2011 Mustang Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
2011 Mustang Problem

Hey guys,

Any ideas on this noise?

It is coming from the transmission I believe. I have tightened all the bolts under the car and made sure nothing was rattling. It only happens at low rpms, and gets worse under load, such as driving up a hill.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How many miles on the car? I'm thinking something with the clutch?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
How many miles on the car? I'm thinking something with the clutch?
I have 40k miles on the car. The clutch is brand new, however, it did this before I replaced the clutch. I was hoping replacing the clutch would fix this problem.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Sounds honestly like your gears are trashed. Oil change?
Bgrizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgrizzzle View Post
Sounds honestly like your gears are trashed. Oil change?
I tried changing the gear oil. Didn't make much difference, if any at all.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Should still be under warranty right? I'd just take it in....see what they say.
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzopyrene View Post
Should still be under warranty right? I'd just take it in....see what they say.
That's the plan. I'm taking it in Thursday. I'm 99% sure it's the transmission. They should replace it under warranty. Can anything void the warranty on the transmission?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I took mine in for a pretty big whine. Had 2 separate transmission shops look at it and they said they could fix it but it would cost like $2500....really just wanted to confirm my suspicion. Took it to my FORD dealer...they requested ford replace my transmission, and ford denied it and said that it is supposed to whine and if you cant hear it with the radio on or AC on then its not bad enough. Problem is you can hear it with both on in my car, and still they would do nothing. I plan on replacing it with a tremec eventually, but I will never buy another FORD vehicle again... too bad for them I was getting ready to buy an F150 King ranch, but decided not too mainly based on this. A company that wont honor its warranty wont get my business. Too bad too since I've owned 4 mustangs in the last 16 years. Sorry thats my rant... Sounds like yours is a little more gnarly than mine...as its grinding correct? Hard to tell from my audio source sorry. I truely hope it works out for you. Keep us updated. Also dont know if replacing a clutch will effect your warranty. I would hope not, but dont know for sure.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I took mine in for a pretty big whine. Had 2 separate transmission shops look at it and they said they could fix it but it would cost like $2500....really just wanted to confirm my suspicion. Took it to my FORD dealer...they requested ford replace my transmission, and ford denied it and said that it is supposed to whine and if you cant hear it with the radio on or AC on then its not bad enough. Problem is you can hear it with both on in my car, and still they would do nothing. I plan on replacing it with a tremec eventually, but I will never buy another FORD vehicle again... too bad for them I was getting ready to buy an F150 King ranch, but decided not too mainly based on this. A company that wont honor its warranty wont get my business. Too bad too since I've owned 4 mustangs in the last 16 years. Sorry thats my rant... Sounds like yours is a little more gnarly than mine...as its grinding correct? Hard to tell from my audio source sorry. I truely hope it works out for you. Keep us updated. Also dont know if replacing a clutch will effect your warranty. I would hope not, but dont know for sure.
Mine has the whine too. Doesn't matter if the radio is on or off. I always just assumed it was the rear differential. I don't think the clutch would void it. Besides, the factory clutch was terrible and would shutter a lot. I hope they just replace it. If they do, I'm going to look at trading in and getting something else. This is a great car, but I seem to have nothing but problems with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post

I have 40k miles on the car. The clutch is brand new, however, it did this before I replaced the clutch. I was hoping replacing the clutch would fix this problem.
Did you replace the flywheel with the clutch? It's definitely something to do with the transmission, also WTF haven't you taken this to Ford? I would have taken it in the second I started hearing those noises in my car!
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

So it sounds like it's the loudest when you have the most load on the drivetrain, like in the lower gears. As you shift up, the noise becomes less and less. Correct?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Hey guys,

Any ideas on this noise?

It is coming from the transmission I believe. I have tightened all the bolts under the car and made sure nothing was rattling. It only happens at low rpms, and gets worse under load, such as driving up a hill.
MT-82 crap. Sorry about your problems take it to the dealer.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post

MT-82 crap. Sorry about your problems take it to the dealer.
My replacement should be in tomorrow
Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

How did you get them to get you a replacement trans? They were very unhelpful with mine. Just curious!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How did you get them to get you a replacement trans? They were very unhelpful with mine. Just curious!
I needed a synchro replaced and it was going to take months to get the parts and tools to install so Ford approved a complete replacement to speed the process up. It ended up taking three months anyways :/
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Did you replace the flywheel with the clutch? It's definitely something to do with the transmission, also WTF haven't you taken this to Ford? I would have taken it in the second I started hearing those noises in my car!
I replaced the flywheel and clutch twice. Only reason I didn't take it to ford was because it has never been this bad before. I used to only wine a bit, and I thought it may just be the rear gears. I am dropping it off this morning.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
So it sounds like it's the loudest when you have the most load on the drivetrain, like in the lower gears. As you shift up, the noise becomes less and less. Correct?
That is exactly what happens. It isn't as noticeable going down a hill because there is no load on the transmission, but if I am going up a hill, it is very noticeable. I let the only shop I take the car to hear the noise and he was sure it was the transmission. We will see what ford comes back with...
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So here is the verdict I got from Ford. They didn't drop the transmission or anything. They just put it on a lift and simulated having a load on the drivetrain, and they said it was the clutch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3672480681.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	142244
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So here is the verdict I got from Ford. They didn't drop the transmission or anything. They just put it on a lift and simulated having a load on the drivetrain, and they said it was the clutch.
Are they going to replace the clutch?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are they going to replace the clutch?
Nope. They said the clutch only has a 12,000 mile 12 month warranty and that it would cost me $1600.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

They are not going to replace the clutch!?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They are not going to replace the clutch!?
Nope. It doesn't make sense to me. The car made this noise with the stock clutch and an after market clutch. I replaced the stock one about a year ago, and started getting some vibrations and noise, so I figured if I am going to pay somebody $800 in labor to just look at the trans and clutch, I might as well have them put a new clutch in while they are at it. They installed a ACT twin disc clutch and the vibrations and noise still continued...
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope. They said the clutch only has a 12,000 mile 12 month warranty and that it would cost me $1600.
That's why you should've taken it in the first time :/
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't sound fun at all man. I wish the best for you! Where you located at? I can try to get a hold of a couple shops for ya.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would argue that the clutch is part of the 5-year 60K mile powertrain warranty unless there is specific language in the warranty that excludes the clutch. If in the end you have to pay, I'm sure a good transmission shop could do it closer to half that price.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I would argue that the clutch is part of the 5-year 60K mile powertrain warranty unless there is specific language in the warranty that excludes the clutch. If in the end you have to pay, I'm sure a good transmission shop could do it closer to half that price.
The clutch is a wearable part like a brake pad and isn't covered in the powertrain warranty.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

That being said IF it is the transmission, the only way they will fix it is if you have them replace the clutch and the problem continues. :/
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That doesn't sound fun at all man. I wish the best for you! Where you located at? I can try to get a hold of a couple shops for ya.
I'm in Alpharetta, GA. Just north of Atlanta.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote:
That being said IF it is the transmission, the only way they will fix it is if you have them replace the clutch and the problem continues. :/
I'm going to go back to the installer to see if they can put the other clutch back in. Then I can take it back to ford again. Then we will see what kind of story they make up.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm in Alpharetta, GA. Just north of Atlanta.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

I'm going to go back to the installer to see if they can put the other clutch back in. Then I can take it back to ford again. Then we will see what kind of story they make up.
Bring it down to Macon I know ppl
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bring it down to Macon I know ppl
I may have to take you up on that if Ford and the installer don't stop blaming each other.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I may have to take you up on that if Ford and the installer don't stop blaming each other.
Is your car yellow blaze metallic?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is your car yellow blaze metallic?
Yep.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep.
A friend of mine has a '12 blaze manual Brembo premium with shaker, stripe package, side window louvers, I don't know what else but I know is super rare combo. I've only seen one other one in mustang that color :p
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A friend of mine has a '12 blaze manual Brembo premium with shaker, stripe package, side window louvers, I don't know what else but I know is super rare combo. I've only seen one other one in mustang that color :p
According to Ford I am 1 of 60 made in 2011. Not sure about 2012.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

According to Ford I am 1 of 60 made in 2011. Not sure about 2012.
There was a few more than 500 total built in '12. It was the lowest color built. Hers is probably close to your number if not less

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

BTW me and Whipple are most likely coming to the next caffeine and octane up there if you wanna meetup. The chick in the other blaze 5.0 might come as well :p
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There was a few more than 500 total built in '12. It was the lowest color built. Hers is probably close to your number if not less ---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ---------- BTW me and Whipple are most likely coming to the next caffeine and octane up there if you wanna meetup. The chick in the other blaze 5.0 might come as well :p
Definitely. I usually go, but have been busy the past couple months. I'll definitely be there next time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 mustang