Advice on my first Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Advice on my first Mustang

Hey All,

Here's the situation, I'm due for a "new" car, so I've decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Mustang. However since I drive around 130 miles round trip daily for work, fuel mileage is important to me. But given that I spend at least 2 hours a day in the car, I want to enjoy it. So I guess what I'm asking is for a little advice on what Year to go with, as well as any performance or gas mileage modifications I can make to fit the situation.

I'm certain that as much as I want the V8, for the mileage alone I'm going to have to go with the V6 model for whichever year I choose. I'm leaning toward a 2011 V6 or V6 Premium. And from what I've read, adding a Cold Air Intake would both be a performance and MPG boost, so I probably will add one of those to it.

Thoughts?
lesterd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I will always pick the v8 over the sixxer. But with your situation I think you would like the sixxer more. They're still fast and fun cars while getting good mpg.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That was my thinking too, gets me out of the 4 cylinder economy car, while not giving up all the fuel efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
if most of those miles to work are on a highway expect to get atleast 23mpg so it's not to entirely bad. you can even get more than that. I would go GT! plus you could get a good deal if you find a 13 on a lot somewhere he'll maybe even a 14 with the 15's being released soon.

but the v6 is still powerful!
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The 3.7 would be a great car for all the traveling you do. I would love the 5.0 for myself but can't afford all the gas for it. You will still have more power than a 4 cyl and the gas mileage of one as well. But either one you will get you will be happy.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so interesting point...if you we're buying one would you wait till the 15s hit the dealers, or would now-ish be a good time? I know that the 15s will be wildly different styled, and in high demand but I do like the current styling a lot so that doesn't bother me. It's more price point driven than anything.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You need to buy a little early 2000s Toyota corolla or something and drive that. Save your money an buy another mustang later unless you can do both now. If you buy a brand new car now it will have WAY too many miles on it to be worth anything if you need to happen to trade it in or sell it down the road. Also, new cars have more expensive parts and driving 130miles a day would be like putting almost 32k a year on the vehicle. Your factory warranty would expire within a year and a half of you owning it if all you did was drive it 5 days a week to work lol. Point is, you'll be replacing parts on a relatively new car sooner and that costs more in the long run. Buy a beater car daily driver for now. And get a 5.0 to sit and look pretty with the exception of taking your woman out on the weekends.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't disagree with you, but resale value isn't a concern to me I plan to keep this thing forever. I have a Cobalt now that I'm considering keeping but I haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterd88 View Post
I don't disagree with you, but resale value isn't a concern to me I plan to keep this thing forever. I have a Cobalt now that I'm considering keeping but I haven't made up my mind yet.
keep the cobalt for the commute and get the 5.0 for the weekends
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Hey All,

Here's the situation, I'm due for a "new" car, so I've decided to take the plunge and buy myself a Mustang. However since I drive around 130 miles round trip daily for work, fuel mileage is important to me. But given that I spend at least 2 hours a day in the car, I want to enjoy it. So I guess what I'm asking is for a little advice on what Year to go with, as well as any performance or gas mileage modifications I can make to fit the situation.

I'm certain that as much as I want the V8, for the mileage alone I'm going to have to go with the V6 model for whichever year I choose. I'm leaning toward a 2011 V6 or V6 Premium. And from what I've read, adding a Cold Air Intake would both be a performance and MPG boost, so I probably will add one of those to it.

Thoughts?
Can you say supercharged V6..... 400 hp and good gas mileage. I am Looking at sixer for daily driving.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
keep the cobalt for the commute and get the 5.0 for the weekends
This is what I would do. I always think all or nothing. Even though Shelby is too much for me.. So a new Mustang GT was "all" and a used (2010-2011) Audi A4 or BMW 335i was "nothing". I went "all" in. But we have very different situations. (My work provides my transportation).
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Hey All,

Thoughts?
Milage is real important. Then wait till you see what the 2015 looks like (dec. 5th) if you like the looks then next spring grab the ecoboost 4. It should be in the area of 315hp and upwards of 36mpg give or take a couple. The car will weigh around 3200 pounds giving it a power to weight better than the V6 and the 4.6L V8's with better gas milage. You'll be beating V6's and 4.6L V8's with that little 4 banger and still be sipping gas.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Seriuosly think about the eco4 if milage is important. Because check these numbers out.

2014 GT power to weight per rwhp is about 9.8:1

Assuming the ecoboost produces dyno number a little higher than the current V6. With full boltons that little 4 banger should weighs about 3200 pounds and the rwhp with full boltons should be around 320 that would put its power to weight at 10:1 .2 off a stock 5.0

Just think if you can up the boost to the stock turbo by just 2 psi and with full boltons a stock 11'-14' 5.0 will lose to it. And you will still get mid to high 30's mpg

I would love to see Ford make another 4 cylinder SVO with 400+ crank hp and 3200 pounds!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Seriuosly think about the eco4 if milage is important. Because check these numbers out.

2014 GT power to weight per rwhp is about 9.8:1

Assuming the ecoboost produces dyno number a little higher than the current V6. With full boltons that little 4 banger should weighs about 3200 pounds and the rwhp with full boltons should be around 320 that would put its power to weight at 10:1 .2 off a stock 5.0

Just think if you can up the boost to the stock turbo by just 2 psi and with full boltons a stock 11'-14' 5.0 will lose to it. And you will still get mid to high 30's mpg

I would love to see Ford make another 4 cylinder SVO with 400+ crank hp and 3200 pounds!
I could be wrong on the weight it might be closer to 3000-3100 pounds if that is the case. then the eco4 would be the car to own for gas milage and performance minded people.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm not against v6s and 4 cylinders I own a 13 v6 myself it's a monster on the road with tune and exhaust and the thing sounds mean as hell. But one thing I will always truly believe and I know everyone can agree with me. There is NOTHING like the rumble of a V8. I don't care if it's 20x faster than a v8 that sound.....that evil sound that is made when 8 cylinders fire at over 5000 rpms...... That my friends....is the sound of true power
Salc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salc7 View Post
I'm not against v6s and 4 cylinders I own a 13 v6 myself it's a monster on the road with tune and exhaust and the thing sounds mean as hell. But one thing I will always truly believe and I know everyone can agree with me. There is NOTHING like the rumble of a V8. I don't care if it's 20x faster than a v8 that sound.....that evil sound that is made when 8 cylinders fire at over 5000 rpms...... That my friends....is the sound of true power
I agree... I own 14' GT... But the OP wants a Stang that get good gas milage while performing well too. You only get one in a V8.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
JDR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I agree 100%
The only thing I miss about my 4.6 GT is the rumble.

The Borla exhaust makes my 3.7 V6 sound amazing though. I was in a similar situation as the OP. I chose the V6 due to overall cost. I have no regrets. I love the car.
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

130 miles a day. drive the Cobalt until the wheels fall off and get the GT for the weekends.
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
+1
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
A lot of good technical info on the 5.0 in this thread. Not
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
+1
There is no replacement for displacement.
randy5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
So true. Nice rhyme BTW.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You what you do to fix your gas mileage problem...turn the mpg gauge or the miles till empty display off and make it blank I love my 13 v6 and it's a beast no a monster but.....I wish everyday that I had a v8 there is no replacement for it for the first few months ull love your v6 and you'll never regret buying it but your gonna want that v8 ill sacrifice that one or two nights of going out a week to pay for gas for a v8 any day
Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
You what you do to fix your gas mileage problem...turn the mpg gauge or the miles till empty display off and make it blank I love my 13 v6 and it's a beast no a monster but.....I wish everyday that I had a v8 there is no replacement for it for the first few months ull love your v6 and you'll never regret buying it but your gonna want that v8 ill sacrifice that one or two nights of going out a week to pay for gas for a v8 any day
My V8 cost me $8 more a week in gas over my V6. Insurance only went up $200 a year, payments went up $75 a month. And I still go out every week.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
My V8 cost me $8 more a week in gas over my V6. Insurance only went up $200 a year. And I still go out every week.
There's your answer right there my friend v8 it is
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5128 View Post
Ok, for the amateur mechanic.....explain this to me.

I'm just learning a bit about cars in general so forgive me if the question seems stupid.

As for the V8, I want it trust me I do. I just can't seem to justify the rise in fuel cost and the car itself. I figure based on EPA mileage the additional cost for me would be close to $12 more per week, that means an additional $416, plus lets call it $200 per 6-month term that's roughly $1,125 more in costs per year, without adding up the additional cost of the car. Hard for me to make the case for it compared to the V6 alternative.

And as for that, I'm leaning about 75/25 for used vs. new on the purchase. Thought process goes that in calendar year 2014, the model years for 2011 - 2013 Used mustangs will drop enough to justify spending a bit more on the car, or spending more on parts to put into it, like the Cold Air Intake or a tuner chip etc.

You guys are awesome, giving me a lot to think on. Thanks for that.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, for the amateur mechanic.....explain this to me. I'm just learning a bit about cars in general so forgive me if the question seems stupid. As for the V8, I want it trust me I do. I just can't seem to justify the rise in fuel cost and the car itself. I figure based on EPA mileage the additional cost for me would be close to $12 more per week, that means an additional $416, plus lets call it $200 per 6-month term that's roughly $1,125 more in costs per year, without adding up the additional cost of the car. Hard for me to make the case for it compared to the V6 alternative. And as for that, I'm leaning about 75/25 for used vs. new on the purchase. Thought process goes that in calendar year 2014, the model years for 2011 - 2013 Used mustangs will drop enough to justify spending a bit more on the car, or spending more on parts to put into it, like the Cold Air Intake or a tuner chip etc. You guys are awesome, giving me a lot to think on. Thanks for that.
Higher displacement, more room for HP, and torque, that's all I can think of right now, I'm half asleep as is, I'm sure I left a good amount of things out that are good about higher displacement.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I also just noticed that somehow I posted all this in the GT forum...my mistake but the question stays the same. Didn't mean to mis-post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I also just noticed that somehow I posted all this in the GT forum...my mistake but the question stays the same. Didn't mean to mis-post
happened to me all the time when I 1st joined.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, for the amateur mechanic.....explain this to me. I'm just learning a bit about cars in general so forgive me if the question seems stupid. As for the V8, I want it trust me I do. I just can't seem to justify the rise in fuel cost and the car itself. I figure based on EPA mileage the additional cost for me would be close to $12 more per week, that means an additional $416, plus lets call it $200 per 6-month term that's roughly $1,125 more in costs per year, without adding up the additional cost of the car. Hard for me to make the case for it compared to the V6 alternative. And as for that, I'm leaning about 75/25 for used vs. new on the purchase. Thought process goes that in calendar year 2014, the model years for 2011 - 2013 Used mustangs will drop enough to justify spending a bit more on the car, or spending more on parts to put into it, like the Cold Air Intake or a tuner chip etc. You guys are awesome, giving me a lot to think on. Thanks for that.
I'm tellin you man the v6 ull love it and you'll race older v8s and win but that power of a v8 and the sound of the exhaust note I promise you dude it is 100% worth I went v6 cause I couldn't afford the v8 but if you can please do it. The car will put more than just a smile on your gave everyday
Old 11-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
If u really want a Mustang but are driving in those conditions and it will be your only car, I would recommend a used 11-14. It's better than burning up a nice new GT
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by timle8n1 View Post
130 miles a day. drive the Cobalt until the wheels fall off and get the GT for the weekends.
This is my vote! +1
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
not an option you gave me to choose from but while I back pretty much every thing posted if I was considering V6 premium I would without doubt choose the V8 base model instead. If you get the V6 you want the 3.31 gears which cuts your hwy mpg so the V6/V8 gas cost is not significant. The up front cost is huge which is why I choose the V6, which I like and have hardly any regrets about picking. When regrets (occasionally they do) arise I think of the money I saved and my base model V6 is a performance bargin.

opinion only
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Keeping the Cobalt is on the table, but its hit 160k miles, and losing fuel efficiency and power. Pretty sure its not long for this world. Not to mention that adds cost of keeping it and insuring it. Not a bad idea, and if I can figure it out that's what I'll do, but odds are its gonna go away.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
oh yeah, I understood the $12 week/$200+ 6months but how did you get to $1125 before adding in the car?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT