Question about vinyl stripe install. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Question about vinyl stripe install.

Hey everyone, im in the process of installing my Super Snake vinyl kit, and am kinda stuck. So far its going great, we are taking our time, and have the hood, roof, and top of trunk done. Calling it a night for now, but we are wondering what the hell is the best way to lay the vinyl around the faux cap. I got the kit from American muscle, and it is not precut. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to successfully lay down the vinyl around the faux cap?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Hey everyone, im in the process of installing my Super Snake vinyl kit, and am kinda stuck. So far its going great, we are taking our time, and have the hood, roof, and top of trunk done. Calling it a night for now, but we are wondering what the hell is the best way to lay the vinyl around the faux cap. I got the kit from American muscle, and it is not precut. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to successfully lay down the vinyl around the faux cap?
remove it. There's a hump underneath it but it will make it much easier. Plus u don't have to worry about the edges showing around it..

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

It's been a while since I've taken one off but I think there is a nut or retainer on the backside? And then the whole thing has two sides tape on it.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Mine was fully covered by a professional. He used a hand-held torch to heat the vinyl and stretch it. I've also seen stripes cut around the base of the raised portion of the panel. Either way, the chance of a screw up is great, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00065.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	140512  
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh. This is gonna suck lol. Good thing we nailed the rest of the car, and have a TON of extra vinyl, as i foresee this to be a big trial/error process.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ugh. This is gonna suck lol.
its not too bad.. Are you doing the bumpers?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
its not too bad.. Are you doing the bumpers?
Yeah we are doing the bumpers as well. The dealer riveted on my license plate bracket, so we have to drill the rivets out tomorrow. No big deal since the vinyl will cover the holes.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
remove it. There's a hump underneath it but it will make it much easier. Plus u don't have to worry about the edges showing around it..

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

It's been a while since I've taken one off but I think there is a nut or retainer on the backside? And then the whole thing has two sides tape on it.
The cap has no attaching fasteners that can be removed. It is held on by (4) plastic clips that are on the underside of the cap center. I used a couple of plastic tools to get under the chrome ring and pried it off. It takes significant pressure to do so. Don't worry about scarring the black OEM surface. It is diamond clear coated.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
The cap has no attaching fasteners that can be removed. It is held on by (4) plastic clips that are on the underside of the cap center. I used a couple of plastic tools to get under the chrome ring and pried it off. It takes significant pressure to do so. Don't worry about scarring the black OEM surface. It is diamond clear coated.
thats right.. I'm pretty sure mine only had two clips though? Either way I didn't reuse them. If you use two sided tape correctly there's no need.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Yeah we are doing the bumpers as well. The dealer riveted on my license plate bracket, so we have to drill the rivets out tomorrow. No big deal since the vinyl will cover the holes.
the bumpers will be harder than the trunk lid.. The angles can be a pain.. A heat gun helps
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks for the help guys. But even if you remove the faux cover, how do you a account for the raise in the panel? Lay it down, heat it up, and cut? Im still a little confused... Been working on cars for a long time, and my buddy is a certified diesel tech at a ford dealer, but this is the first time either of us have attempted a big vinyl install. Gotta say we have done a hell of a job so far though. Lol. Think we have both surprised ourselves. The faux cap just has us both clueless.

As for the bumpers, we have noticed it is a little more difficult to fit the curves and edges, but we have a heat gun, and its working great so far.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cool thanks for the help guys. But even if you remove the faux cover, how do you a account for the raise in the panel? Lay it down, heat it up, and cut? Im still a little confused... Been working on cars for a long time, and my buddy is a certified diesel tech at a ford dealer, but this is the first time either of us have attempted a big vinyl install. Gotta say we have done a hell of a job so far though. Lol. Think we have both surprised ourselves. The faux cap just has us both clueless. As for the bumpers, we have noticed it is a little more difficult to fit the curves and edges, but we have a heat gun, and its working great so far.
You got it man.. Once you get it off you will see that you have plenty of room to mess up as far as cutting it out.. Take your time and go just do a lil at a time. Are you doing these wet or dry?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You got it man.. Once you get it off you will see that you have plenty of room to mess up as far as cutting it out.. Take your time and go just do a lil at a time. Are you doing these wet or dry?
Oh wet for sure. No way we had enough confidence to try it dry lol.

You dont know of any links that explain further how to get the cap off do you?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wet for sure. No way we had enough confidence to try it dry lol. You dont know of any links that explain further how to get the cap off do you?
I don't but I have seen it on here several times.. Try a search on here. The clips that are on the backside don't really hold much and you can just use a plastic pry tool or something similar and use ur heat gun around the edges.. Slowly work your way around prying up a lil at a time.. It's not a HUGE deal if your scratch underneath it as you will be sticking the cap back on.. And good lol. That makes it WAY easier lol. Between the heat and the water you should be just fine.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't but I have seen it on here several times.. Try a search on here. The clips that are on the backside don't really hold much and you can just use a plastic pry tool or something similar and use ur heat gun around the edges.. Slowly work your way around prying up a lil at a time.. It's not a HUGE deal if your scratch underneath it as you will be sticking the cap back on.. And good lol. That makes it WAY easier lol. Between the heat and the water you should be just fine.
Gotcha. So basically just pry the cap off under the chrome part?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Good to hear it's going great, gonna look awesome when finished!

If you have to take a razor knife the that beautiful finish of yours, make sure you don't cut into the clear coat or even the BASE COAT! The original owner of my 2010 GT did and cut a very visible circle into the base coat around my faux gas cap and around the 3rd brake light. A $400 detail job (paint correction as professionals call it) managed to wet sand some of the cutting in my hood out, but my rear decklid is f***ed.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Good to hear it's going great, gonna look awesome when finished!

If you have to take a razor knife the that beautiful finish of yours, make sure you don't cut into the clear coat or even the BASE COAT! The original owner of my 2010 GT did and cut a very visible circle into the base coat around my faux gas cap and around the 3rd brake light. A $400 detail job (paint correction as professionals call it) managed to wet sand some of the cutting in my hood out, but my rear decklid is f***ed.
Hahaha thanks man. Trust me, we are being EXTREMELY careful so far. Im very anal about my paint, so we are not taking any chances lol. It looks so badass so far. Can wait to finish it up. I love the matte black on gloss black look. Looks great with my charcoal amrs too. Gonna match my bike perfect as well lol.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gotcha. So basically just pry the cap off under the chrome part?
exactly
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
exactly
Good deal. Wish us luck lol. Thanks again man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT