FRPP Boss 302 Style Side Exhaust Kit. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just saw this kit. It looks great, but is it worth the price? If I do decide to get it, it will be coupled with an RTR Axleback exhaust. Any input about the side exhaust would be appreciated... Looks at black on boss

Aldo, I've heard from some people on SVT performance( I think that's the name of the forum) that it comes with resonators, and some say it does not.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sure is a lot of dough for basically cutouts. Spend ur money on a Borla catback and cutouts. U would be much happier I am sure. Now if ur thinking the side exit exhaust that has a molded lower skirt, then maybe. Looks awesome, but again, a bunch of dough.
Troy
Old 11-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Sure is a lot of dough for basically cutouts. Spend ur money on a Borla catback and cutouts. U would be much happier I am sure. Now if ur thinking the side exit exhaust that has a molded lower skirt, then maybe. Looks awesome, but again, a bunch of dough. Troy
Yeah, the price is ridiculous, but that's the only side exhaust I've seen for the mustang...

With VA's insane car laws, I think cutouts are illegal in VA.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
VA is ridiculous with its laws. i absolutely hate driving through there because i feel like everyones watching me

i would have to assume that they are,but just keep them closed until your showin off your stang. then let em rip. if you see cops, close them up. if they ask you to rev, it'll sound completely different than the race car they were hearing.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
VA is ridiculous with its laws. i absolutely hate driving through there because i feel like everyones watching me i would have to assume that they are,but just keep them closed until your showin off your stang. then let em rip. if you see cops, close them up. if they ask you to rev, it'll sound completely different than the race car they were hearing.
Yeah it is.
Heck, I'm not entirely sure the FRPP kit is legal in VA, I'd assume so, because then every 302 would be getting a ticket.
That's the reason I'm considering the FRPP Side exhaust kit, because I'm fairly certain cutouts are illegal, well, that and the FRPP 302 kit is the only side exhaust I've seen for a mustang.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cervini makes a really nice kit but its $1500. its on CJponyparts if you wanna check it out. sounds great.i was gonna get it myself but that was just a bit too much. the Boss's come with some kind of restrictor plates that you can take off to make them even louder. the FRPP kit may come with them.youd havta check.

keep in mind the side exhaust will dramatically decrease your ground clearance. the Cervini kit says atleast a 1.5 inch drop i believe.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cervini makes a really nice kit but its $1500. its on CJponyparts if you wanna check it out. sounds great.i was gonna get it myself but that was just a bit too much. the Boss's come with some kind of restrictor plates that you can take off to make them even louder. the FRPP kit may come with them.youd havta check. keep in mind the side exhaust will dramatically decrease your ground clearance. the Cervini kit says atleast a 1.5 inch drop i believe.
I didn't think about that drop ... Dang
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yeah. if i could find it, id tell you what it said specifically. i remember them recommending having atleast a 20 inch wheel to run it but thats not really necessary. im pretty sure it said to expect a 1.5 inch drop though.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah. if i could find it, id tell you what it said specifically. i remember them recommending having atleast a 20 inch wheel to run it but thats not really necessary. im pretty sure it said to expect a 1.5 inch drop though.
I looked at the cervini kit, that's a bit much. I'd prefer the FRPP kit, it's on AM and includes the resonators, no other place I've checked has the kit with them.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

if you can handle not being able to ever lower it, go ahead.lol. the only way you'll get that look if you get the side exhaust is to get bigger wheels. it'll sound sick though.and side pipes make everything look 100x better.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you can handle not being able to ever lower it, go ahead.lol. the only way you'll get that look if you get the side exhaust is to get bigger wheels. it'll sound sick though.and side pipes make everything look 100x better.
That is true, I don't want to have 20's, mine came with 19's. The height looks fine to me. Side pipes are great, but I'm not sure I could convince my parents to get them for me, I want them before may, so idk.

I also plan to buy the RTR Axle-back exhaust.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

They are really not noticeable from the side. Not like true side pipes. They are flat and stop well before the side of the car. Check out a Boss. It is not a cosmetic mod at all.
Troy
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They are really not noticeable from the side. Not like true side pipes. They are flat and stop well before the side of the car. Check out a Boss. It is not a cosmetic mod at all. Troy
I noticed that in some pictures, what do you think the exhaust distribution would be with side pipes 60/40? I plan on eventually having the FRPP side pipes and the RTR Axle-back exhaust.
But I'm not sure how they would sound together, I don't want to get them and have the side pipes be most of the sound, or have the AB's have most of the sound.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The Boss side pipes are really not loud at all, even GT500 which are very mild are louder... If anything, the side pipes really add a slight growl and more of a surround sound effect... I considered getting them, but they're way too expensive, u will get a better sounding setup with a catback system
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I would def go look and listen to a Boss before u pony up that amount of cash.
Troy
Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would def go look and listen to a Boss before u pony up that amount of cash. Troy
If I can find one I will, I've heard YouTube videos of the side pipes on GT's... Sounds good, resonators removed.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Gimme a few mins and I'll clarify quite a few things :p
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Boss side pipes definitely have a cool factor in person... Problem is that nobody will notice them unless u say they are there. This is the best video I found which shows the difference with the cutoff valve. It's not loud enough to even add cut off valves IMHO

http://youtu.be/2KUhwAYluyc
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Gimme a few mins and I'll clarify quite a few things :p
I was hoping you would be here at some point...
What's weird is that with YouTube links, at least from ME, I can't hear any volume.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Yeah, the price is ridiculous, but that's the only side exhaust I've seen for the mustang...

With VA's insane car laws, I think cutouts are illegal in VA.
Quote:
VA is ridiculous with its laws. i absolutely hate driving through there because i feel like everyones watching me

i would have to assume that they are,but just keep them closed until your showin off your stang. then let em rip. if you see cops, close them up. if they ask you to rev, it'll sound completely different than the race car they were hearing.
Quote:
Yeah it is.
Heck, I'm not entirely sure the FRPP kit is legal in VA, I'd assume so, because then every 302 would be getting a ticket.
That's the reason I'm considering the FRPP Side exhaust kit, because I'm fairly certain cutouts are illegal, well, that and the FRPP 302 kit is the only side exhaust I've seen for a mustang.
From the factory the side pipes come with a restrictor plate to pass emissions. It's basically described as a sound tube not an exhaust. With the plates removed the side pipes are unrestricted straight pipes that don't go thru a muffler.

Quote:
Cervini makes a really nice kit but its $1500. its on CJponyparts if you wanna check it out. sounds great.i was gonna get it myself but that was just a bit too much. the Boss's come with some kind of restrictor plates that you can take off to make them even louder. the FRPP kit may come with them.youd havta check.

keep in mind the side exhaust will dramatically decrease your ground clearance. the Cervini kit says atleast a 1.5 inch drop i believe.
Quote:
I didn't think about that drop ... Dang
Quote:
Quote:
I looked at the cervini kit, that's a bit much. I'd prefer the FRPP kit, it's on AM and includes the resonators, no other place I've checked has the kit with them.
Quote:
They are really not noticeable from the side. Not like true side pipes. They are flat and stop well before the side of the car. Check out a Boss. It is not a cosmetic mod at all.
Troy
The side pipes do not affect the ride height at all. The boss comes from the factory lower than a stock 5.0 and has adjustable shocks and sitting on 19" rims.

Quote:
I noticed that in some pictures, what do you think the exhaust distribution would be with side pipes 60/40? I plan on eventually having the FRPP side pipes and the RTR Axle-back exhaust.
But I'm not sure how they would sound together, I don't want to get them and have the side pipes be most of the sound, or have the AB's have most of the sound.
The side pipes are about 1-1 1/2" in diameter so they are mostly for sound not exhaust flow. They amplify the exhaust note. I will say my Pypes catback system definitely added to the sound.

Also the h pipe itself doesn't have resonators in it but you retain the resonators in your stock over the axle pipe. I did a complete catback exhaust on mine that has resonators in it as well and it sounds amazing. If you haven't looked at my YouTube videos check out 37BlackonBlack
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info BoB, when I can, I will check out your YouTube.

If I do buy the side exhaust, I will have to leave the resonators on the side pipes, otherwise it will be illegal in VA.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the info BoB, when I can, I will check out your YouTube.

If I do buy the side exhaust, I will have to leave the resonators on the side pipes, otherwise it will be illegal in VA.
How will removing resonators make it illegal?"!"""!!!! That's insane. I know removing the cats would be illegal but I don't see how the resonators would be illegal
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How will removing resonators make it illegal?"!"""!!!! That's insane. I know removing the cats would be illegal but I don't see how the resonators would be illegal
Didn't you say they are on there to pass emissions, VA has some Bull*hit laws about cars. I'm not certain about it though, let me check...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

when i said it lowered the ride height, i was talking about the cervinis kit which actually comes with side skirts that include the exhaust pipe cutouts. i just assumed the boss kit was the same

im glad you finally came on here.ive been patiently waiting for someone with a boss to chime in.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
when i said it lowered the ride height, i was talking about the cervinis kit which actually comes with side skirts that include the exhaust pipe cutouts. i just assumed the boss kit was the same im glad you finally came on here.ive been patiently waiting for someone with a boss to chime in.
I was hoping he would be on here sooner.

Also, I checked about the resonator delete, it is illegal, but cops don't usually do anything unless you are blatantly bring loud, and inspections are usually no problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I was hoping he would be on here sooner. Also, I checked about the resonator delete, it is illegal, but cops don't usually do anything unless you are blatantly bring loud, and inspections are usually no problem.
Nothing to do with emissions. Resonators are made to dampen noise as the energy released reverberates and tends to amplify through the exhaust.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Nothing to do with emissions. Resonators are made to dampen noise as the energy released reverberates and tends to amplify through the exhaust.
Ok then, I probably still will have to leave them on though):

Fine balance between great,loud-ish, deep sound, and headaches.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

also, thought, i do not question the almighty BoB, however, a Boss comes factory with the side pipes. where those side skirts are on ours, i THINK that its got some metal from the body right behind them.or atleast thats what it looked like last time i was checking them out. if you were to buy an aftermarket kit, would you not have to remove the skirts and go under the metal which lowers ride height, or do you hack right through it?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post

That was what was going thru my head lol

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Quote:
also, thought, i do not question the almighty BoB, however, a Boss comes factory with the side pipes. where those side skirts are on ours, i THINK that its got some metal from the body right behind them.or atleast thats what it looked like last time i was checking them out. if you were to buy an aftermarket kit, would you not have to remove the skirts and go under the metal which lowers ride height, or do you hack right through it?
The side pipes don't come all the way out. They turn down right in front of the rear tires. You can't even see them unless you get down on your knees and look. Lemme see if I have a pic of them
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you would need to do anything to the side skirts, the vids I've seen have the pipes on and side skirts intact, and AM and Ford Racing say it's a bolt on, for the coupe, nothing other than the welding them on,

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
The side pipes don't come all the way out. They turn down right in front of the rear tires. You can't even see them unless you get down on your knees and look. Lemme see if I have a pic of them
+1
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

oh ok.gotcha! see, this is the cervinis. this is what i was thinking of.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think you would need to do anything to the side skirts, the vids I've seen have the pipes on and side skirts intact, and AM and Ford Racing say it's a bolt on, for the coupe, nothing other than the welding them on,

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

+1
I changed the color a little so it would stand out more but here's a pic from the side

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131127_225822.png
Views:	341
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	138695

See how it flattens out. It's not noticeable at all
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I changed the color a little so it would stand out more but here's a pic from the side See how it flattens out. It's not noticeable at all
Picture saved to show parents...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT