RPM drop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
RPM drop

After a cold start and letting the engine warm up until the RPMs settle, I noticed that occasionally my RPMs will drop to the point where the engine almost stalls on the FIRST time I hit the gas. If I let off it comes back, and then I don't have the problem anymore after that. It only ever happens on the first time I hit the gas. Does anyone know what would cause this or what I should do about it? Temperature outside doesn't seem to change the issue.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
After a cold start and letting the engine warm up until the RPMs settle, I noticed that occasionally my RPMs will drop to the point where the engine almost stalls on the FIRST time I hit the gas. If I let off it comes back, and then I don't have the problem anymore after that. It only ever happens on the first time I hit the gas. Does anyone know what would cause this or what I should do about it? Temperature outside doesn't seem to change the issue.
Hmmm only when your first start it up? I'd start with cleaning maf, iac, possibly TB, run some seafoam, see if that helps.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Are you tuned? I always allow my car to run until the rpms drop before I move but it never gets that low. When I first crank up it's around 1,200-1,300 and then it drops to around 900-1,000. That's when I roll out.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

If you are tuned it could be that your idle is set too low.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Mine does the same thing!! Can't figure it out either! I'm curious what might be the cause as well.
Magua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Are you tuned? I always allow my car to run until the rpms drop before I move but it never gets that low. When I first crank up it's around 1,200-1,300 and then it drops to around 900-1,000. That's when I roll out.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

If you are tuned it could be that your idle is set too low.
No tune, stock as stock can be pretty much. I do what you do, let the car warm up and the rpms will settle around 900 at idle. When I go to roll out they drop really low when I hit the gas. Obviously the first reaction is to let off and it comes back, and then it works perfectly fine after that.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No tune, stock as stock can be pretty much. I do what you do, let the car warm up and the rpms will settle around 900 at idle. When I go to roll out they drop really low when I hit the gas. Obviously the first reaction is to let off and it comes back, and then it works perfectly fine after that.
I'm clueless but Ford will probably say it's "normal"
Old 11-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I contacted my dealer yesterday asking about this issue. I was told, this is a normal issue with the 5.0L engine and it is nothing to worry about. I guess they contacted ford and that was the answer given. Hope this helps!
Magua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm clueless but Ford will probably say it's "normal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magua10 View Post
I contacted my dealer yesterday asking about this issue. I was told, this is a normal issue with the 5.0L engine and it is nothing to worry about. I guess they contacted ford and that was the answer given. Hope this helps!
You correctly predicted Ford would say it was normal haha
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You correctly predicted Ford would say it was normal haha
:p
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tried the idle relearn? Usually have to do it if you disconnected the battery.
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13 View Post
Tried the idle relearn? Usually have to do it if you disconnected the battery.
Didn't disconnect the battery but probably wouldn't hurt to try anyway
Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have this same problem. I will be at a stop light and the idle will be normal and steady. Then all of a sudden is will drop to 500 sometimes even 400 rpms then spike to 1000rpms. I even get some stalling at times which is kind of annoying. I am VMP tuned with a jlt cai. I heard the JLT cai can have some stalling and surging issues. I'm going to log it and send it over to Justin. Im sure he can smooth it out. I read you are stock OP so thats weird. I didnt have this problem when i was completely stock.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I think what is happening is that your fans are kicking on. Do you notice it happens more when in traffic, or idling at a long light? Its normal for the idle to drop for a second and bounce back up when the fans kick on.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I think what is happening is that your fans are kicking on. Do you notice it happens more when in traffic, or idling at a long light? Its normal for the idle to drop for a second and bounce back up when the fans kick on.
Could be a leak in the tubing.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Could be a leak in the tubing.
Not likely. A vacuum leak would cause a constant idling problem . The reason the RPM drops when the fans turn on is because of the extra draw of amps from the alternator.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

mine does it on a pretty consistent basis. If I'm in traffic and slowly moving in gear it runs fine. When I stop at a light they drop from idle and then shoot back up. Sometimes, when I go into neutral from gear the car with go to idle and sometimes stall. Its doesn't always stall but it does it on occasion. I think it has something to do with the jlt cai and the tune. Time to run some logs and so the tuner (justin at VMP) can fix this
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
mine does it on a pretty consistent basis. If I'm in traffic and slowly moving in gear it runs fine. When I stop at a light they drop from idle and then shoot back up. Sometimes, when I go into neutral from gear the car with go to idle and sometimes stall. Its doesn't always stall but it does it on occasion. I think it has something to do with the jlt cai and the tune. Time to run some logs and so the tuner (justin at VMP) can fix this
I'd lean more towards the tune. Maybe increase the idle
Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd lean more towards the tune. Maybe increase the idle
Agreed. However, when it decides to idle fine and not drop and be screwy its right at 600 - 650. I wouldn't mind having the idle risen to 700 - 800 rpms if that gets rid of the stalling. Its annoying at well as embarrassing being at a stop light and my car shuts off
Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post

Agreed. However, when it decides to idle fine and not drop and be screwy its right at 600 - 650. I wouldn't mind having the idle risen to 700 - 800 rpms if that gets rid of the stalling. Its annoying at well as embarrassing being at a stop light and my car shuts off
If its stalling out, its definitely the tune. 600 rpms is a low idle. Mine idles at 750-800 rpms stock. Ill be loading my tune tomorrow and ill see where it idles after that.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

If its stalling out, its definitely the tune. 600 rpms is a low idle. Mine idles at 750-800 rpms stock. Ill be loading my tune tomorrow and ill see where it idles after that.
Yea I'm pretty sure mine idles at 1k

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT