Mt-82 - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

What's the date on the tsb fluid change. I haven't had the first problem outta my mt-82, but better safe than sorry.
All 11-12 models with the MT-82

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

If you haven't had an issue I wouldn't change it
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

All 11-12 models with the MT-82
Thanks, I'll have to see if it was done by the Po.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

Wonder how this got to shifting fast from talking about the poor performance of the MT-82. Since it change answer this. When a guy builds a car for street and strip what is the preferred tranny? Which one will be best for drag racing and why? A manual trans will never be able to shift faster than a tuned auto. Tuned auto shifts are damn near instant it's like having direct drive. I had a manual trans and i could not out shift my tuned auto no freaking way.

Also I had the MT-82 had a bad experience did not want another that is why i got the auto. Your going to tell me when you buy something that gives you a headache will you buy another even when you know there are many issue documented? If you say yes then you are just a fool and like to waste money
You'll get little respect at a track driving an auto. "look at that guy!! He holds the gas pedal to the floor like a pro!"
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

You'll get little respect at a track driving an auto. "look at that guy!! He holds the gas pedal to the floor like a pro!"
But he'll most likely be the fastest
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
But he'll most likely be the fastest
+1
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
KARgt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

But he'll most likely be the fastest
I agree on that.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #77
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

You'll get little respect at a track driving an auto. "look at that guy!! He holds the gas pedal to the floor like a pro!"
A win is a win and a fast shifting auto is the way to go if you want consistent runs. That is the key to winning! I really could give two *****s about someone not respecting me because I drive an auto. I just want to get from start to finish the fastest way possible and the auto is where it's at.

Now a road course that is where the MT will excel.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ftodaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: columbus
Region: Ohio
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

There IS a technique to shifting the car. Take it slow and hold a 1/2 sec at dog ring engagement in the cold and don't rush or force the shifting. Do this and you don't need to change anything.

.
This is true I have learned to shift this box slow, and you can get it done. but that is not generally what is required to shift most decent transmissions,.

What we are saying is you have to baby this transmission. When you want to bang a gear now and then you can't. Having rebuilt and raced some Mazda transmissions this box is not by far not a work of good mechanical design.

I have never torn into one but it shifts way to notchey in my opinion.
__________________
Frank
2014 GT, Track Package, Deep Impact Blue. Roush Axle back, MGW short shifter.
Ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #79
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
A win is a win and a fast shifting auto is the way to go if you want consistent runs. That is the key to winning! I really could give two *****s about someone not respecting me because I drive an auto. I just want to get from start to finish the fastest way possible and the auto is where it's at. Now a road course that is where the MT will excel.
where were you when all the mutha effaz were talking smack?? Lol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
Daryll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Columbus
Region: Ohio
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
"man transmission"? (mansmission?) I thought guys started having those in their sleep before they were 18...
Reading this at a hotel bar. Almost had my cocktail coming out my nose - this needs to go in a quotes page LOL!
Daryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
Reading this at a hotel bar. Almost had my cocktail coming out my nose - this needs to go in a quotes page LOL!
I've had a good amount of man transmissions then...

But wow, that is hilarious, I about rolled out of my bed from laughing so hard.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

U need a MGW for that 2-3 lol

I have a MGW, Whiteline trans bushing insert, and the TSB fluid change and she's parked in the garage waiting on a new transmission :/
The MGW would be nice, but really all you need to cure the 2-3 shift is a new bracket. Since putting in my barton 2-post, ive literally had it happen maybe twice in nearly 10,000 miles.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
Missouri Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
The MGW would be nice, but really all you need to cure the 2-3 shift is a new bracket. Since putting in my barton 2-post, ive literally had it happen maybe twice in nearly 10,000 miles.
As I've said before, the Barton 2-post and a Whiteline tranny mount insert has stopped my 2-3 problems. Money saved, IMO.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
As I've said before, the Barton 2-post and a Whiteline tranny mount insert has stopped my 2-3 problems. Money saved, IMO.
Amen.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
As I've said before, the Barton 2-post and a Whiteline tranny mount insert has stopped my 2-3 problems. Money saved, IMO.
I'm unfamiliar with the whiteline tranny mount. Is that like the plate you can get from barton or mgw?
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch10 View Post

I'm unfamiliar with the whiteline tranny mount. Is that like the plate you can get from barton or mgw?
No it's a new product. It fills the gaps/holes in the stock trans mount. It definitely stiffens it up
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #87
Registered User
Newbie
 
Bryan12GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3
I have read somewhere there is a TSB for our MT82s produced at a certain time. The TSB was if the transmission was shifting roughly, but all they did to "fix" this was was a transmission flush. I'm not even sure if that fixes the problem. +1 on the the rough shifts when the car is cold, but when it warms up after a few minutes it seems fine.
Bryan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan12GT View Post
I have read somewhere there is a TSB for our MT82s produced at a certain time. The TSB was if the transmission was shifting roughly, but all they did to "fix" this was was a transmission flush. I'm not even sure if that fixes the problem. +1 on the the rough shifts when the car is cold, but when it warms up after a few minutes it seems fine.
Yes there is a TSB out for 11-12 MT-82 trans fluid swap
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #89
Registered User
Newbie
 
Bryan12GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Yes there is a TSB out for 11-12 MT-82 trans fluid swap
Is it worth it? If you've had it done, did you notice any difference?
Bryan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan12GT View Post
Is it worth it? If you've had it done, did you notice any difference?
I had it done after my fifth gear synchro went out :/ and it's been parked waiting on a new transmission for over two months now :/
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #91
Registered User
Newbie
 
Bryan12GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I had it done after my fifth gear synchro went out :/ and it's been parked waiting on a new transmission for over two months now :/
Damn, I know that's rough. Why have you been waiting so long? I've got 33 thousand on mine, I guess I should be thankful I haven't had any issues so far!
Bryan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan12GT View Post
Damn, I know that's rough. Why have you been waiting so long? I've got 33 thousand on mine, I guess I should be thankful I haven't had any issues so far!
First waiting on parts to FIX my trans, I b1tched so Ford approved a full replacement to make it quicker. Well that didn't happen either.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Durham
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 113
Do you get a rental to drive in the meantime?
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch10 View Post
Do you get a rental to drive in the meantime?
I did for a couple weeks but in the meantime my car was sitting outside in the elements and I went up there and told them to call me when my transmission got there BC I'm taking my baby home and putting her in the garage.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,974
The QDC swap was a big improvement for me in cold shifting. I live north of 48 and so, it was a welcome assist. No problems on warm days either. Any car built in Job 2 for 2012 or later already has this in the box. 11s and early build 12s have QS fluid, which is what's changed.

I fired up my wayback machine and got to thinking about previous factory Mustang shifters and manual trans. Remember the SROD? Pop-city if you added 20 horse to a car only making 130 horse. Remember how if you speed or powershifted a T5 on the stock shifter too much, you'd bust off the ends of the shift forks b/c the shifter would over-centre on travel? I managed to hold one of those together at the track for 10 years by using a stop-bolt Hurst but, most others on a power adder weren't as lucky. Remember the top loader, that, while sturdy, had multiple linkages and a throw similar to a big rig truck? We're not even going to mention the RAD, T9 or other glassboxes that didn't find their way behind a V8.

With all the irritations, the factory setup here is about as good as it has ever got in terms of shift feel and precision, from the factory. can it be improved cheap? yes, at the expense of a little nvh increase, something oems don't like.

People should also be reminded a bit of rough shifting when cold is just an irritation, not an indication of a problem, as long as it goes away as the trans warms up.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.42 at 120.64

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
A win is a win and a fast shifting auto is the way to go if you want consistent runs. That is the key to winning! I really could give two *****s about someone not respecting me because I drive an auto. I just want to get from start to finish the fastest way possible and the auto is where it's at.
__________________
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Prescott
Region: Arizona
Posts: 274
If this trans is in the new 2015, Ford will regret it. I will not buy another regardless of price or any other come on. FYI TREMEC has a T56 MAGNUM XL replacement for this weak suck ready to go. V8 or V6. Call Moderndriveline.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
The mt82 **** is over rated. No problems out if mine at all.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
WJBertrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ventura
Region: California
Posts: 517
Just checked the Redline Website and they say they do not have a fluid for the MT-82. Wonder why?
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
Evil2014GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Region: Alabama
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The QDC swap was a big improvement for me in cold shifting. I live north of 48 and so, it was a welcome assist. No problems on warm days either. Any car built in Job 2 for 2012 or later already has this in the box. 11s and early build 12s have QS fluid, which is what's changed.

I fired up my wayback machine and got to thinking about previous factory Mustang shifters and manual trans. Remember the SROD? Pop-city if you added 20 horse to a car only making 130 horse. Remember how if you speed or powershifted a T5 on the stock shifter too much, you'd bust off the ends of the shift forks b/c the shifter would over-centre on travel? I managed to hold one of those together at the track for 10 years by using a stop-bolt Hurst but, most others on a power adder weren't as lucky. Remember the top loader, that, while sturdy, had multiple linkages and a throw similar to a big rig truck? We're not even going to mention the RAD, T9 or other glassboxes that didn't find their way behind a V8.

With all the irritations, the factory setup here is about as good as it has ever got in terms of shift feel and precision, from the factory. can it be improved cheap? yes, at the expense of a little nvh increase, something oems don't like.

People should also be reminded a bit of rough shifting when cold is just an irritation, not an indication of a problem, as long as it goes away as the trans warms up.
+1000.

Every manual trans I've ever owned shifted rough when cold.
__________________
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #101
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Line it up!!! You're all talk and laughs.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,019
LOL....You are too much Paw
__________________
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
LOL....You are too much Paw
You should definitely drive from Texas to NY so you can race Oh internet smack talkers, gotta love em
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
Deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,019
^ Right
I could make him come down here easy...All I would have to do is just talk some smack about AM

DobyPaw, come help me.....
enough of being online for me, I have plucked the turkey, now on to skinning and quartering two hogs and a buck from this past weekend. Only in Texas! LOL
__________________
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
Too funny!
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:50 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.