Air in brake lines... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Air in brake lines...

Not sure if this has been answered here. If so, I cannot find it.
I am replacing my brake lines with SS. I will be adding speed bleeders. When I allow air into the system while changing parts out, will this jack anything up in the anti-lock brake system? I was planning on doing each corner, then bleed system.
I have done many brake jobs, but few with anti-lock brakes. Last time I did (1996 Taurus), i could not get all the air out after bleeding. Apparently, I let some air into the anti-lock system controller thingy and had to take it to a dealer to remedy.
Because of this, I have a bit of apprehension!
So, anyone have issues with this in this car?
Thx,
Troy

Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Not sure if this has been answered here. If so, I cannot find it.
I am replacing my brake lines with SS. I will be adding speed bleeders. When I allow air into the system while changing parts out, will this jack anything up in the anti-lock brake system? I was planning on doing each corner, then bleed system.
I have done many brake jobs, but few with anti-lock brakes. Last time I did (1996 Taurus), i could not get all the air out after bleeding. Apparently, I let some air into the anti-lock system controller thingy and had to take it to a dealer to remedy.
Because of this, I have a bit of apprehension!
So, anyone have issues with this in this car?
Thx,
Troy
I've bled my brakes a million times on my 06 and no issues
Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Just bleeding, or completely opening up the system by removing lines? I think I am over thinking this, but would hate to jack up another simple project!
Troy

Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Just bleeding, or completely opening up the system by removing lines? I think I am over thinking this, but would hate to jack up another simple project!
Troy
Hmm nothing I've read thus far has stated anything about a special procedure to do the job. I'm going to do mine next month I think.

Heck I watched the guy put in my master cylinder and all it took was bleeding the air out of the system.

However, make sure you get all the air out of the brake lines. It may require doing all them twice.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I actually had to go to the dlr and they told me there was air inside of the anti lock brake valve or something like that. It was many years ago. Had to be bench bled, which i have no idea how to do.
Troy
Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I haven't looked, but many ABS units these days do not have bleeders on them. Dumbest thing ever, but if you do ever need to bleed one without bleeders you'll be forced to go to a dealer or shop that has a computer capable of engaging the solenoids inside the unit in order to bleed properly.

I maintain a fleet of Mercedes Sprinters and I've run into this before. Until we purchase the computer for it I have to take them down to a shop for this procedure.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I haven't looked, but many ABS units these days do not have bleeders on them. Dumbest thing ever, but if you do ever need to bleed one without bleeders you'll be forced to go to a dealer or shop that has a computer capable of engaging the solenoids inside the unit in order to bleed properly.

I maintain a fleet of Mercedes Sprinters and I've run into this before. Until we purchase the computer for it I have to take them down to a shop for this procedure.
Yikes gotta love Mercedes!

Unless they changed drastically from 2011. I believe all Mustangs still have bleeder valves.

Now if you are manually bleeding it takes 2 people. One to the hold the pedal till you close the valve. If you release up on the pedal too soon you could induce air into the system. Just take her nice n slow you'll do fine
Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Yikes gotta love Mercedes!

Unless they changed drastically from 2011. I believe all Mustangs still have bleeder valves.

Now if you are manually bleeding it takes 2 people. One to the hold the pedal till you close the valve. If you release up on the pedal too soon you could induce air into the system. Just take her nice n slow you'll do fine
Only other option is to have a pressurized bleeding system, makes it easier to bleed not needing a buddy on the pedal.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post

Only other option is to have a pressurized bleeding system, makes it easier to bleed not needing a buddy on the pedal.
They sell "one man bleeder" kits at just about every auto parts store. Can be found for right around ten bucks. The kit uses a little bottle with a check valve in it, so it only lets air out not in. Very very simple to use.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've always used the "MityVac" brake bleeder, with no issues. I bleed my brakes every year to remove the old fluid and replace with fresh, as the old fluid does break down; it obsorbs moisture in the air from the master cylinder fill container. This tool makes the job a "one person" process. And yes, you still have a bleeder valve at all four calipers.

When it comes time to replace the rear brake pads, make sure you have the tool to rotate the caliper piston into it's bore in order to get the new pads on; you cannot push them in like the fronts because of them also being used as the parking brake. Without the tool, you will not have an easy time rotating the caliper piston!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

To clarify, I. Have done countless brake jobs on countless kinds of cars. I only once ran into this problem. I was thinking it was because air got into the abs solinoid. Like mentioned above, that has to be bled differently than usual. Sounds like these Stangs aren't a problem. Nervous cause it was a "newer" ford that it happened to me on.
Troy
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
To clarify, I. Have done countless brake jobs on countless kinds of cars. I only once ran into this problem. I was thinking it was because air got into the abs solinoid. Like mentioned above, that has to be bled differently than usual. Sounds like these Stangs aren't a problem. Nervous cause it was a "newer" ford that it happened to me on.
Troy
Haha cool

And you shouldn't run into any issues on these
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect. Guess I need to order the SS lines now...
Thx,
Troy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT