Finally pulled the trigger on a tune.. - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

Ummm...My car make more than that without a tune...
Konas gotta sixer. That would be why
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
Konas gotta sixer. That would be why
Ok, I was confused...I was starting to think he had a 4.6...that makes sense. Guess I was confused because this is the GT page...
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Ok, I was confused...I was starting to think he had a 4.6...that makes sense. Guess I was confused because this is the GT page...
I believe Kona actually gets mixed up as a GT user a lot but nope, just a really diligent and fast 3.7'er, haha.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I believe Kona actually gets mixed up as a GT user a lot but nope, just a really diligent and fast 3.7'er, haha.
LOL
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

LOL
Hahaha. Hopefully this doesn't create another Mustang Evolution battle. Konas got a nice ride regardless of the motor.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Hahaha. Hopefully this doesn't create another Mustang Evolution battle. Konas got a nice ride regardless of the motor.
ME Battle?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Evil, did you get the tune installed? I lost track with all the off topic crap. I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger too, even tho the car will sit the next 5mons.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Evil, did you get the tune installed? I lost track with all the off topic crap. I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger too, even tho the car will sit the next 5mons.
Yeah man, got it loaded last week. Very happy with the results. Definitely feel a good difference in throttle response, and more power in the mid-upper range. Idles perfect. My only concern is the fans running so much. I talked to steeda and they said its supposed to be that way so they can keep engine temps down in order to run more timing. My fans literally come on the second i pull up to a red light or something, even after doing 70+ mph on a highway in 25 degree weather. Im worried its going to cause premature wear on the fan motors. Since its my first tune, im not sure if other tuners use the same method. Other than that couldn't be happier. Fast shipping, excellent service. Ordered my x pipe yesterday, so they are going to email revisions for that.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Nice
JonathanMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Yeah man, got it loaded last week. Very happy with the results. Definitely feel a good difference in throttle response, and more power in the mid-upper range. Idles perfect. My only concern is the fans running so much. I talked to steeda and they said its supposed to be that way so they can keep engine temps down in order to run more timing. My fans literally come on the second i pull up to a red light or something, even after doing 70+ mph on a highway in 25 degree weather. Im worried its going to cause premature wear on the fan motors. Since its my first tune, im not sure if other tuners use the same method. Other than that couldn't be happier. Fast shipping, excellent service. Ordered my x pipe yesterday, so they are going to email revisions for that.
Awl hell. I ordered my x-pipe today. If I remember correctly you got the steeda high flow cats?? You gunna do the install yourself??
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. I had my last car tuned by BBR, the fans did the same on it too. You can adjust it with the tuner, but I was afraid to mess with it.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Awl hell. I ordered my x-pipe today. If I remember correctly you got the steeda high flow cats?? You gunna do the install yourself??
Yeah i got the steeda high flow x. My buddy works at a ford dealer so i have access to a lift, so yeah definitely gonna do the install myself. I splurge yesterday haha. Picked up the x pipe, Barton shifter, and supersnake matte black stripe kit. Gonna attempt to finish it all next Sunday haha. Im praying my buddy and I can get the vinyl on straight lol

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks. I had my last car tuned by BBR, the fans did the same on it too. You can adjust it with the tuner, but I was afraid to mess with it.
Im the same way. I thought about adjusting it, but figured they are the professionals, so it's probably set the way it is for a reason hahaha.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Looking forward to seeing the stripes.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Be careful with those stripes, decal shops don't charge out the *** just because they can. My dad's buddy who he grew up with has been tinting/decals cars for 20+ years and he charges $500-$600 for stripes (with his own vinyl, don't know how much if I were to bring him a kit), but it usually takes him 1-2 full days. I obviously know him very well and he's not the one to rip people off and does excellent work.

But good to see everything is working out and I wish I could of splurged! Maybe on Cyber Monday.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the stripes.
+1 I was in the fence forever about doing white but ended up not doing it. Really thinking hard about doing a cervini's 4" cowl with the tax return.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Be careful with those stripes, decal shops don't charge out the *** just because they can. My dad's buddy who he grew up with has been tinting/decals cars for 20+ years and he charges $500-$600 for stripes (with his own vinyl, don't know how much if I were to bring him a kit), but it usually takes him 1-2 full days. I obviously know him very well and he's not the one to rip people off and does excellent work.

But good to see everything is working out and I wish I could of splurged! Maybe on Cyber Monday.
Oh trust me im nervous as hell about it. I've always done my own installs, everything from simple installs to motor swaps, and ive never been more nervous about it than i am these stripes lol.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

I do a LOT of work mechanical and artistic, and was ready to install the stripes on my son's GT, but after watching a pro do it, I am glad I paid, because I don't think I could'a pulled it off perfectly. I watched him do the whole thing and he had a lot of tricks of the trade that I wouldn't have thought of.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
I do a LOT of work mechanical and artistic, and was ready to install the stripes on my son's GT, but after watching a pro do it, I am glad I paid, because I don't think I could'a pulled it off perfectly. I watched him do the whole thing and he had a lot of tricks of the trade that I wouldn't have thought of.
Liiiiiiikeeeee? Lmao
Detailed descriptions of these tricks, would be much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Instead of measuring to get centerlines, he used tape to go edge to edge, then made a crease when he folded it in half.

He would use different widths of pinstripe tape to keep gaps.

After you squeegee the water out of the stripes, let the paper stand on them for at least 30min before peeling it off and when peeling it, fold it clear back on itself so you are NOT pulling upwards. Instead you are pulling level with the surface.

Trim the paper to the edge of the stripe so you can line things up more accurately

Have your heat gun on low
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Instead of measuring to get centerlines, he used tape to go edge to edge, then made a crease when he folded it in half.

He would use different widths of pinstripe tape to keep gaps.

After you squeegee the water out of the stripes, let the paper stand on them for at least 30min before peeling it off and when peeling it, fold it clear back on itself so you are NOT pulling upwards. Instead you are pulling level with the surface.

Trim the paper to the edge of the stripe so you can line things up more accurately

Have your heat gun on low
Ahhh all very very good tips. Thanks man. I never would have thought of using a crease in the tape to get a centerline. At what point of the hood did he measure from? The top, bottom or middle? Also using pinstripe tape to keep gaps even is another great tip. Since the super snake is basically one big center line, and two side pinstripes, i will definitely use the crease method to lay out my center, and then use the thin tape to even out my gaps for the pinstripes. Been watching a few youtube videos and so far ive gathered i will need the following:
Vinyl, squeegees, bottle of soap/water, different width tapes, measuring tape, exacto knife, blow dryer for a heat gun, rubbing alcohol to prep surface, and plenty of clean towels. Anything im missing?

Heres a good video i watched

Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Oh! big one, go to Oreillys (only place that carries it he said) get 3M adhesive remover spray. Use this to wipe down the area to remove your wax where your stripes will go. Spray it on and wipe with a lint free cloth. He then wipes down with the water/soap mixture too. he said alcohol sucks. Dont use it. Use the 3M spray

He measured from edge of the hood at the top and the bottom with the crease tape method. He then had a tiny piece of masking type tape placed above and below that to scribe a pencil marking the center line.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh! big one, go to Oreillys (only place that carries it he said) get 3M adhesive remover spray. Use this to wipe down the area to remove your wax where your stripes will go. Spray it on and wipe with a lint free cloth. He then wipes down with the water/soap mixture too. he said alcohol sucks. Dont use it. Use the 3M spray

He measured from edge of the hood at the top and the bottom with the crease tape method. He then had a tiny piece of masking type tape placed above and below that to scribe a pencil marking the center line.
Good deal! Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Deerslayer, is this the stuff you were talking about? We don't have any oreillys in northern va, but i found this at the autozone up the street.
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...259z?id=189453
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Thats it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Good luck. Take some pics. Flat black on black looks awesome.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Good luck. Take some pics. Flat black on black looks awesome.
Awesome. Ill go pick some up tomorrow. We will be installing them on Sunday. Hopefully they dont turn out toooo bad lol. Thanks for all the help man.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Take your time, use plenty of water to get them where you need them and work your way from the center outward. They will look great.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I just got my gt and the guy I bought it from had a diablo tuner for it . I've never had a car that I had to do this with so now I'm nervous because no one mentioned them in this thread . Are the diablos junk tuners ? Should I junk it and get a steeda ? It's in storage now but when I pull it out I'll have to put the tune into it . The prOblem I have now it I'm not sure the original tune is on the diablo . I'm going to there web site to find any info I can
Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottad3 View Post
I just got my gt and the guy I bought it from had a diablo tuner for it . I've never had a car that I had to do this with so now I'm nervous because no one mentioned them in this thread . Are the diablos junk tuners ? Should I junk it and get a steeda ? It's in storage now but when I pull it out I'll have to put the tune into it . The prOblem I have now it I'm not sure the original tune is on the diablo . I'm going to there web site to find any info I can
Your tuner will load the same email tunes an sct tuner will. Most ppl go with sct because the majority of dyno guys use them to tune with. Steeda can write you an email tune for your Diablo.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I've been reading all I can and I'm not getting to far yet . I have decided that come spring I'm taking it to a tuner and have them work out what's going on then go from there
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottad3 View Post
Well, I've been reading all I can and I'm not getting to far yet . I have decided that come spring I'm taking it to a tuner and have them work out what's going on then go from there
Is the car having issue's?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

No it's not . The guy I bought it from didn't have any idea what all has been done to it so now I don't either . And from what I have read you need all that info to get a good tune on it with the hand held tuners . I just want to make sure when I pull it out in the spring I have all the info I need to proceed and get the car running the way it should

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT