Excessive noise in one piece aluminum driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Excessive noise in one piece aluminum driveshaft

Hey guys, I'm new to the mustang forum. I have a 2012 Mustang GT premium for about two years now. Over the two years I've done multiple mods the latest of which is a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. The install was fairly uneventful and took several hours in my garage. The testdrive revealed that at 2500 to 3000 RPMs I get excessive noise and a slight vibration, after that it smooths out makes no noise or vibration. Has anybody encountered this? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We have a Dynotech One Piece DS and there are no vibrations. Did you adjust your pinion angle?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My pinion angle was set to -2 with my stock two-piece driveshaft. I haven't checked it since I put in the one piece.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I was told by David at Shaft Masters that it could possibly be due to thread locker residue on the existing bolts. Do you think that's even possible that a small trace of thread locker could throw off the driveshaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here is one of the best links for installing a one piece drive shaft and how to check your angles. This is what we did and it works great:

Dynotech Driveshaft Installation
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just out of curiosity does the Dynotech driveshaft have two CV joints?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Have you unbolted it and turned it a spot and bolted back?? Are you TQ. the bolts all the same and right? I highly doubt the Loctite is ur problem. I have shaftmasters 1 piece on my 12 and it is perfect. Was it new? What UCA/UCM are you running? what other susp. mods?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

All of the bolts are torqued to factory specs. I have not messed with it since the vibration occurred. I will work on it this Saturday. My upper control arm is BMR adjustable with the BMR mount. My lower control arms are BMR, nonadjustable. The rear end is A couple of months old. It is a Ford racing 3.73 with trac loc differential.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

The six bolts in the rear end are all supplied from the manufacture, and yes, are all the same. However I did not reinstall the three washers from the OEM driveshaft. I could not get the bolts through, as they were just that much too long to install with the washers

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Thanks for the info Deerslayer. I did check out the Dynotech install video and it was helpful. I'm going to get under my car this Saturday and troubleshoot it
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a minor issue. If it were a serious balance issue, it would shake you apart at high rpm's. May want to rotate the shaft 90 degrees or so and try it out. Do you know if you put the shear bolts back in the same places?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Man the fix for this issue 95% of the time is to rotate it a spot. It should have been the first thing Robert or whoever at SM's told you for the trouble shoot. I bet it will fix it man. Don't sweat it.
On another note I would not drive the car with the vibration till you get time to fix it. You could be replacing a pinion seal if so. Just a heads up.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The two sheer bolts are something I didn't even think about checking as I was not the installer of the new rear end. I will check that out this Saturday. And yes you are correct, it is something minor but it's bugging the hell out of me! There is no vibration at 4000+ RPM

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

The car has been driven very few miles after the install of the one-piece driveshaft. I will be under the car on Saturday to resolve the problem. Thanks for all of your input. I'll let you know what the result is.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonblackpony View Post
The two sheer bolts are something I didn't even think about checking as I was not the installer of the new rear end. I will check that out this Saturday. And yes you are correct, it is something minor but it's bugging the hell out of me! There is no vibration at 4000+ RPM

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

The car has been driven very few miles after the install of the one-piece driveshaft. I will be under the car on Saturday to resolve the problem. Thanks for all of your input. I'll let you know what the result is.
Although I had no say or helpful words, I'm always glad to see members getting help here from other members, its what makes this community an awesome thing to be a part of. Hope everything works out.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT