e85 and proper oil in coyotes. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
e85 and proper oil in coyotes.

Anyone know what the best oil to run with e85 in the coyotes. Im new to e85
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Anyone know what the best oil to run with e85 in the coyotes. Im new to e85
As long as you stick with a quality synthetic, you'll be fine. There's really no need to go above and beyond that. We've used Royal Purple in all of our personal cars and a few employee cars that run on E85. I used to run E85 in my '04 Cobra with Mobil 1 synthetic, too.

Hope this helps!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Anyone know what the best oil to run with e85 in the coyotes. Im new to e85
I run full synthetic Mobil 1 in my lightning and have ever since the break in oil came out. Been running e85 for about 3 seasons now, but I have a complete fuel system. Supposedly it ruins your fuel lines and plastics, but I don't know for sure. It's worth the HP bump for sure and the assurance you get IMO.

Another thing I can say is that oil stays cleaner when you use e85. Seems like it takes longer before it gunks up or changes color at all.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

I run full synthetic Mobil 1 in my lightning and have ever since the break in oil came out. Been running e85 for about 3 seasons now, but I have a complete fuel system. Supposedly it ruins your fuel lines and plastics, but I don't know for sure. It's worth the HP bump for sure and the assurance you get IMO.

Another thing I can say is that oil stays cleaner when you use e85. Seems like it takes longer before it gunks up or changes color at all.
Im already running e85 in my coyote. The fuel lines are good for it in coyotes. I just have 80lb injectors and boost a pump. Its just all motor now, with e85 since the bottle came off.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I just heard from some people that some people run a certain oil while on e85
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Im already running e85 in my coyote. The fuel lines are good for it in coyotes. I just have 80lb injectors and boost a pump. Its just all motor now, with e85 since the bottle came off.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I just heard from some people that some people run a certain oil while on e85
Yeah I am not sure about the oil idea. I usually change oil in my lightning every weekend during racing season lol. It's $$$ but it keeps it all looking/running brand new, and it never stays in there long enough to see any negative effects of the e85 on the oil.

My only worry would be(if I was you) would be if the fuel system can handle it. If that's the case don't worry about it. Another thing to remember is that the engine runs cooler when it's using e85. So I guess you could step up a little in viscosity if you want, but it's up to you.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
The power gain is dam good for just e85. Went from 409/369. To, 440/400 with just the e85 swap/retune
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The power gain is dam good for just e85. Went from 409/369. To, 440/400 with just the e85 swap/retune
That's a huge gain! My lightning went from 634/710 to 681/753 but that's at over 20psi lol.

I'm trying to figure out why this thread got moved lol
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post

That's a huge gain! My lightning went from 634/710 to 681/753 but that's at over 20psi lol.

I'm trying to figure out why this thread got moved lol
Not sure why it got moved. I thought I posted it in the correct place.

I can't wait to add boost now that I left the bottle.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Not sure why it got moved. I thought I posted it in the correct place. I can't wait to add boost now that I left the bottle.
I think because it looks like another "what kinda oil thread" which isn't tech as per our definition. But being that it's pertaining to E85 in the coyote engine, this seems like a new topic not so often discussed on this forum. I'll see if we can move it back.

Btw, to run E85 in a coyote, other then retune is there any other modification needed?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

I think because it looks like another "what kinda oil thread" which isn't tech as per our definition. But being that it's pertaining to E85 in the coyote engine, this seems like a new topic not so often discussed on this forum. I'll see if we can move it back.

Btw, to run E85 in a coyote, other then retune is there any other modification needed?
Yes injectors and boost a pump.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Not sure why it got moved. I thought I posted it in the correct place.

I can't wait to add boost now that I left the bottle.
Well I can't either! I want boost on my coyote sooo bad. I rode in my buddies Paxton GT/CS and his car is a blast! It only makes 580rwhp too, but wow.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Yes injectors and boost a pump.
Exactly! You definitely want to be AT LEAST a step up on injectors because e85 requires more fuel. I don't know what cycle the stock pump runs on, but if it's anywhere near close to 80-85% id say you will have to get a boost a pump otherwise you will run out of fuel quick.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
If you plan on staying NA. you will only need to get 47lb. I have 80's and my boost a pump at 20%
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Does anyone know if Bama can write a tune for an E85 recipe?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Does anyone know if Bama can write a tune for an E85 recipe?
I doubt it. Anything serious they seem to stay away from. If u go email route go with aed or vmp
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Ok. I'd have to buy a new tuner anyway. Mine got jacked a few months ago.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Ok. I'd have to buy a new tuner anyway. Mine got jacked a few months ago.
Wtf?
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Does anyone know if Bama can write a tune for an E85 recipe?
Is this a serious question?
Attached Images
 
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang8psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Delaware
Posts: 110
31 rwhp gain and 31 rwtq gain just from a switch to e85?? in n/a form? that's one of the highest on a bolt on n/a coyote! most people see a gain of 10-15 rwhp 20 at most but 31??? I know a dyno is just a tuning tool.. must have been a happy dyno and different day, different dyno, different temps/conditions.
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Is this a serious question?


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2467806528.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	143008

...
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
31 rwhp gain and 31 rwtq gain just from a switch to e85?? in n/a form? that's one of the highest on a bolt on n/a coyote! most people see a gain of 10-15 rwhp 20 at most but 31??? I know a dyno is just a tuning tool.. must have been a happy dyno and different day, different dyno, different temps/conditions.
No. Every 5.0 I have ever seen gains 30 so do some research b4 you decide to through your 2 since in
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Oh2freshstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes injectors and boost a pump.
So this & a tune is the only things needed to run e85 in the coyote safely. Is there anything else that is recommended but not necessary?
__________________
-2012 Mustang 5.0- Stock (for now)
-2013 Mustang 3.7 (SOLD)- Best 1/8: 9.057 @ 80.67mph
Oh2freshstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
So this & a tune is the only things needed to run e85 in the coyote safely. Is there anything else that is recommended but not necessary?
Boosta pump
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
31 rwhp gain and 31 rwtq gain just from a switch to e85?? in n/a form? that's one of the highest on a bolt on n/a coyote! most people see a gain of 10-15 rwhp 20 at most but 31??? I know a dyno is just a tuning tool.. must have been a happy dyno and different day, different dyno, different temps/conditions.
Yea 31 rwhp seems a little high to me as well. 10-15 rwhp seems a little more realistic.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yea 31 rwhp seems a little high to me as well. 10-15 rwhp seems a little more realistic.
You obviously know nothing about e85. E85 is 106 octane on its own and loves timing. We added 35° of timing into the tune.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

My tuner messed with the tune all day. From 9am to 630 at night. We kept adding timmimg/ taking it out to find the sweet spot. So do not add your opinions when you have no clue what your are talking about.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
And for the person who said temp exc. All #'s are SAE #'s. Which takes out the humidity/temp bc they are all corrected #'s. STD#'s are the ones that read high. Usually 10-12hp difference.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
We also tested the e85 pump I use and it was closer to e90.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
You obviously know nothing about e85. E85 is 106 octane on its own and loves timing. We added 35° of timing into the tune.
Actually no I know all about E85 and you are not going to make 30+ horsepower with it.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Actually no I know all about E85 and you are not going to make 30+ horsepower with it.
Well I did and so have alot of people so do your research. Call all the tuners amd tell them that they are not getting that. Stay slow buddy
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Elmendorf
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,322
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388363868.708633.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	143157

Yeah here you go. This isn't even full bolts and 93 vs e85
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
They are experts on something they have not even done to there car. They don't believe it. Even though it has been done plenty of times. Typical for someone who thinks they know what there talking about.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang8psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Delaware
Posts: 110
um I do and I have a built motor (higher compression) and it's setup for e85.. and for one I didn't see 31+ whp gain.. and I had it done by arguably one of the best tuners in the world for coyote cars and pcm's.. (Jon Lund tuned it in person). I saw about 20 whp gain and I am full bolt ons. Manifold,long tubes, intake, full exhaust. And 47lb injectors are the only thing needed..A BAP does not NEED to be used.. My fuel pressure At wot and Idle is the same with or with out a BAP (I have one only because I will be spraying a 150 shot and never used the spray yet) was 54-56psi so No A BAP is not needed to get a proper E85 tune.. Again a dyno is a tuning tool.. so yours can or could have been just to make you feel beter about your "31 hp gain".. Take it to the track.. With your posted power levels you better be trapping 122-125MPH that will tell the true power.. I put down on a MD mustang dyno 425-430rwhp and 380 rwtq My car with full weight premium 6m 3.73 car. 1.6 60ft ran 11.7-11.6-11.8 at all 120-122 mph depending on tire psi and launch rpms
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
When you guys tuned yours what were the conditions like?

Change in elevation?
Change in temperature?
Change in humidity?

When it comes to higher power cars a simple drop in temperature can make a huge difference in numbers on the dyno. Tuning it one day then tuning it on a different day can give you different numbers even if the car is 100% stock.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
um I do and I have a built motor (higher compression) and it's setup for e85.. and for one I didn't see 31+ whp gain.. and I had it done by arguably one of the best tuners in the world for coyote cars and pcm's.. (Jon Lund tuned it in person). I saw about 20 whp gain and I am full bolt ons. Manifold,long tubes, intake, full exhaust. And 47lb injectors are the only thing needed..A BAP does not NEED to be used.. My fuel pressure At wot and Idle is the same with or with out a BAP (I have one only because I will be spraying a 150 shot and never used the spray yet) was 54-56psi so No A BAP is not needed to get a proper E85 tune.. Again a dyno is a tuning tool.. so yours can or could have been just to make you feel beter about your "31 hp gain".. Take it to the track.. With your posted power levels you better be trapping 122-125MPH that will tell the true power.. I put down on a MD mustang dyno 425-430rwhp and 380 rwtq My car with full weight premium 6m 3.73 car. 1.6 60ft ran 11.7-11.6-11.8 at all 120-122 mph depending on tire psi and launch rpms
I have a boost a pump bc I was running a 300 shot. So take your little 150 and wear a tampon with it buddy. Keep acting like you know what your talking about. This is why this fourom is a joke.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,246
the sae correction factor takes the temperature and humidity into account.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Oh my gosh? John lund???? That is so awesome! !!!
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang8psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Delaware
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I have a boost a pump bc I was running a 300 shot. So take your little 150 and wear a tampon with it buddy. Keep acting like you know what your talking about. This is why this fourom is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
the sae correction factor takes the temperature and humidity into account.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Oh my gosh? John lund???? That is so awesome! !!!
Seems like your the guy or girl getting a bit butt hurt because several people on this board are calling you out !! Again what's your dyno sheet trap?? Put up numbers and results not my dyno number and big "claims " of numbers but no track times and results of them. Don't be mad my person.. cause it sounds like the car doesn't or hasn't ran what your big dyno numbers say they should.. and 300 shot on factory motor?

And if I remember or sorry read back you asked about oil and e85 because you were new e85 but now talking smack to people who do use and have been running it for some time are now " don't know what we are talking about". Again all and others here were saying is your dyno operator could have skewed your numbers a bit because in NA form (not talking about FI) people aren't seeing 30+ rwhp gains with just a switch to e85 and no other mods.. again take it to the track and get some numbers the mph will tell you and others what the cars power is..
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:19 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.