Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Region: Maryland
Exhaust

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I was thinking about buying a Roush Axle Back exhaust for my 12' GT, but it is "illegal" in MD. What are your guys experiences with aftermarket exhaust systems. Has anybody actually got cited for an axle-back being "too loud". The Maryland law is pretty vague, it just states that "you can't have any exhaust system louder than stock". This sounds pretty biased to me, because there are plenty of stock cars that are louder than most axel-back exhausts.
rherb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rherb52 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. I was thinking about buying a Roush Axle Back exhaust for my 12' GT, but it is "illegal" in MD. What are your guys experiences with aftermarket exhaust systems. Has anybody actually got cited for an axle-back being "too loud". The Maryland law is pretty vague, it just states that "you can't have any exhaust system louder than stock". This sounds pretty biased to me, because there are plenty of stock cars that are louder than most axel-back exhausts.
I've had one friend where I live pulled over.
He was running LTs, an OR X and muffler deletes and a giant cam.

They really can't prove it unless they even know what they are looking for.

Plus the roush are pretty tame, I say do it.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Btw welcome
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The roush axle backs are anything but tame. They're one of the most, if not the most, aggressive axle backs out there. The majority of people don't run them with an OR midpipe or with longtubes because it gets so loud.

I love my Roush axle backs the way they are right now. They're awesome if that's the only thing you want to do exhaust wise.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
The roush axle backs are anything but tame. They're one of the most, if not the most, aggressive axle backs out there. The majority of people don't run them with an OR midpipe or with longtubes because it gets so loud.

I love my Roush axle backs the way they are right now. They're awesome if that's the only thing you want to do exhaust wise.
Tame as in deep note.
It's chambered so it will be quieter than a straight thru, I guess I consider them tame because I'm running a straight thru set up.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post

Tame as in deep note.
It's chambered so it will be quieter than a straight thru, I guess I consider them tame because I'm running a straight thru set up.
I have the Roush, they are tame until you go wot, that's when they come alive.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
The cops can write you a ticket if they feel you're exhaust causes a distraction ... A highway patrolman told me this out here in Cali
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
The cops can write you a ticket if they feel you're exhaust causes a distraction ... A highway patrolman told me this out here in Cali
Never trust pigs. They lie and are manipulative conniving swines.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote:
But... You're right
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I live in VA, about 15-20 min from the Maryland border. So although i do most of my commuting in VA, I do spend quite a bit of time in MD. Ive had Roush axlebacks on mine for almost 20k miles, and have never had a problem with either state. And i have owned much louder cars in the past as well.

Just as a heads up though , if you do any driving in VA, VA state cops HATE tinted windows. I've been ticketed twice for it in a year. They seem to care less about exhaust.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I live in VA, about 15-20 min from the Maryland border. So although i do most of my commuting in VA, I do spend quite a bit of time in MD. Ive had Roush axlebacks on mine for almost 20k miles, and have never had a problem with either state. And i have owned much louder cars in the past as well. Just as a heads up though , if you do any driving in VA, VA state cops HATE tinted windows. I've been ticketed twice for it in a year. They seem to care less about exhaust.
I'm in southern VA, I have a friend that has a v6 convertible( the one that has an unknown problem with the car) has illegal tint, and has never been pulled, yet someone else in the school got pulled and ticketed for an illegal tint, by 1%...
I want to get my windows tinted, mainly a UV tint, but also slightly darker.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I'm in southern VA, I have a friend that has a v6 convertible( the one that has an unknown problem with the car) has illegal tint, and has never been pulled, yet someone else in the school got pulled and ticketed for an illegal tint, by 1%...
I want to get my windows tinted, mainly a UV tint, but also slightly darker.
Yeah they seem WAY more lenient the further south you go. I'm way up in northern VA though, and they really seem to hate tint here. I've had several friends get ticketed as well. But no one I know has been hassled for exhaust.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 12-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah they seem WAY more lenient the further south you go. I'm way up in northern VA though, and they really seem to hate tint here. I've had several friends get ticketed as well. But no one I know has been hassled for exhaust.
That's good, cause I'm thinking of some deep, and loud AB's. Y'all already know which ones...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Get the 10-12 GT500 exhaust. Cheap and sounds awesome. No drone, tame when cruising, loud when you punch it.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This thread makes me sad! I run a full exhaust and it's loud enough to make your ears bleed lol. Plus I have 25% tint and I couldn't imagine my car without either one.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
This thread makes me sad! I run a full exhaust and it's loud enough to make your ears bleed lol. Plus I have 25% tint and I couldn't imagine my car without either one.
I run illegal tint in PA and will be going o/r h in the next year, so don't be that sad. I think most people on here are at least a little illegal.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh me either. I have a high flow x, with roush axlebacks now, and its LOUD. 20% tint as well. I dont care how many tint tickets i get. Its not coming off. I HATE the fishbowl look. Especially on a black car.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Roush is (in my eyes) the best out there. I cried for the whole car ride after I got rid of mine.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Roush is (in my eyes) the best out there. I cried for the whole car ride after I got rid of mine.
Lol. Its not for everyone, but for those who want a deep tone at idle and cruising, with a balls to the wall sound at WOT its perfect. Why did you get rid of them?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. Its not for everyone, but for those who want a deep tone at idle and cruising, with a balls to the wall sound at WOT its perfect. Why did you get rid of them?
let people tell me that with an o/r x they would be unbearable. So I toned them down to gt500's.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
let people tell me that with an o/r x they would be unbearable. So I toned them down to gt500's.
Ahhh Gotcha. Cant say I've heard an o/r x in person with them. But my high flow x made them ALOT louder. Especially at cruising speeds. Still not much drone though, so its tolerable. Absolutely screams at WOT.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhh Gotcha. Cant say I've heard an o/r x in person with them. But my high flow x made them ALOT louder. Especially at cruising speeds. Still not much drone though, so its tolerable. Absolutely screams at WOT.
yeah. I loved the way it screamed.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #21

It just doesn't make sense how if you put a Roush AB on your GT it is "illegal" but the louder stock exhausts on the Mustang Roush Stage 3 are legal. Stupid politicians, don't they have anything better to do than make exhaust laws that don't even make sense.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Georgia cops don't care about tint or exhaust! Or maybe that's cause at least two of the cops in my town hung out with me at the NMCA nationals in Commerce, Ga back in the spring with their modified foxbodies! Haha
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #23

Quote:
What state is that it?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It just doesn't make sense how if you put a Roush AB on your GT it is "illegal" but the louder stock exhausts on the Mustang Roush Stage 3 are legal. Stupid politicians, don't they have anything better to do than make exhaust laws that don't even make sense.
Yeah its stupid. Nothing but the local governments trying to generate income for the state. In northern VA atleast, altering the exhaust in any way shape or form, that increases the decimal level is deemed illegal, and can actually be cited as a noise ordinance violation as well if someone complains during specific hours between 11pm and 6am. That being said I've never actually had any personal tickets, nor have all my friends because of it. I have however had a friend get cited for suspension modifications on his ls1 camaro, as well as a ticket for running MT et street radials on the street, even though they are DOT approved. The tire ticket got dropped, but he actually had to pay a $120 ticket for "altering factory suspension components".

Although I respect the law, and appreciate everything officers due around our great country - putting their lifes at risk day in and day out, unfortunately some of them are slaves to the system, trying to meet their quotas on BS laws like i mentioned above.

That being said, the majority of the officers around here could care less, as long as you are obeying the normal traffic laws, but there are a few ******** out there, who like to hassle car enthusiasts.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

What actually pisses me off is I ran no mufflers for a while in between set ups. And pulled up at a red light next to a Harley. There was no way you could hear my exhaust over his exhaust.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What state is that it?
In TEXAS!! Here it's legal to street drive race cars if you want. The drivers around you are what's scary though. All you have to do is pass a written test to get a license here and it shows. Any major highway in a big city might as well be 20mph speed limit. Because everyone on the highway likes to drive slow and look around.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Hey guys,

Are there many Harley Davidson's in your area with loud exhausts? Base it off that if you see bikes pulled over with loud exhaust do not get one. If not go for it.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Laws from state to state vary. New York has a db level for noise the cops can right you a ticket foe excessively loud exhaust (i have never seen or heard of someone in NY get pulled over) but they must prove it is to loud and louder than db's allowed. New Yorkers are pretty lucky because the cops do not want the hassle of testing the car. Beside you could beat it in court no problem. It is the same with tinted window here to they have to prove your tint is letting in the proper amount of light allowed by law.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

That's good, cause I'm thinking of some deep, and loud AB's. Y'all already know which ones...
Flowmaster outlaws
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #29

I live in Maryland too. I put on Pypes A/B and haven't had any issues yet. I also have 15% tint and have had no issues. I've run 5% tint on my truck for the last 5 years with no issue. I really don't think you'll have an issue unless you have someone that is just out to get you.
menace21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Flowmaster outlaws
nah, RTR's
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just get the GT500 AB. They are basically a Ford muffler and I doubt any cop will know that they are not stock.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
and if you get pulled over by a cop who actually knows enough about mustangs to tell that they arent stock and he gives you a ticket for it, tell him he is forever banned from the mustang community for being a traitor.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #33

Region: Michigan
I like my GT 500 Axle Backs, they are mild at idle but decent sounding and aggressive when ever you are getting on it but quiet enough to be able to carry on a conversation at expressway speeds. Rev the engine at a light and everyone knows your there. They make you want to leave the radio off and the windows down so it works for me and the price was right. If there is a cop around you just let it idle down and you are good to go. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
In TEXAS!! Here it's legal to street drive race cars if you want. The drivers around you are what's scary though. All you have to do is pass a written test to get a license here and it shows. Any major highway in a big city might as well be 20mph speed limit. Because everyone on the highway likes to drive slow and look around.
I call BS on that. Every time I'm in Texas around Dallas or Houston, the highway speed limit seems like more of a suggestion. I was doing 75 and was holding up traffic. The other lanes were moving 90+mph.

Here in Kansas no one seems to care, at least in Wichita. I had open headers on my Camaro that would set off car alarms and never got pulled over in the 4 years I daily drove it, even downtown where it echoed like crazy. My Roush AB should be here on Thursday and I can't wait to get it on and terrorize people. Next on the list is an off-road x-pipe to make children weep.

Just to express how relaxed Kansas is...I've brought in two cars from out of state, one was that Camaro, the other was my MR2. The city had to inspect them in order to register them as street legal. The Camaro had dumps, no cats, illegal tint and no reverse lights. The MR2 had no speedometer, odometer, or front bumper, and illegal tint. I had no problems tagging them nor did I ever get pulled over.
KSconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

[/COLOR]

Flowmaster outlaws
Ditto the outlaws. I'd go offroad X but I've still got to pass Chicago emissions. If/when I do it, I'm replacing the outlaws with GT500s.

Around here, cops will nail you for illegal tint, no front plate, and excessively loud exhausts. I've not ever had a plate on the front of my car, and I'm at 30% tint all around so....If I figure out a way to go catless and still pass emissons, I should be set
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust