carbon fiber vinyl tips?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
carbon fiber vinyl tips??

In the process of playing around with this and it has turned out pretty good for the most part, but I am having trouble with the triangular mirror cover pieces. ANybody ever CF vinyled this piece before, and how did you get it to sit all in one piece. I was thinking if I started at the top crease I could get 1 piece to fit the entire thing easier, but interested in others experiences. I have a lot of free time right now, so Im playing around with some of this stuff. Added some pics of what I have been doing, constructive criticism is always welcome. Also playing around with plastidiping the chrome trim......I think I like they way it looks in matte black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-23 09.27.45.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	902.6 KB
ID:	138345   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-23 09.28.00.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	138346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-24 13.04.37.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	138347  
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzopyrene View Post
In the process of playing around with this and it has turned out pretty good for the most part, but I am having trouble with the triangular mirror cover pieces. ANybody ever CF vinyled this piece before, and how did you get it to sit all in one piece. I was thinking if I started at the top crease I could get 1 piece to fit the entire thing easier, but interested in others experiences. I have a lot of free time right now, so Im playing around with some of this stuff. Added some pics of what I have been doing, constructive criticism is always welcome. Also playing around with plastidiping the chrome trim......I think I like they way it looks in matte black
dangg!! looks d@mn good!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looks great! Where did u get the carbon fiber stuff? Is it the interior kit or just a sheet of it? The guy that owned mine b4 did the whole interior with it. I was wanting to see if u cld just get sheets of it to do some other stuff on the car....
Ian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Looks great Benzo! We originally went the other route and bought the carbon fiber dash kit from AM and it looked great for two months and then went to 5hit. Should have gone the 3M wrap and done it ourself, but found a '13 Boss full dash from a wrecked car for a song. I have used the 3M wrap on our tower brace and on the heat shield for the JLT CAI and on the tribar of the front and back logos. I am sure you know that a heat gun or blow dryer makes maneuvering it around easier. Got to be careful with a heat gun though, easy to over do it.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Where did u get the 3m wrap in carbon fiber?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

3M 1080 Gloss Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Vehicle Wrap Sheet Roll 60"x12" CF12 | eBay
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh cool, preciate it. I assume it's got the 3M adhesive on the back side. Just cut, peel, and stick?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Would u recommend this product over the dash overlay kit offered on AM? I read the reviews and they were pretty bad... So I was thinking maybe i could buy 3m carbon fiber vinyl and install it myself.
huhalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhalbert View Post

Would u recommend this product over the dash overlay kit offered on AM? I read the reviews and they were pretty bad... So I was thinking maybe i could buy 3m carbon fiber vinyl and install it myself.
3m vinyl in a sheet will always be better than some pre-cut kit.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine off amazon. Like 20 bucks for a good sized roll. It's pretty easy to do on the dash with the exception of the passenger side airbag, but I'm a stickler and everything has to line up just right. Take your time And it'll look nicer than the cheap looking oem satin silver dash. IMO. Plus it looks better just knowing you did it!
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT