Plasti dip racing stripes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Plasti dip racing stripes

Has anyone plasti dipped their racing stripes or any stripes for that matter or know someone who did. I would like to see pictures if you have any.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
It can be done, make sure you peel tape off before it sets up.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Has anyone plasti dipped their racing stripes or any stripes for that matter or know someone who did. I would like to see pictures if you have any.
I saw a dude with a Camaro that had Platy dipped his stripes and the lower half of his car...I saw it from 30ft away and knew immediately it was PD. I talked to him just to make sure...It was not bad looking, but it was not good either...My recommendation is to go Vinyl. Hope this helps...
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

I saw a dude with a Camaro that had Platy dipped his stripes and the lower half of his car...I saw it from 30ft away and knew immediately it was PD. I talked to him just to make sure...It was not bad looking, but it was not good either...My recommendation is to go Vinyl. Hope this helps...
+10000
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
I thought about doin this on my sixxer, but ultimately after researching it seems like too much of a hassle for me. Stripes can be tricky, not only getting the lines straight, but also understanding that the dimensions change slightly from the front to the back. If I take all the time to do it and they're not straight or if they don't look right (like on the camaro posted above) I'm going to go insane

I like dip for my wheels, and the entire car, but for stripes I'd say go with vinyl.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #6

Region: Maryland
I've done it before but it was on an XRunner not a mustang. I had black 10 inch with a two inch gap. It's cheap to do but it can be a pain to do. You have to be quick and careful when you peel up the tape.If you do it right it will look good. The best part is that if you do it right it will peel right off when it comes time to get rid of it. The most time consuming part is the taping off and getting the lines straight. Then you lay down at least like 4 coats and let sit for like 20 - 30 min in between. Then do your last coat and immediately peel the tape up at an angle. It will be straight; but it needs to be wet or else everything will come up with the tape.
menace21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I drive an Dark Grey FX4 and do so much hunting at night, I don't like any chrome on my truck reflecting in the moonlight. I Plastidipped my wheels and emblems on my truck and they turned out perfect. I decided to do the rockers black as well. Taped off one side and did 3 coats and I am good with a rattle can. Looked like crap. I tried another coat to even it out and still wasn't that good, so I peeled it off. Wheels and emblems still look good, but no go on the rockers. I wouldn't waste my time trying to do stripes on a GT with it.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
I drive an Dark Grey FX4 and do so much hunting at night, I don't like any chrome on my truck reflecting in the moonlight. I Plastidipped my wheels and emblems on my truck and they turned out perfect. I decided to do the rockers black as well. Taped off one side and did 3 coats and I am good with a rattle can. Looked like crap. I tried another coat to even it out and still wasn't that good, so I peeled it off. Wheels and emblems still look good, but no go on the rockers. I wouldn't wast my time trying to do stripes on a GT with it.
...what are you hunting at night in your truck?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
...what are you hunting at night in your truck?

Hogs. We corn roads all over our lease and creep around in the moonlight only using binoculars. Once we spot a herd or a lone boar, we make a stalk using the wind. Get 10yds off the road in the brush and when they walk by.......>>>>-------> WHACK!
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Theres a reason vinyl is the standard for stripes. Just did this this weekend. Took about 8 hours total. Should I tint the fogs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131204_151217.png
Views:	5442
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	139722  
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I did hash marks. But you basically have to apply a good 3-5 coats and remove tape while wet, so that it doesn't peel the sides
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4183898800.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	139723  
Dill_picklezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post
Theres a reason vinyl is the standard for stripes. Just did this this weekend. Took about 8 hours total. Should I tint the fogs?
That looks so good. Ive got the same set at my house waiting for me to put it on. How was the install?? Did you not do the front bumper?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Front bumper is there just hard to see. That was the hardest part. Getting the vinyl to stick on the angles was a chore. Its not too hard just time consuming.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Cut and measure and use alot of soapy water. Dont worry if its messed up you can reapply. AM gives you a whole lot of extra vinyl
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill_picklezz View Post
I did hash marks. But you basically have to apply a good 3-5 coats and remove tape while wet, so that it doesn't peel the sides
Did you just eyeball the dimension and angle? Those look pretty good, I was thinking about dipping some hash marks, but wasn't sure on the dimension and angle.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

i just did a stripe yesterday.took 9 hours. ill post a pic tomorrow. im pretty positive that they arent exactly straight though.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Did you just eyeball the dimension and angle? Those look pretty good, I was thinking about dipping some hash marks, but wasn't sure on the dimension and angle.
well I bought two different sizes of tape. So I just used the wight of the tape as the stripes. And did one at a time. But doing the opposite just measure the front bumper to the stripe and marked it to where then needed to be at the top and bottom
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayblesStang View Post
Front bumper is there just hard to see. That was the hardest part. Getting the vinyl to stick on the angles was a chore. Its not too hard just time consuming.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Cut and measure and use alot of soapy water. Dont worry if its messed up you can reapply. AM gives you a whole lot of extra vinyl
Awesome. Thanks man. Yeah they send a ton of vinyl! I swear with what they sent me i could do two full cars lol.

Trying to figure out what i want to do with the front bumper. Im in VA, so when i bought my car new, the dealer riveted a freaking license plate bracket on. I could drill it out, since the vinyl would cover the holes anyway, but cops around here are dicks about not having a front tag....
Old 12-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Plasti-dip is good for people just itching to mod their car but can't afford quality vinyl/paint and/or don't know how to apply it. It's cheap and looks cheap, and if done wrong can really be not worth it.

Don't put plasti-dip stripes on your new car. Go vinyl.

I will give props to Deerslayer though, he put good ole plasti-dip to use.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Plasti-dip is good for people just itching to mod their car but can't afford quality vinyl/paint and/or don't know how to apply it. It's cheap and looks cheap, and if done wrong can really be not worth it. Don't put plasti-dip stripes on your new car. Go vinyl. I will give props to Deerslayer though, he put good ole plasti-dip to use.
I can agree and disagree, doing the strip over the whole car would be something I wouldn't do, but I did hash marks to see if I'd like them before I buy them, but it looked so good I just decided to wait till they start to peel off before putting the real ones on. And I dipped my radio trim and clear coat and they looked just as good as the ones my friend bought from AM. Difference I spent 6$ he spent 150$
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4005205194.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	139822  
Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill_picklezz View Post
I can agree and disagree, doing the strip over the whole car would be something I wouldn't do, but I did hash marks to see if I'd like them before I buy them, but it looked so good I just decided to wait till they start to peel off before putting the real ones on. And I dipped my radio trim and clear coat and they looked just as good as the ones my friend bought from AM. Difference I spent 6$ he spent 150$
It's all personal preference.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer

Hogs. We corn roads all over our lease and creep around in the moonlight only using binoculars. Once we spot a herd or a lone boar, we make a stalk using the wind. Get 10yds off the road in the brush and when they walk by.......>>>>-------> WHACK!
Got ya.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT