First Mustang Owned For Ten Days Already Needs Clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
First Mustang Owned For Ten Days Already Needs Clutch

I just purchased a 2010 mustang GT with 27k miles on it. I have had it about ten days and clocked about 800miles of "spirited" driving but nothing too crazy. I was wondering if this is a common issue and if the previous owner really ragged on the car. Keep in mind with all this he had installed a hurst short throw shifter and have been driving manuals since I was 13 and know my way around them. I found it unusual that when i first drove the car it required the clutch to be all the way to the floor to start and was wondering if this is a safety device or was a (missed) sign of clutch wear. The dealer i purchased it from was an Acura dealer and offered no sort of warranty on it except the remaining 7 yr powertrain and I know this won't be covered. The Ford dealership I took it into quoted me 2 grand to get it fixed which seems crazy in itself but i also feel it would be stupid to install the same clutch in the vehicle and not go aftermarket with it. Any advice or insight is much appreciated as I'm pretty heartbroken that it is already in the shop.
Ole Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
That sucks man but 2grand seems way to much for a clutch replacement . I hope you get it fixed soon and get that Stang back on the road!

I test drove a 2011 gt and it had 33,000 miles on it and it had a lot of stuff done to it and the clutch was gone they tried to tell me it was ok I was just used to a earlier model lol
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Its a safety feature. This way if your in gear when you start it you won't go flying forward. You have to clutch in to start its totally normal...
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you've been driving manuals since you were 13 you didn't check over how the clutch felt and acted when you bought the car? Something that went out only 800 miles after you bought it must have been showing some signs of distress.

Somebody beat on it or couldn't drive stick in the cars past life. There's actually nothing wrong with the stock clutch unless you're going for a power adder.

Go to a private shop, you'll get the clutch in and done for under a grand easy. It's a consumable item and somebody stole your lunchbag, unfortunately. This **** happens when you buy a used car sometimes, sadly.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Greg View Post
Keep in mind with all this he had installed a hurst short throw shifter...
That could be a clue.

Question for the experts in the crowd: I had a 83 GT, a 86 GT, and a 92 LX 5.0. I changed the clutch in two of them and it was an easy job. Is a clutch replacement in the new Mustangs a LOT harder than the Fox bodies, or just a little harder?
Bryanw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's easier in some ways, not as much stuff to remove to get the trans
out as some other cars. It's a pretty obvious disassembly to anyone familiar with the job from other RWD vehicles.

Sticking points 2011+ are getting the hydro line disconnected and reconnected, as it's tight up there and the fact if you pull the flywheel, you may have to get it to a Ford dealer for a crank profile relearn. This can be serious as the car may not run right post the replacement.

Bleeding the hydro clutch is easy. Just fill the res it shares with the brakes and pump the pedal about 100 times.

I haven't had to actually do this yet on my 2012 but, I've mapped out the work for the eventuality. It doesn't intimidate me at all, having done lots of these on past vehicles.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's easier in some ways, not as much stuff to remove to get the trans
out as some other cars. It's a pretty obvious disassembly to anyone familiar with the job from other RWD vehicles.

Sticking points are getting the hydro line disconnected and reconnected, as it's tight up there and the fact if you pull the flywheel, you may have to get it to a Ford dealer for a crank profile relearn. This can be serious as the car may not run right post the replacement.

Bleeding the hydro clutch is easy. Just fill the res it shares with the brakes and pump the pedal about 100 times.

I haven't had to actually do this yet on my 2012 but, I've mapped out the work for the eventuality. It doesn't intimidate me at all, having done lots of these on past vehicles.
I figured that the hydraulics would be a minor problem, but would add a new task to the job compared to the Fox body. Didn't know about the flywheel and computer issue. IIRC, the reason for pulling the flywheel is to get it resurfaced, if necessary. Is that right?
Bryanw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Right. You may have to do this, you may not. Really a crapshoot.

Other advantages here with MT82, no shifter removal to pull trans. Evens out the hydro thing over older cars, I think.

Obviously kinda hijacked this from the poor OP with a 3650 in his car....

Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I will NEVER again put in a clutch without getting the flywheel turned. I did it on an old Taurus we had and it would jump like crazy letting the clutch out. Had to pull the trans again to do it right. I would definitely do the flywheel.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
I will NEVER again put in a clutch without getting the flywheel turned. I did it on an old Taurus we had and it would jump like crazy letting the clutch out. Had to pull the trans again to do it right. I would definitely do the flywheel.

+1 you need to get the flywheel turned. No matter how many miles the flywheel is still going to have bad spot on.
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Thats an unfortunate situation for sure. I would go to a small local shop instead of a dealer on this one and get an after market clutch instead. Might as well make the upgrade since you already have to do the replacement!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
Its a safety feature. This way if your in gear when you start it you won't go flying forward. You have to clutch in to start its totally normal...
Your answer is what ^^THIS^^ guy said. I thought my car was originally out of adjustment, but it's the way all of the mustangs on the lot worked. Pedal all the way to the floor before it will turn over.

Not sure what everyone else on the thread is talking about. They seemed to have strayed waaayyy off topic.You never said you had a bad tranny, you were just asking if pushing it to the floor to start was normal.

Oh, and the Ford dealer that quoted you $2k to fix a normally functioning transmission? You might want to steer clear of that dealership.
skramblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
This is normal. My '14 did it with 425 miles on it. It's only my 2nd manual, but it's a habit I formed with my last car to push the clutch all the way in before turning they key just to be safe. I would go to an actual mechanic or contact Ford directly to get it looked at or have Ford verify how their clutch system works on ignition, get it documented, and then try to expose the dealership for being frauds.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

clutch in only engine starts have been a feature of most cars since the '80s.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol yeah I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I've never started a standard car without doing that. Regardless of whether it's in gear or not. I've never attempted not to do it, but it seems normal to me and makes sense.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

From what I gather he's not talking about pushing the clutch in to start it.. He's talking about the fact that the clutch pedal has to TOUCH THE FLOOR in order to start. If the guy has been driving standards for sometime then I would say he is aware that the clutch must be pushed in to start.. His question was if its normal to have to touch the floor with the pedal to start the vehicle.. Answer: Yes, safety feature.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

WTF? The pedal has to be the floor on every car with this feature...you wouldn't want to drag the car with a partially engaged clutch when you start the car....

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

This is apparently the first car this guy has had with this feature.. My 2011 was the first I've been in. And for the record of all the standards I've driven none have had that feature.. Obviously you have to push the clutch in but never been in one that the pedal has to touch the floor(I've driven a lot of standard as I work at an accesories shop).. Just because the pedal is not on the floor does not mean your clutch is not fully engaged.. Once again The guy was just asking if it was normal. It's a new safety feature that auto manufacturers have started using in the last few years
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Strewth, it is not, my 1988 Mustang had it and that wasn't new then.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's crazy lol my buddy had a 98 gt that didn't? I drove it several times.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I know most of the trucks I drive daily don't have it.. Oh well
Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Must have been bad, not normal
MythlinMasterdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

People often disable them so they can install remote starters and other crap. There are even 1970s cars equipped with this.

I teach auto shop presently and, I've had to look at a few cars in the last 30 years in this hobby.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
I will add to this another lesson a buddy and I learned years ago, and that's not to forget thread lock on the flywheel bolts. We had to pull the trans on his Acura again about a week later as one of the bolts backed out and was binding everything up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT