Installation of TruCarbon Radio Bezel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Installation of TruCarbon Radio Bezel

For ANYONE considering buying the carbon fiber radio bezel from TruCarbon, realize it is NOT just a simple plug n play type piece. It looks awesome once installed, but it took some SERIOUS ingenuity and fabrication to make it fit perfectly.
Looking at the piece when it arrives, looks like a simple sick on with the double sided 3m tape already on the carbon fiber plate. Problem is, if you stick the radio/fan controls on that as it is, the buttons will be sticking out over 1/4" too far. If you want it to look perfect, you have to build shims to set the radio controls back in so they are flush and look exactly like it came from the factory.
To do this, we sacrificed the OEM panel and cut out the places the radio screwed into the plate. We then ground off the thickness of the plate to get the control buttons to sit perfectly on the face. Once the 4 shim pieces were perfect, I epoxied them to the back side of the new carbon fiber plate. LIKE IT SHOULD BE FROM TRUCARBON!
let it dry and screw on the controls. Everything else fits awesome and it looks off the hook good with the carbon fiber console and the rest of the carbon fiber interior. If anyone wants to install one, I can walk them through it step by step with pics.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just sending it off to have highdrocarboned works great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	142857  
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Looks amazing, too bad it's a PITA...
Grey 2011 GT Brembo, 3.73, ARH LT headers, catted x-pipe, Borla GT500 A/B, JLT cf CAI, MGW shifter, SCT, tuned, Boss oil cooler, Ford Racing springs & adj shocks, GT500 strut mounts, Steeda adj panhard/upper & lower arms. Roush 18x10" wheels with PS2 fronts, R888 305's rear. Eibach GT500 adj swaybars, Boss IM/Strut bar/steering wheel, Ford Racing 90mm TB, GT500 wing, BMR relo brackets, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Cervini Cobra R hood, 2014 GT500 headlight & rear end retrofit...
Matt K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks amazing, too bad it's a PITA...
No doubt. If someone bought the part that wasn't pretty crafty, I cant imagine what they would think or do. You just get the piece shipped with an advertising card included. Nothing else.

Quote:
Just sending it off to have highdrocarboned works great
BNAS, yeah, but this car has so much real carbon fiber, it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. We had the original carbon fiber inlay on the whole interior that AM sold. That crap ought to be pulled off the market. 5 months and it peels bubbles and begins to separate from what ever it is on. You talk about a TRUE PITA, wait till you have to remove that crap. I rubbed blisters on my thumbs and fingers removing the leftover 3M tape it leaves behind. The newer vinyl wrap cutouts are better looking, but dont have the high gloss real carbon fiber look either.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You pay a ton of money for an item and dont even get instructions. My god
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You pay a ton of money for an item and dont even get instructions. My god
I actually FINALLY got a hold of them and talked to the guy who installed the radio bezel on their SEMA car. Was shocked to find that they built up the back of the bezel with 3M tape to get the proper button depth! That would be about 3 or 4 layers of 3M tape! No freaking way would I do that.
I am going to send them pics of exactly what I did so maybe their R&D department can include some shims that would make the install easier. Hoping to get something out of it for helping them out with this.
Like I said before, amazed they brought this to market without a better plan for install. It is ashamed, because the piece looks awesome once installed.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah any of that apply tape type **** is chessy IMO......The pieces I have are deep in very durable. I see it lasting a lifetime really. The guy who does this dipping has some state of the art equipment and does good job. The only thing is you have to part way with your pieces are find some to buy and send off. Jason (HYPERMOTIVE) use to have them in his first GT before getting the boss.
But yeah Deerslayer I know you are not going with no BS or chessy **** either.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I like a LOT of the hydrodipping. Just going without pieces for that long is impossible Considered getting a hydrodipping setup for myself. I have a MILLION things I need camo'd and CF'd
My son's bow has a lot of carbon fiber hydrodipped parts
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

^ SOB!! Where was that at??
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The buck is really not that big, its all in the way you take the pic. My son got him last Sunday on our lease in outside of Hondo.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Hydrodip those antlers!!!

Seriously though.. I wish I would have discovered this thread BEFORE I ordered a console piece...

I know this thread is old, but any chance you still have those directions / instructions / pics?
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I finished the installation.... it was a MAJOR PITA due to fitment issues.

I almost considered stopping and sending it back just because I had to implement some oddball techniques to get it to mount properly.

This video shows how to remove the center console:

Once that is removed there are 2 small screws at the bottom of the bezel. (they are black) remove those and then radio bezel pops off with a screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160916_170110.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	205121  
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT