Cracked Radio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Cracked Radio

Has anyone gotten lots of little cracks in the radio screen? They just popped up a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if its because of the cold or not. Any help is much appreciated!
757WhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
same thing happened to mine when I first bought the stang attempted to get it fixed when I took it in for the first oil change but they didn't so I told the service guy this time when I took it in for a flickering traction control button and now they said they're ordering a whole new head unit :j

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I assumed it was from the Texas heat since I bought the stang in the summer and noticed you can see the cracks more at night
2013 FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What would it look like?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

looks like this .. took one with and without flash didn't know which one looked more clear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1428265413.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	141027   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2839499320.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	141028  

Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
That sucks. I never had a problem when I lived in the desert of California with my 12. Hope that doesn't happen on this one. Hopefully you are still under B2B
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Merican5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yea I was just guessing about the heat but my stang only have 7k miles so def covered under warranty

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

don't know about the original poster though
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had this same issue in my '13 when she was new. After about a month (still middle of summer), I noticed these spiderwebby cracks in that piece of plastic. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a whole new head unit and replaced it under warranty.

They said it was a known issue and didn't give me any grief over it.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 FiveO View Post
looks like this .. took one with and without flash didn't know which one looked more clear
Mine is doing that too, just not as bad. I thought maybe the Po used the wrong type of cleaner on it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That looks like a phenomenon that affects plastics when they are placed under physical stress. It's called crazing. It can happen when the parts are improperly molded with residual stresses, or if the part is forced to deform slightly when placed into an assembly. Exposure to the wrong solvents, such as might be present in some cleaning agents can cause this too.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Looks like someone thought they had a touch screen lol
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
mine has like a foggy sprayed with cleaner look. I haven't tried to clean it yet so I am hoping it comes off. I think the dealer cleaned it with something. What would be the best thing to clean it with?
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
My 13' has done the same thing. I thought it may have been caused by a chemical, but I've only used a damp microfiber cloth to clean mine. I didn't think the dealer would do anything for it so I haven't taken it in, but maybe I'll take it in now since others have reported that they've had theirs replaced. The day after I took this picture the whole screen looked cracked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	1,018.7 KB
ID:	141425  
Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm glad it's not just mine. What's crazy is mind just happened in the winter and I've had the car for a year and a half with 22,000 miles on her. It happened the first night we had a freeze. But since I live at the beach it doesn't happen very often. I'm going to take it to the dealership and see what they'll do for me.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mine has the same issue! ill be taking it in for replacement now! Thanks for the info
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I went by the dealership today and they said they'd replace it under warranty no problem. They said I was only the 2nd one they've had. Anyway I'll be getting it changed out after Christmas.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Happened to my 14 after only a week. Replaced under warranty. Barely touched it with a micro fiber cloth. Seems like the anti scratch coating isn't properly applied.
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My 2014 GT has done this but it's not actually the display on the radio itself but on the display in front of the radio. My dealer would not warranty mine saying that someone damaged the screen. I took it to another dealer almost a month ago but they said they can't send the new pictures because their system is down. I'm not having much hope that it will get fixed. I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures here so I can't show you what mine is like.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for posting this! I thought mine had just been scratched up by the last owner. Now I know I can take it to Ford.
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I uploaded some pictures to my album so you guys can view them there. Click on "view my pictures" under my user name. I took these at night to cut down on the glare from outside.

Wayne
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
70monte that is the screen on mine that was messed up. Looked just like that after 1 week. It was definitely a defect. Keep fighting for them to replace it. It is a known issue.
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timle8n1 View Post
70monte that is the screen on mine that was messed up. Looked just like that after 1 week. It was definitely a defect. Keep fighting for them to replace it. It is a known issue.

I've taken it to the original dealer twice and both times the service manager said that it was caused by damage and he would not warranty it. I also talked to Ford CS and they said that they have to go with what the SM says because he is the one that actually looks at it. The Ford CS guy recommended for me to take it to another dealer and that is what I did but that was on November 22nd and still no word. I did call the dealership over a week ago to check on what the status was and he said that the system was down and he couldn't send the pictures in.

Mine has gotten progressively worse since the temps have dropped. I bought the car in August and there wasn't anything initially but then a small line appeared and then it has gotten worse as time went on.

This is my first new Ford and only my second Ford since 1989 and I'm pretty disappointed in how they are handling this situation. I didn't damage the screen yet they want me to pay for it. I guess I will call the dealership again tomorrow and see what they say.

Wayne
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I've taken it to the original dealer twice and both times the service manager said that it was caused by damage and he would not warranty it. I also talked to Ford CS and they said that they have to go with what the SM says because he is the one that actually looks at it. The Ford CS guy recommended for me to take it to another dealer and that is what I did but that was on November 22nd and still no word. I did call the dealership over a week ago to check on what the status was and he said that the system was down and he couldn't send the pictures in.

Mine has gotten progressively worse since the temps have dropped. I bought the car in August and there wasn't anything initially but then a small line appeared and then it has gotten worse as time went on.

This is my first new Ford and only my second Ford since 1989 and I'm pretty disappointed in how they are handling this situation. I didn't damage the screen yet they want me to pay for it. I guess I will call the dealership again tomorrow and see what they say.

Wayne
I hope the other dealer comes through for you. If nothing else maybe this thread can help. When my dealer fixes it I'll post pics of the paperwork and them changing it out so you can show them that other dealers warranty it. It's worth a shot at least.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757WhiteGT View Post
I hope the other dealer comes through for you. If nothing else maybe this thread can help. When my dealer fixes it I'll post pics of the paperwork and them changing it out so you can show them that other dealers warranty it. It's worth a shot at least.

I appreciate it. I did call the dealership but the service advisor I've been dealing with was not in so I called the guy at Ford CS who I've been dealing with to see if they had received any of the new pictures yet. He said they haven't received anything and will contact the dealership to see if they are still having problems with sending the pictures. I guess it's still a waiting game.

Wayne
Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I heard back from the dealer today and Ford told them they would not warranty the screen because they said it got scratched or some type of cleaner messed it up. I think it's a bunch of BS but I'm not surprised as this has been their stance the entire time. I also think it's BS that some people can get this covered under warranty and others cannot. This will be the last Ford I buy that is for sure. I spend over $28,000 for this car and they cannot warranty a $110 part. I hope that nothing more serious ever happens to this car as I'm sure Ford will do everything they can to not warranty it.

I will say that the service advisor that I had been working with at this other dealership was very helpful and did all he could to help me.

Wayne
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Just wanted to give an update on my situation. Ford has finally agreed to fix mine under warranty and the second dealer that I dealt with has ordered the new part and will call me when it gets in so I can make an appointment to get it installed. I'm just grateful to whomever it was that convinced Ford to fix this. I hope others with this same issue can get theirs fixed under warranty.

Wayne
Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Good deal!

-Jeff-
STOC 025
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome glad to hear it!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #28

Region: Oregon
New guy here. I had mine replaced under warranty. Same thing is happening to my 12 f150... I am in the NW so it does get cold here. Not sure if the cold weather has anything to do with it.

CJ
Red13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT