Torn between a dyno tune or AED - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Torn between a dyno tune or AED

Currently my mods are JLT intake, Boss IM, Lethal Off road X and Ford racing mufflers, I want to ensure i am getting the most out of my modifications especially the boss intake, I am considering having MPT performance in Orlando Dyno tune my car it will only cost me 200 as I am a current customer, I have also been considering an e tune from Shaun at AED, the only cons I can think of with MPT is they are more known in the v6 world but the guys there have worked for SCT for over 6 years, what you guys think? VMP tuning is very near me but I cant afford the 550 Justin wants to dyno tune.

Btw should I add a larger TB prior to getting re tuned?
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If adding a bigger tb yeah go ahead and do that first and if you can get a good dyno tune for $200 and have a good set of mods for it to be beneficial go for it.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I vote dyno tune.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Idk AED is really good. They have a branch about 30-45 minutes from my house and that's where EVERY mustang guy in my area goes.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't AED only do dyno tunes
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Doesn't AED only do dyno tunes
I thought so, I guess they do a tunes as well apparently

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
AED does email tunes via datalogs, same as most. Tons of them out there.

The dyno tune is the quickest/safest way to get to something specific to your car...if the dyno operator and tuner know what they are doing.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
AED does email tunes via datalogs, same as most. Tons of them out there.

The dyno tune is the quickest/safest way to get to something specific to your car...if the dyno operator and tuner know what they are doing.
AEDs E tune is also 250 for one map which makes it one of the most expensive ones, it should be noted that shaun actually tunes and you are not sent a generic can tune
13 GT Premium 3:73 JLT Boss IM Lethal OR/X Ford Racing Mufflers
s1975OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
No need to waste money on a custom dyno tune when one only has bolt on mods. Your going to get similar HP and torque results whether you go with Dyno tune , MPT tune , Bama tune, Steeda Tune, VMP tune and so on. A dyno tune is not going to give you amazing numbers over say MPT tune. At best you may squeeze 2 to 3 more HP out of a dyno tune and that's if your lucky. Not worth the cost when it comes to only having bolt on mods. Go with MPT, they provide awesome added performance and an email tune is the way to go for people with bolt on mods.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
No need to waste money on a custom dyno tune when one only has bolt on mods. Your going to get similar HP and torque results whether you go with Dyno tune , MPT tune , Bama tune, Steeda Tune, VMP tune and so on. A dyno tune is not going to give you amazing numbers over say MPT tune. At best you may squeeze 2 to 3 more HP out of a dyno tune and that's if your lucky. Not worth the cost when it comes to only having bolt on mods. Go with MPT, they provide awesome added performance and an email tune is the way to go for people with bolt on mods.
I would agree.
U could get a mail order tune then have a dyno tune later to see if they can squeeze out anymore and have it stored on your sct. I recommend Lamotta in Longwood...near Orlando. I believe they only charge $75 for a quick tune, but u need a tuner to load it on.
Troy
Old 12-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I wodnt say that a dyno tune is not worth it.. I had a e mail tuning with AED/Shaun and my car was falling flat on its face above 6800 rpm. Now my car has 11.5:1 built bottom , boss manifold , frpp pulse ring, oil pump gears, MMR head cooling mod, bbk long tubes, 3" off road x , kooks exhaust.. my car on a dyno jet would only do a best of 407 sae with this combo / AED tune.. now the car ran smooth and it felt great until up top.. Shaun wanted another 250 on top of the 250 for 93 tu e and 100 for e85 so so I already had 350 into the AED tuning.
What the problem was is he said he hasn't done a car with this combo and would need to do remote session adjusting the cam timing and other things.. I may still go this route..

My buddy Jon Lund was in contact and he wanted the car up at evolution and knew there would have to be changes mad to cam timing due to the raised compression a d refused to do remote or email tuning. And the result I am happy with.. 425-430rwhp on a MD dyno. Car traps mid 120's na and the motor is built for boost.

So moral is sometimes a in house dyno tune can and is worth it over email tunes
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
I wodnt say that a dyno tune is not worth it.. I had a e mail tuning with AED/Shaun and my car was falling flat on its face above 6800 rpm. Now my car has 11.5:1 built bottom , boss manifold , frpp pulse ring, oil pump gears, MMR head cooling mod, bbk long tubes, 3" off road x , kooks exhaust.. my car on a dyno jet would only do a best of 407 sae with this combo / AED tune.. now the car ran smooth and it felt great until up top.. Shaun wanted another 250 on top of the 250 for 93 tu e and 100 for e85 so so I already had 350 into the AED tuning.
What the problem was is he said he hasn't done a car with this combo and would need to do remote session adjusting the cam timing and other things.. I may still go this route..

My buddy Jon Lund was in contact and he wanted the car up at evolution and knew there would have to be changes mad to cam timing due to the raised compression a d refused to do remote or email tuning. And the result I am happy with.. 425-430rwhp on a MD dyno. Car traps mid 120's na and the motor is built for boost.

So moral is sometimes a in house dyno tune can and is worth it over email tunes
I have:
CAI
Straight pipes
Cat back
Boss IM
BAMA 93 Hybrid

I put down 423whp

Your car even though its got a built bottom end its still a bolton configuration cuz the internals don't add anything.

AED could have adjusted your cars parameters by remote session or data logging.

I would still bet Shaun could have gotten your car to about 420425whp range.

So unless you have FI later on or NOS then 1-5hp isn't worth the few hundred or so over email tunes.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I have:
CAI
Straight pipes
Cat back
Boss IM
BAMA 93 Hybrid

I put down 423whp

Your car even though its got a built bottom end its still a bolton configuration cuz the internals don't add anything.

AED could have adjusted your cars parameters by remote session or data logging.

I would still bet Shaun could have gotten your car to about 420425whp range.

So unless you have FI later on or NOS then 1-5hp isn't worth the few hundred or so over email tunes.

actually a higher compression bottom end will add something! It adds more cylinder pressure along with it airflow (equivalent to around 1-3 psi depending on how much higher than stock compression you go).. Also when the cylinder pressure is added the cams timing and airflow will be changed. In a stock 11.1 compression motor there isn't much cam timing (very little depending on mods and application) to be adjusted, more or so AFR and actual spark timing, But when A higher compression bottom end is added well the cam timing changed along with cylinder pressures and all together had to be optimize when and where in the rpm rev range power was going to be made.. So a bit more than just a basic bolt on...

Like I said In SOME cases.. IE mine a dyno tune was better suited..

Also you are a bolt on car and a email tune well there isn't much to be changed.. Shaun had mentioned he hasn't done my combo before, and the data logging and email tuning is as close as he could get without having the car in his hands to DYNO tune it.. so on top of my $350 with shaun I would have had to pay another $250 for remote session with him.. so that's get the calculator out $600.00 and to rent the dyno another $200 for the day and that was a total of $800.00 at the time waiting for emails and renting the dyno were not optimal in my case.

So my $350 for Lund to have my car in house in his hands making all the changes for making optimal power and drivability well is a no brainer. it made a ton more power and it runs it's balls off. It traps mid 120's and runs low 11's in NA form, And hasn't been hit with any spray yet. I am sure Shaun/aed can make the car just as much power just at the time to rent a dyno and wait wasn't what I wanted to do at the time.. will I eventually let shaun finish? most likely since I do have money invested, but it will have to wait until I am able to have access to a dyno and the time to do so.

my 425-430rwhp numbers were on a lower reading MD (mustang Dyno) not dyno jet.. I have been on a dyno jet and it is 445-450rwhp SAE And again I have and do run mid-low 11's depending on prep and trap in the mid 120's N/A, I have the motor built for boost and have yet to apply any FI/Nitrous yet.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

actually a higher compression bottom end will add something! It adds more cylinder pressure along with it airflow (equivalent to around 1-3 psi depending on how much higher than stock compression you go).. Also when the cylinder pressure is added the cams timing and airflow will be changed. In a stock 11.1 compression motor there isn't much cam timing (very little depending on mods and application) to be adjusted, more or so AFR and actual spark timing, But when A higher compression bottom end is added well the cam timing changed along with cylinder pressures and all together had to be optimize when and where in the rpm rev range power was going to be made.. So a bit more than just a basic bolt on...

Like I said In SOME cases.. IE mine a dyno tune was better suited..

Also you are a bolt on car and a email tune well there isn't much to be changed.. Shaun had mentioned he hasn't done my combo before, and the data logging and email tuning is as close as he could get without having the car in his hands to DYNO tune it.. so on top of my $350 with shaun I would have had to pay another $250 for remote session with him.. so that's get the calculator out $600.00 and to rent the dyno another $200 for the day and that was a total of $800.00 at the time waiting for emails and renting the dyno were not optimal in my case.

So my $350 for Lund to have my car in house in his hands making all the changes for making optimal power and drivability well is a no brainer. it made a ton more power and it runs it's balls off. It traps mid 120's and runs low 11's in NA form, And hasn't been hit with any spray yet. I am sure Shaun/aed can make the car just as much power just at the time to rent a dyno and wait wasn't what I wanted to do at the time.. will I eventually let shaun finish? most likely since I do have money invested, but it will have to wait until I am able to have access to a dyno and the time to do so.

my 425-430rwhp numbers were on a lower reading MD (mustang Dyno) not dyno jet.. I have been on a dyno jet and it is 445-450rwhp SAE And again I have and do run mid-low 11's depending on prep and trap in the mid 120's N/A, I have the motor built for boost and have yet to apply any FI/Nitrous yet.
Damn you run mid to low 11's with just about 425whp-450? That's even better than the 13 GT500 with 656hp (557whp or so)....... Hell that's better than the super snake with over 850hp on street tires.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn you run mid to low 11's with just about 425whp-450? That's even better than the 13 GT500 with 656hp (557whp or so)....... Hell that's better than the super snake with over 850hp on street tires.
what???
not sure if serious or just not a good driver?
if you cant get low 11's with a 420+ ca, good track prep, dr's or Slicks and a good driver with a M6 than an auto is your friend.. if no to all the above than get a civic cause there is no hope.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

what???
not sure if serious or just not a good driver?
if you cant get low 11's with a 420+ ca, good track prep, dr's or Slicks and a good driver with a M6 than an auto is your friend.. if no to all the above than get a civic cause there is no hope.
Oh snap Dallas77 you need to get a civic. I believe that man just threw yo stuff under the bus. You gonna take that smack from the forum newbie and let him pink you like that?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

not throwing or talking smack.. Not sure if on this forum 11 or 10 sec all motor n/a coyotes aren't the norm or what, but facts are facts, and times are times.. I run what I run and consistently based off of the tracks prep for that day. But I have never run slower than a 11.8 in bolt on form never!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not throwing or talking smack.. Not sure if on this forum 11 or 10 sec all motor n/a coyotes aren't the norm or what, but facts are facts, and times are times.. I run what I run and consistently based off of the tracks prep for that day. But I have never run slower than a 11.8 in bolt on form never!
Isn't 11.8 way different than low 11's.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Isn't 11.8 way different than low 11's.
reading comp 101..
I have never ran SLOWER than a 11.8 time.. I run A consistent low 11's (11.4-11.2-11.3) depending on track prep, DA!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

reading comp 101..
I have never ran SLOWER than a 11.8 time.. I run A consistent low 11's (11.4-11.2-11.3) depending on track prep, DA!
What area you in? Are you running Cecil County track
Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What area you in? Are you running Cecil County track
Delaware, its considered in the north east/mid atlantic region. And I run at cecil county dragway.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Delaware, its considered in the north east/mid atlantic region. And I run at cecil county dragway.
The track prep at Cecil is awesome. What part of Delaware you from? Newark, New Castle, Middletown, Dover?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

ET-MPH-HP Calculator

Numbers don't add up. Not unless ur actually pullin 600 hp....or ur car weight 2500 lbs.
Math is math. Would love to see a slip on this.
Troy
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

here you go.. the slowest of my slips and slowest mph, on a sat with track prep in the so so range.. bogged a bit and shifting @7200.. car had 1000 miles on motor since the rebuild, Full weight 11 premium, full tank of fuel, 20" street wheels and tires up front, 28" dr on rear @ 22psi, drove car an hour to get there and All runs were N/A never shut the car off and made no adjustments to tire pressure or suspension.

Also have never had my car on a scale!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
ET-MPH-HP Calculator

Numbers don't add up. Not unless ur actually pullin 600 hp....or ur car weight 2500 lbs.
Math is math. Would love to see a slip on this.
Troy
not sure on that calc thing you posted but I would assume that's crank power? and never had my car on a scale
Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

not sure on that calc thing you posted but I would assume that's crank power? and never had my car on a scale
Is that HP to the crank or wheels you enter?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is that HP to the crank or wheels you enter?
not sure but reading the print on the side it says "These equations are for recreation only.
Not a substitute for actual testing" so I wouldn't use that to judge et and trap speeds or weight of a slug going down a 1/4 or 1/8 strip.. it's obviously way off!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

not sure but reading the print on the side it says "These equations are for recreation only.
Not a substitute for actual testing" so I wouldn't use that to judge et and trap speeds or weight of a slug going down a 1/4 or 1/8 strip.. it's obviously way off!
Lol.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Very impressive.
I think ur car is lighter than u think, and more hp than u think. Using rwhp and accurate weights, it is pretty accurate normally. I have used this on mine, and others slips knowing rwhp and real weights. Yes, this is just a guide, and not the word of god.
Troy
Old 12-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Racing dyno sheets is a FAIL. The only way to know what a car will do is at the track. Driver mod, traction, conditions, etc., are all things a dyno sheet has no control over.
agit8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh snap Dallas77 you need to get a civic. I believe that man just threw yo stuff under the bus. You gonna take that smack from the forum newbie and let him pink you like that?
Lol dude is probably superman. Well supergirl cuz she got her red tighties all in a bunch.

Hey more power to you if you can pull low 11's with just 420-430whp. You're doing what millions if not billions of dollars at Ford and Shelby and Roush combined couldn't do with 656hp-850hp. But then again they weren't running slicks and skinnies.

I stated the facts of benchmarks. If you get all wound up cuz u think I'm questioning you're manhood... Can't help you there.

But cool if you run 11's/12's/or9's. You should up and turn pro.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol dude is probably superman.......

Your lack of drag racing knowledge really shines in this post. While I'm not going to defend anyone, you DO know the difference between the poster's car and a Shelby or Roush that you are talking about, correct? Let me break some of it down for you:

60 ft time - Most cars on STREET tires with a stock suspension will pull a 2.1-2.4 60ft. Notice the 1.6 60ft time, hence the suspension and tires.

He is making MORE power than a stock 5.0. Higher compression and I am sure he is probably turning the motor higher that a stock 5.0. Note the 120mph trap.

The whole benchmarks comment is just silly. I've run 13.7@107/2.1 60ft w/260RWHP in a heavy 04 SN95 with bald street tires. I was there during a street car night beating cars making much more power. That's because a lot of people who have a manual transmission car have no business racing it. It's not about the power, but how efficiently you put it to the ground.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agit8or View Post

Your lack of drag racing knowledge really shines in this post. While I'm not going to defend anyone, you DO know the difference between the poster's car and a Shelby or Roush that you are talking about, correct? Let me break some of it down for you:

60 ft time - Most cars on STREET tires with a stock suspension will pull a 2.1-2.4 60ft. Notice the 1.6 60ft time, hence the suspension and tires.

He is making MORE power than a stock 5.0. Higher compression and I am sure he is probably turning the motor higher that a stock 5.0. Note the 120mph trap.

The whole benchmarks comment is just silly. I've run 13.7@107/2.1 60ft w/260RWHP in a heavy 04 SN95 with bald street tires. I was there during a street car night beating cars making much more power. That's because a lot of people who have a manual transmission car have no business racing it. It's not about the power, but how efficiently you put it to the ground.
In his post never stated running on slicks or skinnies or street tires or with hot air balloons. He didnt state his suspension setup either.

I try not to assume anything unless the poster states it. So as you stated 2.1-2.4 60ft times stock. Street tires with mods and tune is about 1.8s.

So am I to make an assumption that he's got also a race gas tune that he loads everytime he gets to the track even though he didnt state so?

Just cuz both of you have the commonality of having an 8 in your names don't mean you gotta be butt hurt also on his behalf.

And as for "benchmark" stock numbers and test figures are absolutely legitimate figures. Not silly at all. What else would you call benchmark? A funny car? A supercharged 700hp with nothing but springs? What if he's still running stock Pirellis? Then that's a good benchmark for you I suppose?

I can say the benchmark for a 545hp Nissan GTR AWD does 0-60mph and the 1/4 in 10.8-10.9s. Incidentally a Porsche 911 Turbo does almost exactly the same.

A 420hp GT does it in 4.3s-ish and 12.8s or so which a Camaro SS does almost the same.

As does 2013 M3 does it in 4.3-4.4s and the quarter in 12.8s.

Those are benchmarks. A GT500 656hp does it in 3.5s and 11.5s.

Its a better benchmark than aftermarket setups cuz with aftermarket there's too much variances. If you really wanna benchmark by the aftermarket setups then the OP or whoever posts needs to list every single mod and more importantly so are complete suspension setups.

He just focused on power mods so I followed his lead assuming light suspension mods if any.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You call BS on people and I am butthurt? LOL! Go re-read his posts. He clearly states what the car had when he ran the times posted. A good driver is going to run better than 12.8's with basic bolt ons. Between the bolt ons, built motor with more compression, drag radials, etc., I'm not sure why you doubt the run. Hell, drag radials alone can be worth .5 second vs. street tires.

I'm not butthurt at all, just using common sense, but apparently it's not that common. You sound upset because you not only lack common sense, you have little drag racing experience. Just because you go to the track and run crappy times, don't doubt others. Sounds like maybe you need a driver mod.

You then try and justify your illogical halfwitted reply with GTR this and M3 that. We are talking about what a MUSTANG will do. While I know it may be difficult for your mind to stay on topic, try and follow along. I'm sure you can find other sites on the innerwebz to go 'benchmark'.

He posted his slip and posted his mods. He even posted that his car does 420 or so on a MD dyno. I'd be willing to bet that's 450-460 STD corrected on a Dynojet. You are calling BS because YOU don't think it's possible.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

FYI, your complex mathematical equation of xxx HP = xx.xx 1/4 is a very flawed one.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agit8or View Post
You call BS on people and I am butthurt? LOL! Go re-read his posts. He clearly states what the car had when he ran the times posted. A good driver is going to run better than 12.8's with basic bolt ons. Between the bolt ons, built motor with more compression, drag radials, etc., I'm not sure why you doubt the run. Hell, drag radials alone can be worth .5 second vs. street tires.

I'm not butthurt at all, just using common sense, but apparently it's not that common. You sound upset because you not only lack common sense, you have little drag racing experience. Just because you go to the track and run crappy times, don't doubt others. Sounds like maybe you need a driver mod.

You then try and justify your illogical halfwitted reply with GTR this and M3 that. We are talking about what a MUSTANG will do. While I know it may be difficult for your mind to stay on topic, try and follow along. I'm sure you can find other sites on the innerwebz to go 'benchmark'.

He posted his slip and posted his mods. He even posted that his car does 420 or so on a MD dyno. I'd be willing to bet that's 450-460 STD corrected on a Dynojet. You are calling BS because YOU don't think it's possible.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

FYI, your complex mathematical equation of xxx HP = xx.xx 1/4 is a very flawed one.
Lol fuktard re-read my posts. I never stated any formula. And if you can't understand my statements about GTRs and M3s and GT500s then next time I'll keep my posts short because of your limited cognitive capabilities.

Me butt hurt? Nahh... I call you a fukctard because you are a fukctard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT