Finally pulled the trigger on a tune.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Finally pulled the trigger on a tune..

Well I've been putting off getting a tune for quite some time now, just because I didn't want to void my warranty to soon. Especially considering it's my daily driver. But after hearing all the great things about the Steeda tunes, especially how safe they are, coupled with their excellent customer service and willingness to fight Ford if they need to, i pulled the trigger. Not to mention free tunes for life now as well. Car has 16,000 miles on it already... And runs like a champ, but its nice to have that kind of peace of mind in your tuners customer service.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
She's going to pull even more like a beast after!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
She's going to pull even more like a beast after!
Im pumped man. Been wanting one for ever. Did a lot of research. Been awhile since I've bought a mod, and needed that "new part" "more performance" feeling again lol

Gonna hold off on any CAI though... As i know the stocker flows just as well if not better than any aftermarket.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm definitely going to save a copy of the stock tune as well.... As I've heard so many horror stories of cars getting bricked during uploading. Im not all to familiar with tuning/datalogging/etc., so if anybody could provide me with a walk through or instructions on how to save my stock tune, that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Awesome! I'm still gonna wait a bit since I'm only a month or so in it and less than 2000 miles. Def gonna do it in the future. What's this about Steeda being willing to fight ford if there are any issues?
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsvt View Post
Awesome! I'm still gonna wait a bit since I'm only a month or so in it and less than 2000 miles. Def gonna do it in the future. What's this about Steeda being willing to fight ford if there are any issues?
From what I've read, and heard from Steeda is that they will back you, IF a problem were to arise with the manufacturer warranty. Meaning if a dealer tries to deny you work because of your tune, steeda will battle them to prove the tune did not cause the failure. Steeda has an excellent track record, and i haven't heard of a single issue with their tunes, but its nice to hear that either way. Not to mention Steeda has a very close relationship, and even builds cars for ford, with these same tunes, fully warrantied.

I honestly feel very safe in going with Steeda. Only thing im worried about is the SCT tuner... As I've heard a few horror stories about the car being bricked.

Can anyone suggest the absolute safest way to avoid this? Can i actually save a backup copy of my stock tune on my computer without "dumping" it from the tuner, as I've read that once you take the file of the tuner, it cannot be reloaded. And that i would have to contact SCT for a new stock tune.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks for that info. I'm interested to hear the answer to your question as well!
Jsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsvt View Post
Thanks for that info. I'm interested to hear the answer to your question as well!
Hopefully some tuning experts will chime im haha. Im gonna call steeda in the morning with a few more questions. I'll report back.

Like i said, i feel real comfortable with the tune... Just wanna cover my butt with the SCT as well, as from what ivr heard tends to cause 98% of the problems out there.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: California
Just follow the intrusions and DONT UNPLUG IT WHILE ITS UPLOADING THE TUNE!
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Just follow the intrusions and DONT UNPLUG IT WHILE ITS UPLOADING THE TUNE!
Haha for sure. I believe I've read your previous threads/posts about that.

Rule #1 dont unplug while downloading
Rule #2 Always return to stock before updated firmware
Rule #3 always return to stock before changing tunes

Any other tips?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Just follow the intrusions and DONT UNPLUG IT WHILE ITS UPLOADING THE TUNE! Lol
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just follow the intrusions and DONT UNPLUG IT WHILE ITS UPLOADING THE TUNE! Lol
Lol.. Just curious... How did you get your issue resolved?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What do u mean updating firmware? When, where, how, and why would u do this? Do u mean updates from ford?
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
What do u mean updating firmware? When, where, how, and why would u do this? Do u mean updates from ford?
Nope. Upgrading the software for the SCT tuner.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Oh ok, is that something u have to do often with sct? I've never used them b4. I had a diablo predator for my 07 but I dnt think I ever had to do any updates like that. I'm considering the wireless sct that connects to iPhone/ipad. Hope that doesn't cause a problem.
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Lol.. Just curious... How did you get your issue resolved?
Umm I never had a problem with my tuner lol. I think your think if someone else lol.
But yes you should update the software. I had to do it recently. I just went to the SCT website and it has the latest one there for you to download.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Umm I never had a problem with my tuner lol. I think your think if someone else lol.
But yes you should update the software. I had to do it recently. I just went to the SCT website and it has the latest one there for you to download.
Yeah must have confused you with someone else. I just remember reading a thread about someone who disconnected the cable while downloading... Hahaha figured it was you since you mentioned it.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yeah must have confused you with someone else. I just remember reading a thread about someone who disconnected the cable while downloading... Hahaha figured it was you since you mentioned it.
lol nah I never did that but that IS how people mess the tune up. It erases your ecu I think
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Give us a review when you get it loaded. I plan to do the same in the spring.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I can answer any questions you have using the SCT. I've never updated my tuner and never had any problems. Also when switching between tunes there's no need to go back to stock unless you're switching tuners. Always switch between tunes at home and if possible have a trickle charger on it when you're doing it. And keep all accessories off. Once you've loaded the tune into the car it's a good idea to save the stock tune onto your laptop or computer. It's very easy.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

.^ +1 on the charger. My 05 gave me fits til I hooked a charger up, I even put a new battery in thinking it was bad.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Hopefully some tuning experts will chime im haha. Im gonna call steeda in the morning with a few more questions. I'll report back. Like i said, i feel real comfortable with the tune... Just wanna cover my butt with the SCT as well, as from what ivr heard tends to cause 98% of the problems out there.
Wouldn't say I'm an expert but I feel pretty acknowledge about the situation. I also have a good email from jayman33 about the best things to look for in data logging. You got my number brother. I feel like I owe you one since you helped me with my suspension.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I can answer any questions you have using the SCT. I've never updated my tuner and never had any problems. Also when switching between tunes there's no need to go back to stock unless you're switching tuners. Always switch between tunes at home and if possible have a trickle charger on it when you're doing it. And keep all accessories off. Once you've loaded the tune into the car it's a good idea to save the stock tune onto your laptop or computer. It's very easy.
Awesome. But if i save the stock tune to my computer, does that pull it off the SCT? Or will it just copy it, and still have a usable copy on the SCT as well?

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Give us a review when you get it loaded. I plan to do the same in the spring.
Will do!

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Wouldn't say I'm an expert but I feel pretty acknowledge about the situation. I also have a good email from jayman33 about the best things to look for in data logging. You got my number brother. I feel like I owe you one since you helped me with my suspension.
Will do man, thanks!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Awesome. But if i save the stock tune to my computer, does that pull it off the SCT? Or will it just copy it, and still have a usable copy on the SCT as well?
No, all you're doing is saving a copy onto your computer.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
No, all you're doing is saving a copy onto your computer.
Good deal. Thanks man
Old 11-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
There are horror stories out there of people's car's being bricked so good thing you did your homework on that (props to you). You pretty much nailed it, backup your stock file, be [very] cautious when updating your device. As you've probably read, sometimes bugs will slip through releases and cause problems such as freezing while downloading a tune to your ECU.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
There are horror stories out there of people's car's being bricked so good thing you did your homework on that (props to you). You pretty much nailed it, backup your stock file, be [very] cautious when updating your device. As you've probably read, sometimes bugs will slip through releases and cause problems such as freezing while downloading a tune to your ECU.
Yeah for sure.. From what ive read, it doesn't really even seem necessary to update the device, unless I get a new tune, in which case i would obviously revert back to stock before hand. Is that correct?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I've changed tunes many times and never returned to stock, never heard you were supposed to. I even erased my stock tune not knowing what it was.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I've changed tunes many times and never returned to stock, never heard you were supposed to. I even erased my stock tune not knowing what it was.
Thats good to hear. What tune are you running now man?

Seems like the issues with the SCT arise more with the 13-14s then the 11-12s
Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thats good to hear. What tune are you running now man?

Seems like the issues with the SCT arise more with the 13-14s then the 11-12s
Sorry, I was referring to my 05.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

So I called steeda today, and talked with them a bit. I told them I wanted a day or so to decide what octane i want to run. What would the tuning experts recommend. The car is a daily driver, so longevity of the engine is my main concern. However, i know the 93 Octane tune will make more power, but will it do so safely? Will the added timing wear things down quicker, since it is more aggressive? Would you recommend the 91 instead?

Also say i get stuck out somewhere with no 93 available, will the car still automatically pull timing if im forced to run 91 like it does stock?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
So I called steeda today, and talked with them a bit. I told them I wanted a day or so to decide what octane i want to run. What would the tuning experts recommend. The car is a daily driver, so longevity of the engine is my main concern. However, i know the 93 Octane tune will make more power, but will it do so safely? Will the added timing wear things down quicker, since it is more aggressive? Would you recommend the 91 instead? Also say i get stuck out somewhere with no 93 available, will the car still automatically pull timing if im forced to run 91 like it does stock?
keep the tuner in your car and have different tunes for crappy gas just in case
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
keep the tuner in your car and have different tunes for crappy gas just in case
Well thats an option, but i would prefer to tune at my home only, just incase i have issues. In stock form, the motor will automatically adjust and pull timing in the case of bad gas... Just wondering if that feature is still on with steedas tuning.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
So I called steeda today, and talked with them a bit. I told them I wanted a day or so to decide what octane i want to run. What would the tuning experts recommend. The car is a daily driver, so longevity of the engine is my main concern. However, i know the 93 Octane tune will make more power, but will it do so safely? Will the added timing wear things down quicker, since it is more aggressive? Would you recommend the 91 instead?

Also say i get stuck out somewhere with no 93 available, will the car still automatically pull timing if im forced to run 91 like it does stock?
To answer your last question; No, [never] fill up with an octane rated below what your car is currently tuned to. However, you can fill up with an octane rated higher than what your car is currently tuned to. I.e., say you're running the 91 tune. No 91 octane gas in the area? 93 would be safe. 93 tune with only 91 gas in the area? No.

I'd also like to hear your first questions answered as well.

I'd recommend 87 or 89 Street, 89 Performance, and 91 or 93 Race tunes. Going on a long road trip? Tune to 87 Street and put 87 in to save $ on gas, you won't be racing anyone. Want some added power without having a high gas bill every month? 89 Performance is a good happy-medium. 91 or 93 race' every now and then for some fun. That's how I thought out my tunes.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

To answer your last question; No, [never] fill up with an octane rated below what your car is currently tuned to. However, you can fill up with an octane rated higher than what your car is currently tuned to. I.e., say you're running the 91 tune. No 91 octane gas in the area? 93 would be safe. 93 tune with only 91 gas in the area? No.

I'd also like to hear your first questions answered as well.

I'd recommend 87 or 89 Street, 89 Performance, and 91 or 93 Race tunes. Going on a long road trip? Tune to 87 Street and put 87 in to save $ on gas, you won't be racing anyone. Want some added power without having a high gas bill every month? 89 Performance is a good happy-medium. 91 or 93 race' every now and then for some fun. That's how I thought out my tunes.
Good advice. Thanks. I talked to steeda today and told them to go with the 93 Octane.... But i can always call and request them to send me 91 and 89 tunes as well correct? Since i have free tuning for life. Also, i know you can only have 3 tunes on the SCT at a time, so do i just keep the others stored on my laptop? And transfer back and forth as needed?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT