Barton short throw shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Barton short throw shifter

I've read several posts about people that love their MGW shifter. Want to know if there's anyone that has a Barton shifter and how good it is. I just installed the Barton two post bracket which helped the shifts tremendously but added a lot of noise. Was planning on getting the shifter but wanted to get some opinions on the set up.
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
It's all personal preference.. MGW and Barton are the top two that people really like. I personally have never felt a Barton shifter in person.. But I decided to go with the MGW and love it!
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
It's all personal preference.. MGW and Barton are the top two that people really like. I personally have never felt a Barton shifter in person.. But I decided to go with the MGW and love it!
I went with MGW solely based on the opinions of other people and it's rep. 100% love it! I can't imaging any other shifter feeling better. That's just my opinion.
Devildogstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I got the Barton and 2 post bracket and there's nothing to complain about. little noisy but the shifts are always there. like they said it's either MGW or Barton.
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have the barton two post bracket and shifter and Iove it, it is a little noisier than stock but for the cleaner tighter throws it is worth the trade off for me. I think the barton has a little shorter throws than the MGW but the MGW is supposed to be smoother and quieter. If you decide on the barton I don't think you will be disappointed.
Jayday20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think you would be very satisfied with either one.
Devildogstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

+1^ Both are great short throws
Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if anyone has tried this and I haven't seen the Mgw setup, but, I'm thinking the noise with the Barton is simply due to completely metal on metal transferring noise. I was thinking of putting a piece of rubber, like an old bicycle tire, around the shaft of the transmission and reinstalling the bracket. I'm thinking that with as tight as the bracket clamps there would be no slipping and the rubber between the metal would deaden a lot of the noise.... Any suggestions or thoughts,
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I know my MGW came with a noise reducer that was a piece of foam that went around the whole shifter boot, not sure about the tire though.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Does that boot just lay down from the top? Still metal on metal at the transmission?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the foam insert just goes over the top of the shifter and then you put the boot back on over it. I'll get a picture for you
Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I would appreciate it. The xtra noise is irritating. Not gna give up the better shifts but would like to cut out some of the noise if I can.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'll snap a picture for you later today once I get out of school.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I've had both Barton w/ 2 post and MGW, and they both perform very good... But the drivetrain noise from the Barton was very irritating to me, I used some insulation and stuffed as much as I could underneath the console/cup holder area and it helped a bit... I upgraded to MGW, and don't regret it at all, only thing I miss from the Barton is the shorter shifts
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So u prefer the Mgw for the quietness but the Barton for shorter shifts?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
MGW is way better than Barton, it's has way more pros than cons. U can slap into the gears with more confidence knowing the lower shift box gives the remove shifter linkage more leverage. The throws are not the problem at all with the MT82, it's the poor design with remote linkage.
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
MGW is way better than Barton, it's has way more pros than cons. U can slap into the gears with more confidence knowing the lower shift box gives the remove shifter linkage more leverage. The throws are not the problem at all with the MT82, it's the poor design with remote linkage.
Exactly! The problem that everyone is having is due to the way ford put this Trans in the car. Not because of the Trans itself. The transmission is allowed to move around way too much from stock and that's what causes missed shifts. By the time you have swapped for better brackets and other things your transmission can no longer move around and there's also no flimsy rubber to absorb NVH. Sound deadening material installed in the console will really quiet up a Barton set-up BTW. Barton is the shortest shifter on the market I think and if you have a "race car" you might want that. Most everyone on here is looking for shorter throws that you can actually get into during spirited driving, and not necessarily the shortest throw possible
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well crap, beginning to sound like I wasted $ on the Barton bracket and should have just saved for Mgw shifter. The bracket problem is fixed with the Mgw shifter right?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I swapped cars with a buddy for a day, his has the Barton, mine the mgw. They are both exponentially greater than stock, but like said the Barton though shorter, was notchier, more nvh, and just felt sloppier than the mgw. Had I never felt the mgw I would say the Barton is amazing. I bought my MGW not knowing what to expect though I have had MGW previously in my sn95 so I knew the quality. Either one is a huge improvement, but I just feel the MGW is superior to Barton in every way minus the percent reduction. And to me, you get more for your money with the mgw. You can't and won't go wrong with either one though
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
When I installed my Barton 2 post there was a big increase in noise. Well, I had to remove said bracket to install my Hurst. This time I paid a lot more attention to the details or accidentally did a better job. I must have had the bracket uneven on the studs, making metal to metal contact on the tunnel cause this time the noise is back to near stock levels... maybe the little foam strip does some good...
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Guess I'm gna check prices for the Mgw vs Barton. I was jst trying to save a lil $$ on the front end.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
Guess I'm gna check prices for the Mgw vs Barton. I was jst trying to save a lil $$ on the front end.
Do not save money on your drivetrain. It will come back and haunt you later. Spend the $$ upfront on the best and it will last for years to come. Save money when it comes to buying name brand performance parts that all do the same thing. Like cold air intakes, throttle bodies, or skip buying name brand headers. But anything directly related to the function of the vehicle and your driving needs to be the best
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was jst trying to save a lil $$ on the front end
The Barton with the bracket is $369 compared to the MGW which is $390 TRUST me there is a $21 difference in cost and a HUGE difference in performance. That will be the best $21 you EVER spend
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I didn't know there was that much difference btwn the Barton and Mgw. Saw a good deal on the bracket so grabbed it cuz don't have the cash for the whole shifter right now.... Oh well, maybe someone will like the racier feel of Barton and want to go that route when I'm able to get the Mgw
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
When I installed my Barton 2 post there was a big increase in noise. Well, I had to remove said bracket to install my Hurst. This time I paid a lot more attention to the details or accidentally did a better job. I must have had the bracket uneven on the studs, making metal to metal contact on the tunnel cause this time the noise is back to near stock levels... maybe the little foam strip does some good...
Recently, I added a Barton 2-post bracket to my OEM shifter and a Whiteline tranny mount insert. I'm happy with both. Together, they certainly reduced excessive flexing and my occasional 2-3 shift lockouts are gone completely. But as you say, there's a cabin noise increase. Today, I ordered a $15 shifter gasket. It is supposed to insulate noise that comes through the shifter from metal-to-metal contact. Once I get the gasket installed, I'll report the change, if any. In the meantime, I've layed a scrap piece of R-11 insulation under the console cover, which surrounds the shifter and boot. It helped some, but not enough to suit me.

Mustang Catalog
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I bought and installed this gasket when installing a hurst shifter on my 14' gt. I also used white Teflon tape on all four screws because they will loosen over time; you can use lock tire but did not go that route. No NVH that I can tell. I reinstalled the original boot because it fit and helps protect the shifter.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #27

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
I bought and installed this gasket when installing a hurst shifter on my 14' gt. I also used white Teflon tape on all four screws because they will loosen over time; you can use lock tire but did not go that route. No NVH that I can tell. I reinstalled the original boot because it fit and helps protect the shifter.
Do you like the Hurst shifter. I been thinking of getting the Hurst myself
dwlow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to receiving the gasket and getting it installed.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlow09 View Post
Do you like the Hurst shifter. I been thinking of getting the Hurst myself
Personally I would have gone with the Barton but I got my hurst for under $100 used. These two are easier to install, however, if you want the best then MGW it is. If you find one used then you should take it.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Preciate all the info. Where did u get the gasket? Where does it actually install at?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Preciate all the info. Where did u get the gasket? Where does it actually install at?
This is where you get one: StangShifterGaskets

The gasket is installed under this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	137560  
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well, anyone planning to use the Barton bracket.... Today I took it off, used a 12" bicycle tire. Slipped a two inch piece on to the transmission shaft and reinstalled. Noise is almost completely eliminated!!! Almost back to stock noise level!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, anyone planning to use the Barton bracket.... Today I took it off, used a 12" bicycle tire. Slipped a two inch piece on to the transmission shaft and reinstalled. Noise is almost completely eliminated!!! Almost back to stock noise level!!!
Will the tire pieces be able to hold up when the tranny heats up? The gaskets are high temp.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I would think so. It's on the outside and non moving. Besides look at the crappy stock rubber.... If that held up I'm sure this will
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Tire ? Or an inner tube...?
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT