankly be ready to be called out.
You got it right bud. Went to Shaun at aed.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Post up the sheets so we can look at them.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Tell him to run the CAI with the hood closed
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
And without a giant fan blowing on the car.................
Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

All pulls were open hood and I don't plan on going back to do a pull with the hood closed
Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All pulls were open hood and I don't plan on going back to do a pull with the hood closed
Do you drive around with the hood open? Because that makes a big difference you know.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And without a giant fan blowing on the car.................
You don't really understand how numbers work do you? It's not how high the number is but the gains in the same conditions
Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't really understand how numbers work do you? It's not how high the number is but the gains in the same conditions
Yes I absolutely know how they work. Besides dyno numbers mean jack squat to me. Track testing is what I'm more interested in. Still waiting on those dyno sheets that were minutes apart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cold air intake